Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tunning my bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to own a BowTech Airraide but I sold it because the bowtech dealer that I used to go to couldn't tune it. It was throwing spirals through the air each time. I was trying to paper tune it at the bowtech shop with help from the dealer and he ended up telling me that some bows just aren't paper tunable. Is that true? Are some bows really not paper tunable? I thought he was feeding me a line of bull but I would like some others input on this subject. Thank you

all newer bows are tunable. more then likely it was your arrows. i had the same problem and it was my arrow the spline wasnt right. so i switched arrows and my problem went away. i think he was feeding u a line bcuz he was tired of messing with it...just my thoughts on it

I agree with fbfzh. I get mine VERY close to bullet hole but dont get to worried about until I shoot broadheads. Broadhead tuning is where its at. Shoot a field point and then a BH. If they DO NOT HIT THE SAME SPOT you are not tuned. Then move the rest TOWARDS the fieldpoint until they have the same point of impact.

Forget where they hit the target. If the FP hits dead center and the BH tipped arrow hits 3" right. Move your rest 1/16" inch to the left (chase the field points). The next two arrrows may show that the FP is now 2" left of center but the BH is still right....but now only 1.5". Move the rest left again and this time you will find they are almost touching (FP and BH) but now both are 5" left of where you aimed. But...you are now tuned :)

Then...and only then should you re-sight your bow and your gold!

The reason I say start with almost perfect paper tune is that after a BH tune, you may shoot through paper and notice that it is off again. But, BH is where it is at and NOBODY can paper tune your bow as it is specific to your grip and form.

Dont forget fletch contact, face contact, bad release, torque etc etc. Could be alot of things.

If your spine is too weak it is a losing game. Better to err on the side of too stiff, although perfect is best :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the good info guys. I had tried about every arrow imaginable and still couldn't get my bow to shoot straight which is why I sold it. I changed to hoyt and couldnt be happier. I just wish I could bad mouth the dealer who sold the bowtech bow to me because he is all about selling bows as fast as possible but he will not sit down and help someone figure out whats wrong when they have a problem which is why I will never buy anything off him again and I would like to suggest that no one on this forum does either. I dont know if I should give out a name though.

Thanks for the good info guys. I had tried about every arrow imaginable and still couldn't get my bow to shoot straight which is why I sold it. I changed to hoyt and couldnt be happier. I just wish I could bad mouth the dealer who sold the bowtech bow to me because he is all about selling bows as fast as possible but he will not sit down and help someone figure out whats wrong when they have a problem which is why I will never buy anything off him again and I would like to suggest that no one on this forum does either. I dont know if I should give out a name though.

I wouldn't give out a name. It probably wasn't his fault at all. I bet you were torqueing the grip. If he had the centershot close and you were still getting a tear more than likely it was your grip. There's a lot of different variables that could cause bad arrow flight arrow spine, torque, bow tune etc. Some bows are very finicky and some aren't. I usually shoot thru paper just to see where it's at but walk-back tuning or broadhead tuning is really the most accurate way to tune a bow. Every bow's different and every shooter is different.

For example I had a guy ask me to tune is brand new Mathews Z-7 Extreme the other day. He was getting a pretty nasty tear and could see some bad arrow flight. I checked timing and centershot and adjusted the centershot a smidge. Still a terrible paper tear. I asked if I could shoot it and shot 3 perfect bullet holes. It was his grip. He's gotta change his grip a bit or live with it.

the dealer actually shot the bow a couple times and still couldnt figure it out but he could sell 3 bows while I was in there waiting on him to help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom