Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tried Direct Seeding Acorns

Central Iowa

Life Member
I gave it a try this weekend. I talked to friend that has had good luck direct seeding and went from there as well as a help from another friend that put up the labor of collecting the acorns "Thanks Bud!". Here is his method that I followed. Collect freshly fallen White Oak acorns, soak for a day in pond or creek, broadcast on freshly disked soil, lightly disk 3-4 inches deep to cover, and then pack. I followed his directions as close as possible. When we arrived at the farm Friday night I tied the bags to a rope and threw them in the pond. I pulled them out Saturday afternoon and put them in the dirt and packed them in after a light disking with help from the rest of the family the broadcasting went pretty quick as two of us sat in the back of the Ranger and a third person drove with a goal of a acorn every 2-4 square feet more or less. Of course with all that freshly disked dirt I had to lay down a heavy dose of soybeans to make an excellent early season attraction plot to sit over /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif! Time will tell, will update next year. Maybe someday my boy will tell his kids about planting those Oaks!
acorns_11.JPG

acorns_2.JPG

acorns_4.JPG

acorns_3.JPG

acorns_5.JPG

Looks great! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Did you sow all white oaks and how many lbs to the acre do you suppose?

They will be 3 inches tall before the ground freezes. Have to whack some bunnys now /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

What is the potential for growth on oaks in the 1st year ? Will a person have to care for them for several years to get them established ? Good luck !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time will tell, will update next year. Maybe someday my boy will tell his kids about planting those Oaks!
</div></div>

Man..that is just awesome stuff Travis! I'm looking forward to seeing some "new timber" coming up in that field!!

Keep us posted!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What species of oaks did you sow and how many lbs to the acre do you suppose?
</div></div> These were White Oaks. Weight I would guess 80-100 lbs after soaking or about 2-3 bushels an acre would be a estimate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What is the potential for growth on oaks in the 1st year ? Will a person have to care for them for several years to get them established ? Good luck ! </div></div> I only asked for the first chapter I will have have to ask what's next. I can see adding more every year if this works well.

I planted about a 5 gallon bucket full last weekend along the edge of a timber. I just used a spade to make a slit in the ground threw the acorn in and closed it up, kind of curious to see what pops up next year. If I see some progress I will do it again next year.

Central, good job you did it the right way hope you get a good stand. You might want to dust off the .22 cuz you just created a huge squirrel bait pile LOL. IMHO direct seeding is the way to go for trees if your planting a large area. Another thing you could still do for more diversity is spread some Ash, Cherry or other fine seeds on top and just drag them in they will also help hide some of those precious oaks.

I hope those were "Round-up Ready Acorns"! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

That looks like GREAT FARM GROUND, did you get some CRP with tree plantings for it OR are you just sucking it up and converting it without a program & funding????

Great Stuff!!!!! Direct seeding will provide the best first years growth since there will be no transplant shock. I am going to do quite a bit of direct seeding this year and using the blue-x tubes to hopefully keep the varmits from finding too many of the seeds. I am going to put the walnuts 3 inches deep and the tube that deep also so hopefully the squirrels cannot dig them up. There are seeds from top timber quality trees.

I will also be doing this with american chestnut, peach, apple, black cherry, wild plum and a big tree plum that is not id'd yet by the MDC as the exact type of plum. I will report the results back next summer.

I intend to do this at some point but never seem to have my pllan together. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Top Bottom