Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tresspassers, Thieves, and Shed Poachers

A few years ago a man (Levi ??) can't remember last name....walked onto some guys property around Albia. Got his picture taken on trail cam carrying out a backpack full of sheds and holding some in his hand. Believe his fine was less than $200. Claimed he found all of the sheds on other properties. Iowa needs tougher trespass laws. I too can't believe a concerted effort by a number of groups/individuals couldn't effect legislative change. Help me to understand...WHO would oppose a stifffer fine ??(Assoc. of Trespassers/Outlaws and Poachers !)

on a side note i know what kind of boots leave that track.. I have them they are a cabelas model i'll have to check them when i get home but its a pretty unique track

A few years ago a man (Levi ??) can't remember last name....walked onto some guys property around Albia. Got his picture taken on trail cam carrying out a backpack full of sheds and holding some in his hand. Believe his fine was less than $200. Claimed he found all of the sheds on other properties. Iowa needs tougher trespass laws. I too can't believe a concerted effort by a number of groups/individuals couldn't effect legislative change. Help me to understand...WHO would oppose a stifffer fine ??(Assoc. of Trespassers/Outlaws and Poachers !)

This is a prime example of why things aren't going to get any better unless we do something! If this guy was only fined $200, guess what he was probably out doing the following week or the next year? More of the same! These "slap on the wrist" penalties aren't going to deter the hardcore violators.

It's ridiculous that honest hunters and landowners are having to put up with this. Why should a guy feel like he has to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on extra trail cameras devoted specifically to catching tresspassers? Why should a guy feel like he has to hide his cameras or put them 12 ft up in a tree. Why should guys feel like they have to get out and shed hunt their property before they are ready to pick up the sheds before shed poachers do. Why should guys have to constantly patrol their property during shotgun seasons to keep tresspassers off? Something is seriously wrong when people are having to do these things.

If you have permission to hunt a property or if you own property, you should have the right to enjoy that property and not worry about tresspassers, poachers, and thieves. Our rights are being seriously infringed upon and we need to be fighting this at a much higher level! We need MUCH tougher laws or we will always be dealing with these problems!

Does anyone on this site have any experience with working on legislative issues? I'm just not sure how to proceed with this but am willing to learn and be involved?

Why should a guy feel like he has to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on extra trail cameras devoted specifically to catching tresspassers? Why should a guy feel like he has to hide his cameras or put them 12 ft up in a tree. Why should guys feel like they have to get out and shed hunt their property before they are ready to pick up the sheds before shed poachers do. Why should guys have to constantly patrol their property during shotgun seasons to keep tresspassers off?

They shouldn't............and after reading this thread I am just a bit happier to be enduring yet another brutal cold Saskatchewan winter.

One of my farms close to home gets shed hunted every year by someone. All i find is empty beer cans!:mad:

In light of this whole conversation, I am almost content NOT being a landowner (except for the acreage I live on.) Seems to be turning into a bigger headache every year for those that try to catch trespassers. Not to mention expensive.

Top Bottom