Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

trees

jerred44

im looking to plant some kind of cedars around my food plot, what does everyone recommend, these would eventually screen in the food plot, also im thinking of using some for a fence row screen so people cant see into our fields. these would have to be able to grow both in the open and somewhat in the timber, I was looking at red cedars and white cedars, hopefully I was hoping to plant them in march, any help would be much appreciated

Red cedar. Tough as nails. I believe others have said deer browse white cedar bad.

I have machine planted pines and they grew great and provided cover and a place to put a ladder stand.

There are no pines that iowa deer will not eat, or destroy with rubbing, except,the native red cedar. The only pine type to plant. I have tried all others,. Even Jack Pine,,which did grow well, even in clay. In MI the deer leave them alone. I asked Iowa DNR if the same would be expected with Iowa deer. They said yes, plant some. They were wrong. Iowa deer love em! Rub them to the ground too. Unless heavily fenced. Scotch and Red, get a root disease that eventually kills them. Get red Cedars from the DNR or dig some up and transplant from the many farmers who hate them in their fields.

I have planted some in very high deer density areas and never used tubes on red cedars. The deer leave them alone until they are larger and are not as prickly. You should be fine without them.

I have planted some in very high deer density areas and never used tubes on red cedars. The deer leave them alone until they are larger and are not as prickly. You should be fine without them.

X2 Red cedars thrive on neglect. No weeding, no watering, no tubes needed. Deer don't bother them much until they are well established. I just wish they would grow where I want them to and not everywhere else. Seems so incongruous to spend hours planting hundreds of them in some spots and then turn around and spend more hours to cut, spray & mow hundreds more out of the switch grass... :confused:

In my opinion, red cedar is the best all around wildlife tree for bedding and cover (for deer and pheasants)...

Taking into consideration that spruce and pine can be affected by drought and deer will hammer white pines/norways/austrian...

Once I had planted couple rows of red cedar in an opening in my woods and ended up digging out what was left and planted them in a more exposed area. Certain places on my place that no young evergreen can survive without protection. Is weird how that works, one spot great, different spot the deer are a pack of wolves.

I transplanted some red cedars and the bucks don't care, rubbed them bare

Red cedars are the best. If you don't plant enough of em- absolutely will get hit- BUT- 100+ in an area, you will be fine. and 100+ trees is a small planting for anyone.

If I'm going for cover, I'll do 60% red cedars, 30% shrubs & 10% fruit or unique nut bearing trees and/or some trees that get bushy & hold leaves.

In time they can get real big, but if you want screening soon plant closer. When I planted for a screen I thot many would die,,so planted 2 ft apart. Was from Mi so had no experience with them. Boy was I wrong. They all--survived! Had to thin some. When the trunks get big say, 5, 8 inches diameter, take bottom branches off up 3 or 4 ft. Especially if near deer trails. Bucks love to rub them, and they usually survive the rubbing.

im gonna order some red cedar from another place but the county, has these to offer,

Shagbark Hickory 104 Black Walnut 106 Red Pine 108 Bur Oak 109 Black Cherry 113 Red Oak 127 American Plum 139 Arrowwood Viburnum 161 Bald Cypress 176 Grey Dogwood 178 Silky Dogwood 201 Pecan 211 White Pine 212 White Oak 216 Shellbark Hickory 221 Tulip Poplar 254 Swamp White Oak 261 Cherrybark Oak 262 Shumard Oak 263 Loblolly Pine 264 Chinkapin Oak 266 Overcup Oak

would u guys recommend any on this list

Forget the red pine, I have some chinkapin oaks. supposed to be early producers of acorns ,but mine are not growing that fast. I have them from two different sources. Growing slow, but hopefully some day. Maybe I need to lay some fert to them this spring. If soil is moist enough?

Not for sure, but I would think the loblolly is more for southern Illinois. If you ever order from Missouri's state nursery, you could pick up some pitlolly pines, they might be the best pine to try. They seem to handle buck rubs a little better than other pines, because can sprout lower on the trunk and grow faster than most pines, too.

the cheapest place I can find is a place called coldstream they sell red cedars for .87 per tree if you order 100. I saw that if u live in missouri they sell them to residents for .32 per tree for 100. can out of staters order form the state nursery in Missouri? anyone know

Top Bottom