Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Beards

S

SHEDHEAD

I have wondered for quite some time how realistic is it for someone to shoot a turkey with a 13"-plus beard. I've shot some birds that I believe to be only 2-year old birds with 10"-11" beards but I've also shot some old birds that still only had the same beard length. Do any of you know how much a turkey adds to its beard length each year? I've been told by some turkey hunting veterans that a turkey won't usually have a beard longer than 10.5"-12" because they break off from them stepping on them while feeding, dragging on the ground, or from snow/ice build-up. I know that some exceptionally long-bearded turkeys are shot every year, but for the most part are turkeys going to have a beard under 11"-12"? Have any of you seen live birds with exceptionally long beards? Just wondering if I'm being too hopeful in trying to bag that 30 pounder with a 14" beard!?!?

It's darn near 60 degrees today and I heard a turkey gobble this morning!!! Any of you thinking about turkeys yet? I know it's a few weeks away but it will sneak up on us. Where are all the die hard turkey hunters--I'm anxious to hear some responses to this "turkey beard" topic that is still on my mind!! Thanks.

In my experience if you take your bird in the early season before they really start strutting the beards have been longer. Late season birds for me have been 10 to 12 inches typically. I beleive it also depends on what terrain your turkeys are strutting on. I do beleive that the beards get broken off while strutting or even fighting. I think a 14" beard is pushing it though, but i wish you luck anyway. No proof on my theories other than hours chasing toms. Season is coming fast I too have heard a few stray gobbles.

When I was in college my professor in wildlife management class told me that a turkeys beard wore off from dragging on the ground feeding. But genetics also plays a part, if a turkey has a little longer legs his beard won't being dragging near so low to the ground, so it wouldn't be worn off as short. So hope for a long legged turkey.

I'm optimistic this year. Like I said on a different post, last year was our first year out, and we called in 8 birds between 2 setups. At the second on, we called in 5, and one was a HUGE bird. He was in half strut and his beard was nearly to the ground! Worst part about it was I was facing the wrong way, and my dad and brother didn't seen any of the birds until they had already started off.
Also, though I didn't wittness it, one of my dad's friends stumbled upon a group of turkies in his truck one day, witha big bodied tom. He drove towards him with hid truck and that bird couldn't even get himself off the ground!

Thanks for the info. I've heard alot of the same things, but never knew if it was just hearsay or the gospel. The thing about a turkey with long legs will have a long beard I've heard before too. It seems logical enough so I guess I'll start looking for long-legged gobblers and field judging them just like deer--8" femur, 10" fibula, and a 12" tibula should make a B&C longbeard!

A beard can only get so long before it start dragging on stuff. So when the fibers (ok, technically they are feathers) start taking that kind of abuse, the tips break off. Unless you have an exceptionally long legged turkey the beard are all going to pretty much have a maximum length.

Top Bottom