Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

trespassers stand

rc10pt

So today I found out that one of the two stands illegally on my property is a friend of the landowner that abutts me to the south. This sucks cause my timber is land locked and this owner to the south gives me free reign to walk, drive to my timber. I can get to it from the north as well but not near as easy. I'm worried that if I make a big deal out of him having the stand there then he will no longer give me access. Would've at least been nice if they would have asked me first.

That is truly a conundrum. You didn't get an easement with the purchase?

I'm still trying to find out who owns the tree stand and the ground blind with chair that I found yesterday afternoon. I got a pretty good idea and I'm waiting to hear back.

Last edited:
The ground was transferred by will way back to my dad then my dad to me. We've tried to buy ground for a drive or get an ingress/egress easement but the owner just keeps saying that he doesn't want to sell any ground and that we can continue to use it as needed. All that is fine and dandy until something like this comes along or even worse he sells it and the next owner doesn't let us use it like we do now. Guess I gotta keep him happy for now???

They have to allow an easement to land locked ground! We dont all have helicopters around...tell him to pull the stand since he did not ask! Just saying ....

You are correct. By law you are allowed access to land locked ground by the easiest, simplest, shortest, least destructive route as possible to be determined by the court (if I wanted to really push the envelope). I'm fairly certain they would deem this route to be from an adjoining farm to the north which I seldom use because it is approx 1/4 mi walk right next to timber that adjoins mine, I'm constantly bumping deer when using this route. I am also allowed to shoot on to the guys ground to the south so its not like he's being a Dick, its just that he shouldn't allow people hang stands in property that isn't his.

Not saying the guy is right, because he is obviously in the wrong, but is there any chance that the hunter thinks he is on your neighbors property and not yours? It could just be a simple misunderstand. That is no excuse, but a possibility perhaps.

Is it on the line fence where yours and his meet... Because i have that problem right now... But want to be friendly with the neighbor, but the guy that hunts that stand is an ass...

Maybe the friend thinks he's on the landowners side? I would just ask the landowner for his number so you can contact him so you don't mess up each other's hunt since his stand is on your land and see what the reaction is from the landowner. It's still your land and he should have asked just as you ask to drive on his property.

wrong location

leave a note on stand stating the property line if this doesn't work take the stand and call the DNR and explain the problem you may have to go to a court if it's worth it but if you do expect fall out from it by the neighbor,:mad:

I did have a note in the stand. I chose to leave the note with my number so we could discuss the issue, but instead the guy ran right to the landowner throwing me under the bus. I could have been an ass and took it down right away, guess this is what I get for being somewhat nice. The tree it is affixed to is about 6-8 feet north of the fence into my property so I don't think he can say its a tree on the line fence. Like I said before, there are no trees south of the line fence it is all tillable ground. I'm not that big of a hardass not to let him keep it there but I live an hour+ away and when I hunt it would be nice to know that somebody else hasn't already burned the spot or worse is up there when I arrive, but sounds like this guy just wants free reign and makes me out to be the bad guy.

if he wants to be an ass, i'd kick him out and hope your relationship with the landowner is good enough to avoid any repercussions.

Top Bottom