Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Treestand Height

J

J Becker

i want to end up writing an article about different stand heights with regards to bow (and gun for that matter) hunting. what are your guys' opinions on the matter? like what are the pros and cons to your choice and why do you like it so much?? any imput would be appreciated!! thanks!!

I like to get to 20' if I can, but it normally depends on the terrain. Some of the terrain I hunt allows for lower stand heights.

I feel more confortable with movements about 25' up. Lowest one is about 18...I feel like they're looking at me always down there.

Depends on the tree and the cover available. I've shot'em outta 12' and I've shot'em outta 30'. As long as there is good cover, I'll hunt lower. If its an open area, I'll get as high as I can and still feel comfortable.

I have stands from 15 to 25. On the top of ridges though you can feel level to the ground on one side and 50 ft up on the other! I usually try to stay in the 18 to 22 range though!

Most of mine are between 15 and 20. The tree dictates my height more than anything.

I did notice this past weekend, that I probably need to raise two stands, but they were intentionally hung low to shoot under the leaves. I didn't want to clear every tree in the area for shooting lanes. Once the leaves fall I can raise the stand a couple feet and be out of the line-of-sight.

I'm not particularly fond of being really high, but as long as i'm strapped in I don't even think about it.

I have a 16ft pull retractable pull rope (dog leash) on my climber and I just climb until it's pegged out and it seems to get the job done. I feel the most safe in that stands for some reason...I guess it's because I can fool with the platform until it's "seated" tightly and it's just a solid stand.

I have several that are 15, and several that are 25+

I have done the 30-35 one or two times and I dont really care for it, not that I am that much more uncomfortable, but I spend more time being careful about shot selection with all the branches between 12-25 feet off the ground instead of the ones 6 feet off the ground.

Your scent is supposed to be dissapated (sp?) more by the time it gets to the ground being extra high.

Dean

i have killed deer as high as 25 feet and my wife killed a nice buck a few years ago with a bow in a stand that was about 8 foot off the ground.....each situation is different, but i feel that the terrain is the deciding factor as mentioned above.....

I have stands from 12' to 17' and after last Friday I am thinking 5' /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> each situation is different, but i feel that the terrain is the deciding factor as mentioned above..... </div></div> i agree , depends on area and tree

I don't go above 20 feet. I'm not scared of heights, but I am not comfortable yet with steep angled shots with the bow. A deer that is 10 yards away feels like a straight down shot and the margin or error is much less.

If I got my rifle in hand, I could set up on top of a water tower and be happy.

Ive hunted stands that very from putting my bow on the stand and climbing in and all the up to 35 feet (uncles bear bait stand, hated it!!!) My favorite is about 20 feet, anything lower it feels like their gonna pick you off.

I have hunted as low as 6ft and probably high as 30ft. I guess the biggest factor is what trees are available, and what the foliage is like. I love to be setting about 20ft, but half the time it isn't an option.

Top Bottom