Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trouble with Leashed tracking dog rule changes

wildlands

Brian posted the below info over on the United Blood Trackers forum. I thought it worth of reposting over here so that more people would see it and be able to help out. Please take the time to contact the Govenor's office and show your support for the leaglization of Leashed tracking dogs for recovering wounded game.

Ken

"I am asking for your help once more. The rule making pertaining to the use of leashed dogs to track wounded deer in Iowa is getting close. Apparently, since we have a new Governor in Iowa he has changed the rule making process the Iowa DNR has had in the past. He now has the authority to delay rules or turn them down even after the people have spoke their wishes. Last week I had some info from the Iowa DNR that the Governor possibly doesn’t understand the use of a leashed dog to track wounded deer or may have someone on his committee that doesn’t understand this rule. I would think these people could look at the petition that was put together and get any info that is needed. After all the hard work and time that has been put into getting this rule legalized I hate to see politics take over and turn this down or delay it because a minority doesn’t understand it. If you could take the time to contact the Iowa DNR director and Governor I would really appreciate it. There is no need for a long letter; just let them know you are in support of it. You don’t need to be from Iowa to contact them. Any support will help. Please feel free to pass this along to any interested parties. The contacts would be at;

[email protected] - (Iowa DNR Director)

You should be able to contact Governor Branstad through his web page at;

http://www.governor.iowa.gov/

When you get into the Governor website go to the top right hand corner, hit the contact tab and then hit the registering opinion tab. Let them know how you feel.

Thank you for your support,

Brian Hibbs

Oxford, IA

Big twist, The govenor has sent the proposed rule change back to the DNR. He is supposedly supportive of the measure of using tracking dogs but said that a hunter/ tracker should not have to have the dog on leash. Brian never wanted this not does he think it is the right time to pursue off leash tracking. We are wondering since the govenors office had all these questions and concerns to begin with if this is not a measure to kill this rule change without having to do anything. He knows that any proposed change will have to go back back up for an open comment time were hunters are sure to oppose this measure. Then the DNR can say there is opposition to this and not make the rule change. Please contact the GOV.'s office to ask him to leave the rule change alone just as it is. Leashed tracking dogs will be a great assest to the hunters of Iowa if the rules are ever changed.

Ken Parker
UBT board member

Thanks for the info. I'll send my emails today!

I just bought a wirehaired dachshund pup with the understanding that this rule would be changed. I'm well into researching and training already. Being colorblind, I'm gonna be dependent on him...I hope I'm not faced with a situation where it will be illegal to use him, cuz he's a natural!

Wildlands,

Do you know what the Senate File (SF #) or House File (HF #) numbers are for the bill (if applicable)?

I had a difficult time interpreting whether this proposed change was going to be legislative or from the policy end within the DNR???

Hey Pack Nasty,
Last year I did a petition to the DNR for the use of Leashed dogs to track Wounded deer. The Natural Resource Committee all voted yes to move forward with the change. The DNR asked if I minded to wait until this year to do the required posting of the intended rule change, public comment period ect.. They said it would make it easier for them to do it that way. It could of been a done deal last year but I agreed to wait. Since last year we have a new Governor and a new DNR director. Governor Branstad has changed the process for petitioning and rulewriting and this thing might be delayed longer. I have been told by the Governor's office that Gov.Branstad supports the use of tracking deer with a dog to aide in recovering the animal. Last week they told me they are researching to decide if the dog should be leashed or not. I explained I believe the dog should be under the control of the handler to prevent trespassing, running healthy deer issues ect.. Once they decide how they want it, this rule change will have to go before the NRC and go through the steps once more. At any rate I am glad the Governor agrees tracking wounded deer with a dog is a good thing. It may take more time to get some of the bugs worked out. Welcome to politics I quess.This is being pushed through as an Administrative rule change. There is no SF# or HF#. Originally I went through a legislator and tried it that way. I was told a committee of three politicians that knew nothing about hunting talked any negatives they could think of pertaining to it and funneled it out. The DNR then suggested I go the petition route. Since the petition last year the DNR has been good to work with and are on board for this rule. Willie Suchy of the DNR has told me if this doesn't go through in time this year he thinks he is going to inform his wildlife officers to allow tracking if asked. I live in Johnson Co. and the DNR officers have allowed me to track the last several years. Sorry for the long answer but that's what I know now. Good luck with your new pup. I own WHD's myself. Brian

Top Bottom