Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trolling Buck

BugleMIn

Here is the story.

It's been a bad season for me, you may remember my broadhead question and problems I had with my arrows. So I switched to lighter arrows and went back to thunderheads on Nov. 9th.

I had been seeing all kinds of 100 - 120 class 8 pointers, but was holding out.

Finally on Wednesday morning I figured I better lower my standards. There are some monsters in the area, but time was running out and they quickly go back to being nocturnal. I snuck in and set up my climbing stand. I watched about 15 turkeys, they were very vocal and one was half strutting. Totally different sounds than I typically hear them make in the spring. I then heard a ruckus 100 yards behind me. I saw a buck and quietly rattled.

I got no response and thought he was gone. I forgot my grunt tube that morning. 30 minutes later I see him again, he had made a sweeping circle of the area trolling for does and was coming by again in front of me. I lightly clashed my antlers and no response, so I dropped them into the leaves trying to get his attention. No response.

He got all the way around me (full half circle) and picked up my trail coming in. I laid out some Scrape Juice while walking in. He was nervous I could tell he was also smelling me on the trail. He would stop and sniff and then jump when he got a whiff of my scent on the trail. The wind was in my favor though. He got into 30 yards and was walking right to me. He went behind a tree and I drew. He then picked up his pace and before I knew it
he was 17 yards coming straight in, no shot. Then he turned broadside and wham!!!. My arrow hit high, it knocked him to the ground. It was sticking out both sides of him below the spine above the sweet spot. He got up
and I sent another one into him. This one also hit high, but knocked him to the ground again. The second shot hit the spine and he stayed down. I then unloaded my quiver!!!. There was no way I was letting him get up so he could run off.

He was actually bigger than I thought after I got on the ground and looked at him. He is a typical 5 on one side and a four on the other but one tine is forked making him a 10 point.

I still need to work on my shooting! I don't know how much of a factor the stand height had on the shot. I think buck fever is the biggest factor. The arrows with broadheads fly true at the range.

Still have my statewide tag and hope to fill it this weekend.

BugleMIn

2002emhPark2.jpg

congrats man, that's a heckuva hunt! i especially like the part where you "unloaded" your quiver into him!! what broadheads did you go with by the way?

Way to stick it to him the 2nd time! Only way to go. My buddy lost one in Iowa back in 2000 due to failing to make a quick follow up. I did it once here in Indiana back in 94. Would have been very easy but I was inexperienced.

Top Bottom