Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tsi

I have a small block of timber that I bought that I have been fortunate enough to harvest a very nice deer and have pictures of several more that travel it. However, its mostly all night movement, and I don't feel that the timber is of that high of quality? Lots of multi-floral rose and thorn trees. There are however, also lots of mature and immature oaks and the acorn production was insane this year. I just don't feel like my timber holds the deer well or at all. This may be due to having larger tracts of timber in 3 directions, but they do use it as a travel area. Just mostly at night. I have NO CLUE when it comes to TSI. I did have a DNR guy come through that's just on the biology side and he commented that one area would almost be better to cut it out and start from scratch. I don't feel that this is the route I want to go down at all seems like this could be counter productive for the next several years. Advice?

Read up on Timber Stand Improvement part & bedding & hinging in dbltree's section on here.
I would highly recommend trying to hire someone who really knows their stuff to mark things for you. 50-100 year decisions you're making and not a place for mistakes like food plots can be. Really learn your tree species as well.... having experts out, photos & books with you - be able to know trees by bark, leaves and twig endings.
I'd absolutely do some hinge cutting. no question. I'd also free up your oaks & walnuts. For starters, you essentially could butcher elm, hickory that's too thick, locust, etc. TSI is a very difficult subject and I could easily spend 2-3 hours with someone going over things and it doesn't come close to getting it figured out. I personally think a guy could spend 3-4 years really being proficient and smart about it. Again, why you need some experts there who really know their stuff, do it right and will take the time to teach and help you with the project.

and yes, your goal of holding more deer, browse, more attractive area, bedding area creation, etc - TSI & hinge cutting work wonders and is, in my opinion, the most critical and impactful thing you can do to a piece of land.

Clear cutting means thick/nasty in a year or two. How thick is your timber right now? Anytime you can cut out junk to release young oaks that is a win win for you and the deer.

Every timber is different with different tree species favored depending on what is there. I'm with Skip, TSI, hinge cutting and chainsaw work in general is the best thing you can do for a property.

Top Bottom