Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Triple digits

I hope they come down.. my goal is to buy as soon as I graduate college.( two years). I've been looking already trying to get ideas. Just hope prices come down a bit

Better buy before you get married and have kids! Or at least don't let the wife pick the house!

I'd like to see it come down as well, so it would be more affordable. Although, with many sharing that same desire, once it did drop to a certain level, the price would just go back up due to the increased demand at that price.

I truly believe guys like Winke are having more EHD issues that neighbor/herd issues. But as he sees that he is forced into the realization of what the rest of the state is facing and is making a case to protect his "industry."

Agree, we lost every single buck over 2-3 years old....from EHD. Nothing left but young deer.

Also, 200" genetics are not common. They can exist in the herd, but the offspring of a 200" buck are not all 200". Many fully mature bucks are 140-160" in Iowa. Time we learn to enjoy hunting for what it is, not a competition to grow and kill bigger deer than last year.

Better buy before you get married and have kids! Or at least don't let the wife pick the house!

I'd like to see it come down as well, so it would be more affordable. Although, with many sharing that same desire, once it did drop to a certain level, the price would just go back up due to the increased demand at that price.

Well if I keep the same woman.. she wants the same as me. So hopefully we can get a place. Haha just no kids for awhile

Damn, buying land is turning into a risky investment. There was a time where people thought housing was the most secure investment out there. I also think land prices are in a bubble.

Except for the very premium areas of the state, I just don't think deer hunting has much impact on those prices.

I'm young and have been looking into buying for a few years now, but am in no rush whatsoever. There was no way I was gonna buy when crop prices were at an all-time high, and I'm still willing to wait a few more years for them to drop further. It's a weird time for the worldwide corn demand... there's a lot going on domestically and internationally. I'm willing to see that through. Now that crop prices are going down, I would expect land prices to follow - we've seen it before. It's cyclical like anything else. I feel sorry for anyone who bought crop ground the last few years.

The average rural landowner has been growing older. These people die. With inheritance taxes the way they are, people can't afford to keep a piece of land. There will be a lot of sellers in the next decade or so. That will drive prices down just as much as crop prices will.

I'm willing to continue knocking on doors until then.

i've been meaning to reply to a lot of the hot topics on here lately. The Sate of Iowa vs the NR, Tracy Templetons letter, the Governor on Winkes show, etc.

I'm a NRLO and and have been lurking on this site for a while. I first came to Iowa about 10 years ago and fell in love with the place. I ended up slowly buying land. I don't want the laws to change concerning NRLO and we let a resident neighbor have very easy access to our land to hunt with his family and friends, it is a win win situation for both of us because we value his friendship, honesty and now his hospitality, and he looks over our land like it is his.

Concerning Recreational land prices and values, someone already said it is only worth what someone will pay for it. My brother and I bought a 40 . I still feel we grossly over paid for that first piece, but my 1/2 share cost me less then what a loaded full size F250 4 x 4 is going for these days. With a car loan you can pay off in 5 years do the math, almost any motivated person can afford land if they want it bad enough. I do construction work so I went on a limb but still pulled it off. We have now added to that first piece and will never look back

I wish I would have bought when land was 1000 an acre, and in 10 years people will say I wish I bought when land was 2000 an acre.

Everything in this world is changing fast. Every winter I pick up a book called Come November. If you get a chance buy a copy and read it. The book is probably over 10 years old and a great read. It is unbelievable how much things have changed since that book was written and how spot on some of the advice or stories are.

All you Iowa residents live in a great place. Where we live it is a common to have to lease farms if you want to hunt. Some farms get double leased for waterfowl and deer. If you want to buy a piece of land , do your homework, check out the neighborhood and don't wait to long. These might be the good old days.

Looking forward to my next two trips this spring.

Your one of the few that actually get it. Big props and enjoy your property. Hopefully you will shoot a giant in the years to come.

Top Bottom