Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

trespass advice

bjkpharmd

First time in 3 years that I know for certain someone was trespassing-, I had occasionally seen the odd footprint but today there were 4 wheeler tracks all over. From snow melt, etc I'd guess yesterday & from trail I'd guess shed hunting. Pretty sure I know the culprit, what is the best way to proceed? I don't want this to become a habit. Land is posted & gated- drove through an open gate away from the road.

if you know who it is i'd ride my 4-wheeler through his front yard and see how he likes it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideally, you would approach the person in a low key manner and explain your desire to not have someone on your property unannounced and ask for his cooperation in not tresspassing your land in the future. If you approach in a hostile or too confrontational manner you may be motivating this person to retaliate in some other way later.

Yes, they've already demonstrated by this point that they don't respect private property, but it may be such a thing that they commonly do this on other land and aren't aware of your preferences. I have found that many people "think" they can tresspass just because no one has confronted them previously or they knew the previous landowner, etc. So sometimes, all that is necessary is a simple request to get compliance.

If the gentlemanly approach does not work, then repeat offenses should be reported to the local CO, but I would try the low key method first. Good luck.

I would only give them one chance before you get the law involved and let them know that.

I stopped at his place yesterday but not at home. Tried to call later but no answer. Sent him a note today asking if he had seen anyone or knew who it could be. I mentioned that I didn't want anyone univited in there & to contact me if he saw anyone- I'd call the law & take it from there. Unless I catch him I wouldn't confront him- too easy to make life hell. He lives 90 seconds away & I'm 90 minutes.

Pharmer... I know it sucks ,but when you said you live 90 minutes away and he lives 90 seconds away you hit the nail on the head. If that guy is determined to go in there it is going to be real difficult to stop it.Like one ol boy I know from down on the missouri border said"Hell, them places with the No Huntin signs is the best damn places to go!" I just hope for your sake he didnt find any big sheds.

shoot him but make sure you dont miss.
burst_em8.gif
tongue.gif

THE TRESPASSER I HAD PROBLEMS WITH NEVER STOPPED TILL I TOOK HIM TO COURT.

SHOOT-SHOVEL-SHUTUP
rambo.gif

I would agree that the first course of action is that you need to be diplomatic and approach your suspected trespasser with honesty but with vigilance.

If they do not respect your wishes, I would recommend that you get documentation of the tresspass (photo, video camera etc) and request the criminal charges be brought against the tresspasser through local law enforcement officers and that they be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Top Bottom