Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TSI Book?

Not aware of one.

It really seems like more an art than science though. There are things to watch like when to spray a cut and when not to spray a cut as certain species roots will kill others while others don't when sprayed. Someone that does it for a living might be willing to let you tag along?

I do timber stand improvement work for a living (meager at best). It's physically demanding, spooky dangerous, and is extremely subjective. What are your goals? Oak regeneration (good luck), croptree release, site prep for planting? Ever since I lucked into 70 acres in northeast Iowa, I've become much less ruthless on clients' properties. I learned the "art" by reading everything I could find remotely related to forest management practices. I also spent as much time as I could bugging a couple of respected DNR Foresters with countless questions. Attending workshops can be a great benefit as well as you get a chance to "compare notes" with other landowners. I will suggest that you contact your local DNR Forester and quiz him/her about related material they may have or direct you to. They will also walk your woods with you and develop a forest stewardship plan with your goals in mind. However, nothing can replace monitoring the efforts you've put in with your chainsaw, Tordon and your choice of pain relieving substance. It's also been my experience that after a day or two into a project and one to many close calls, landowners find it easier to call one of the fools like me to take over.

Can't add much to gonenuts except this. If you are getting cost share money for TSI and therefore have a forestry plan in place, that will largely determine what to cut. If you are doing it on your own, you can cut whatever. I've spent a few days with gonenuts in the woods pestering him with questions about it all and it is a very inexact science. Everyone has their favorite tree. It pained me to see you guys down south cutting all that shagbark, its one of my favs for some reason, probably because I don't have a lot of it on my ground. John wouldn't cut a black ash for anything. One guy we were cutting with had a thing for butternut. It's all about your goals and personal preference. It is dangerous tho. John, tell us about the wasp nest last year. And you can imagine what grapevines running through tree tops can do to cause hangups. It can be chainsaw fun if you have a ironwood stand to eliminate. First thing a book would say is buy a helmet with face shield and protective chaps!!!!

Top Bottom