Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TSI

Ghost

Life Member
I am in the process of getting ready to do a major TSI (Timber Stand Improvement) project on my ground.

My goal is to achieve higher quality deer and turkey habitat.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has completed a TSI project on their own ground.

[ QUOTE ]
I am in the process of getting ready to do a major TSI (Timber Stand Improvement) project on my ground.

My goal is to achieve higher quality deer and turkey habitat.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone that has completed a TSI project on their own ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this in conjunction with a DNR Forester recommended TSI...or...or just something your doing on your own Ghost?

I have never done a TSI projects that I was paid for, but I have had our area forester walk my property and point out which trees to kill and which to leave and why.
Since then I have just followed his advice and I slowly have been killing everything but the oaks of all species. I kill shingle oak if they are setting back a more desirable oak species.
Some use fire also, but I prefer the brush and encourage brush, blackberry thickets. I also encourage red cedars. My own feelings are that proper timber managment (for timber) does not always go hand in hand with managing for wildlife. Turkeys of course prefer the open timber habitat but I prefer more brushy areas for deer.
My forester just told me to girdle the undesirable trees, but I tip them over often living them alive and basically making a mess...not exactly proper TSI
smirk.gif

Lot of good ideas at this site: http://www.iowadnr.com/forestry/private.html

Check out Sample plan #1 good pics and info there.

Yes, I am working closely with a very good distric forester and there will be a very good plan in place specifically for wildlife habitat. In other words, I'm not just releasing "crop" trees to market.
waytogo.gif

Spent most of the day doing "something"...but I would hardly call it TSI
smirk.gif
That would be like comparing a heart surgeon to a chain saw massacre (what I do, much closer to the latter
grin.gif
)
Just a few notes that come to mind, since this is a somewhat dangerous segment of deer habitat management...

Make sure someone is with you, being pinned under a tree all alone doesn't seem like the best thing!

If you have a hardhat...wear it! Had a locust tree drop straight down and drive a thorn into the top of my head!
doah.gif

Make sure you have a clear path to "get away"...no matter that I notched the tree, allowed for the wind, etc....sometimes the thing just comes backwards, or rolls off another tree...and
bigshock.gif

Steel toes would have come in handy when one tree dropped straight down on my foot!
cussing.gif

Basically plan for the unexpected because you may just find out how fast you can crawl thru a multiflora rose bush, or how easily you can trip and drive your chainsaw blade into the mud...trying to get away in the milli second it takes for a tree to come down...the wrong way!
icon_redface[1].gif

Last but not least...for those of you that are married...don't forget to dump all the woodchips out of your pockets...BEFORE...your jeans end up in the washing machine!
nono.gif

If the falling trees or the chainsaw don't kill you...your wife will!
busted.gif

Great points dbltree. I spent about 4 hours cutting hickory on Saturday and either learned or practiced the points you brought up. I realized why loggers get paid good money. ALWAYS have a cell phone and a buddy with you. It sure was fun standing on the next ridge and looking at the mess we made when we were wore out.
grin.gif

One of the nice things about just girdling trees is you get to carry a really light saw as it only takes a short bar and the trees don't fall down for a couple years. After a tree has stood and dries out, when it does fall it is less likely to damage a neighboring tree. Doesn't take the place of making a mess of snags for cover and browse but sure quicker and safer.

Right on Pharmer. We girdled the big ones that would have caused to much damage to the good oaks that surrounded them. Those hickorys that were 2 ft. in diameter will probably stand for quite sometime but the canopy will be opened up nonetheless.

Does anyone have good before and after photos of their TSI. I would like to see some pictures taken during the fall to show how thick the understory looks without any leaves.

Two things to consider Ghost ...
a TSI for wildlife maybe a little different than a TSI for timber value and the DNR Foresters sometimes have a hard time seeing the wildlife TSI potential ...
and don't bite off more than you can chew, 20 acres of TSI is alot of work, we signed up for 40 acres last year and found ourselves coming too close to being in the woods the first of October with chainsaws instead of bows ...
doah.gif

I took along a little "cheapo" disposable camera (chainsaws and falling trees didn't seem like a safe place for an expensive camera) so eventually I'll post some pics. I do have a spot that is like 4-5 years old...all "tipped" over trees, grown up to brambles...deer LOVE that spot!!
laugh.gif

Here's a link to "edge feathering" which shows the size of trees I was working with. Not "timber" by any means, but very old overgrown pastures.
http://www.mo.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/forms/out/JSBIOL18EdgeFeathering2_2005.pdf#search='edge%20feathering'

Girdling is of course the proper way for true TSI, but I want a "mess"
evil.gif

I want tipped over trees, crossed every which way which opens it up for a wild mess of blackberry and multiflora rose. The kind of stuff deer love to bed in and feed in mid-day. I cut the trees mostly 2-4' high so that they will send out sprouts. I want the kind of cover that "party hunters" would rather walk around then thru
waytogo.gif

I had deer coming out into a low hidden field from every place, so I tipped all the "edge trees" out into the fields and then used the tractor and loader and pushed them around to act as a "fence" to force deer thru only a couple of runways (just happens to be by my stands
wink.gif
)

This site has great info about all types of wildlife habitat one can create with a chainsaw, from brushpiles to TSI
smile.gif

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/edge.asp

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was "wore out"...had to eat a 1/2 bottle of Aleve after a day of "chainsaw massacre"
icon_chain.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Two things to consider Ghost ...
a TSI for wildlife maybe a little different than a TSI for timber value and the DNR Foresters sometimes have a hard time seeing the wildlife TSI potential ...
and don't bite off more than you can chew, 20 acres of TSI is alot of work, we signed up for 40 acres last year and found ourselves coming too close to being in the woods the first of October with chainsaws instead of bows ...
doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to have all the work done. I realize I can't do 80 acres by myself.
waytogo.gif

The results or TSI are pretty amazing. I have seen a timber that looked like a perfectly grazed cow pasture, turn into the thickest nastiest thing you can imagine. The quality of hunting and the amount of deer on the guys land is phenomenol, compared to the first year he bought it. It will work
grin.gif
It sures getting to and from your tree stand tricky though
blush.gif

I don't think anyone said they were bad. Deer love Shingle Oak acorns. I think he was refering to releasing the better White Oaks from the Shingle Oaks. White Oak will make a much more valuable log in the future than a Shingle Oak.

Here is a link to Tree ID if you are interested...

Tree ID

I am just far enough south to be on the northern edge of the Post Oak range. Interesting tree with a cross shaped leaf, not much timber value, they grow on the edges so I leave them alone.

[ QUOTE ]
These trees at my place hear the Missouri turkeys gobble they are so far south.

[/ QUOTE ]
bigshock.gif
bigshock.gif
grin.gif

I have recently started a TSI program in my timber. Slowly but surely I have been gradling the ironwood, hackberry, and poor quality trees. Trying to promote the growth of oak, walnut, elm, and cherry trees. The ironwoods seem to be a real problem. The ironwoods are the real fine barked trees that are still carrying some of their leaves to this day. Anybody else running in to this type of tree/problem?

Top Bottom