Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trying to get lab pups...

hotshott2289

anyone have experience breeding dogs? we've been trying for the past year to get lab pups between our dogs. We've tried to get them to do it on their own but our female is a little feisty so this go around we took both to the vet and had them do it artificially. just took her in yesterday for x-rays and once again no dice.. Any thoughts? as we are about to give up. Both are excellent master hunters and fantastic hunting dogs which is going to be disappointing if we can't get pups

I just had my bitch ultra sounded yesterday. She's empty. Second try on her. Her mother missed first time. Settled second time AI'd. Had one I bred three times, then placed her, spayed. Other dog people have complained alot that this has been an impossible year to get pups.

how old is your bitch, and how many times has she cycled. I'm learning too.

How old is she? She in good health, not run down from trials or hunting? Sometimes the high strung girls just don't get it done.

she's 4 closing in on 5.. dont do trials anymore she strictly hunts anymore. thinking maybe should try another stud or give up.. if we give up it'll probably happen when we don't want it anymore lol

anyone have experience breeding dogs? we've been trying for the past year to get lab pups between our dogs. We've tried to get them to do it on their own but our female is a little feisty so this go around we took both to the vet and had them do it artificially. just took her in yesterday for x-rays and once again no dice.. Any thoughts? as we are about to give up. Both are excellent master hunters and fantastic hunting dogs which is going to be disappointing if we can't get pups

The fact that she is "feisty" about it may be because she knows what is best for her body. Most females will be aggressive up until the time that they are ready, and some simply aren't ready and never will be. I have bred several litters and had no problem with any of them, however there is a certain window of time when it will work. At what stage in her cycle are you trying to breed her ? Have you done fertility tests on either him or her. Nature has a way of keeping things the way they should be, and perhaps it's just not meant to be. JMO --Best of luck

Of all the litters that I or my dad ever raised, we always tried to breed the female on the 9th, 11th and 13th day of the heat cycle after we notice her swell or bleed. I would put her with the male in with her on those days. If you have a good hang up, two of the three days should be enough but if the first time is a short hang up then breed on all 3 of the days.

One other thought, are they kenneled or run together all day everyday? If so, you might try separating them about a week before she comes in heat. She might be more receptive to him then when the time is right.

Just some thoughts from previous experience.

I am by no means an expert, I show dogs, confirmation, rally, and working on some herding, the last 6 years I've managed to get 3 litters out what seems like a rediculous amount of effort.

when I complain to othe dog show people, the one thing I hear over and over, if you want a brood bitch, you gotta breed her on her second heat. If you skip the second heat, alot of bitches will not produce. Alwys exceptions to that. But just something to think about. Perhaps a younger bitch, or lease a proven bitch, or like someone else said a high producing experienced male. Just trying to throw some thoughts out.

Top Bottom