Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TSI

You leave the elms? What do the elms provide for food for deer and turks? reason I ask, I hacked out better than 40 of them of all sizes this past weekend on my place.
confused.gif
Did I mess things up there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just your kids future mushroom crop.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] You took the words right out of my mouth Bonk. I always girdle the elms so they can still help me out with my mushroom harvest.
grin.gif

Well, most are still standing....just ringed the biggest ones. Not worried about the shrooms anyways...I'm not a huge fan of em.

[ QUOTE ]
You leave the elms? What do the elms provide for food for deer and turks? reason I ask, I hacked out better than 40 of them of all sizes this past weekend on my place.
confused.gif
Did I mess things up there?

[/ QUOTE ]
You did the right thing...besides according to that article in the PMA section...if we want shrooms, we can just go over to Bonker's and if he hollers...we''ll just have him arrested!
grin.gif

Elms would be the first to go on my place! Someone posted awhile back...where would you go if you were a big buck? It sure wouldn't be in open timber. Turkeys love open timber I know and if you have some good oak stands then take care of them...they are worth a lot! Anything else I would want cedars and brush!! I walked thru some open timber recently and then walked thru some draws full of cedar and thick brush. The open timber had almost no deer sign of any kind, let alone a big buck. The thick draws however were full of huge rubs as far as one could see and deer runways cut deep into the banks.
It appears that the DNR is trying to hose us on the "firearms in archery season deal"....so I want to make sure my deer are safe....that they feel protected and if the does aren't likely to leave, niether will Ole Hugie!
waytogo.gif

I save the white elms not the piss elms. The white elms seem to produce the most mushrooms so that is why i save them.

Thought I would add a few pictures to this old post full of good information. Remember to consider where these intended bedding areas are being placed taking account of prevailing winds, thermals, human activity, existing travel routes, etc. These pictures where taken on the edge of a tsi project from the same spot. Shows you just how much a little chainsaw work can transform a mostly verticle stand into a horiz. stand of preferred bedding cover. Not only do you get the instant cover from the saw but as sun light reaches the ground it will flourish with fresh growth, and browse.

The first picture shows the area that has not been cut.
1106TSIsized2-med.jpg

The following pictures show diffrent angles of the same area that has been cut. Where would you rather seek cover?
1106TSIsized1-med.jpg

1106TSIsized-med.jpg

Anyone want to comment on what their TSI looks like 1-2 years later? I noticed some of these posts were old so should have changed a lot by now. Good thread, need to fire up the saw....

[ QUOTE ]
Where would you rather seek cover?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great example Travis! Be interesting to see a pic of that spot in a year or two!
waytogo.gif

Before you head out with the chain saw, make sure you are well educated on tree identification and crop tree release.

The best and most time effective way to educate yourself is to spend an afternoon with a knowledgeable forester.

TSI is much more complicated that just going out and tipping over/and or girdling trees.

If done right, it can provide a great boost to your deer/turkey habitat, as well as increase the value of your future timber harvest.

Just finished up mine, and hopefully I can get some pictures taken to share soon.
waytogo.gif

The hardest thing for me to swallow, was having to kill some trees that I didn't want to. I don't think that part was ever easy for me during the whole process.

Three beautiful white oaks all sharing the same canopy and having to girdle two of them just didn't seem to get any easier as the job progressed.
frown.gif

Ouch! Taking out 2 white oaks, I bet that did hurt. Not something I will be doing since I don't own the land! He lets me cut a little, but only maples and trash as he designates. He sells timber regularly so quite a few have been girdled in the past.

I'm betting that the ice and wind is going to have changed the look of my timber. Still had quite a few dead standing trees from TSI 5 years ago. After they are dead that long- they don't weigh as much when they do fall and cause less damage to surrounding trees.

Top Bottom