Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Activity????

Iowaide

Okay, I haven't seen anyone posting about what the birds are doing yet. I have been out the past two days and the gobbling has been "alright". I haven't had any toms that are really running to a call. I have seen a ton of hens out and about in the CRP. Looks like nesting activity to me? Is the best hunting yet to come? Seems like it the gobbling is good off the roost and then things shut down for the most part. I did notice someone saying the hens were still in the trees way after the toms. I have seen this too. Anyhow, it would be nice to hear what others are seeing the birds do as well. Thanks. Sean

Two words from what I can tell right now...

"Henned UP"

I havn't seen a tom with less than 6 hens with him yet, though I've only got one hunt in this year.

You are correct about the CRP, that's where I bagged my tom yesterday morning. No gobbling after 7:00 in any direction in my area, my advice is to find where the hens are going an hour after flydown and set up shop there, you may have to wait it out, but the toms will show up. I killed mine at 9:30 yesterday morning, he was following a hen into my field, he walked right by me, shot him at 10 yards. 24 pounds, 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.

Yeah I can't seem to drag any away from the hens. I did get to see 1 tom breed 2 different hens yesturday morning. Its the first time I have seen that.
The birds I have seen the last days have been noisy while in the roost and for about 15 minutes after they fly down. Then they henned up and shut up. I couldn't get them to respond to my calling at all. It could be my calling though
grin.gif
I'm no pro.

True!!
however, the hens really seem to be leaving the gobblers mid morning.
i have been noticing that the birds are starting to fire back up around 9:30-10
keep after em!!!

one word...SUCKS

opening morning i barely heard any gobbles, and NONE close. i finally got sick of nothing happening, and left. as i was headed to the road, there they were. atleast 4 gobblers and i couldn't count the hens. i kept headed for home, then got pissed and decided to go back and try to put the sneak on them. i almost got busted by a hen, i dropped to the ground and waited. 2 hens led the big boss to his doom.

set up where they are going to be, and wait

[ QUOTE ]

"Henned UP"

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much sums it up for me as well. The first season is starting a little tough.

Nice to know im not the only one, they were henned up for youth season! I'm thinking 2nd might be decent, birds should be becoming callable around 10am I'm thinking.

[ QUOTE ]

"Henned UP"

I havn't seen a tom with less than 6 hens with him yet, though I've only got one hunt in this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with muddy, they seem pretty henned up right now.

Top Bottom