Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Broods

Muskrat24

Came across two separate groups of turkeys one had three mature hens, one of which had two poults. Second group had five hens and four Tom’s/Jake’s with no poults. The long beard of the group was strutting this morning. Another bad year for broods…..

The few turkeys I’ve seen have been in deep vegetation, so deep it hid poults if there were any. Hearing and seeing lots of bobwhite quail, though. They must have had a good nesting season with the dry spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neighbor does a lot of trapping on his place. Have more turkeys than I've ever seen on our farm this year.

Great sight to see. I don't even mind if they eat up my food plots either..

I’ve had a good year on baby birds… turkeys, pheasants & quail. Clearly some years are “bad nesting years”…. Maybe this year was one of them in certain areas?? We seemed to have good season. We also were in drought when others were not too.

I’m convinced the difference between the current /NEW amount of birds - which is staggering …. Is due to killing nest raiders. I’m gonna guess this started in a big area around us about 5 years ago now. We did regular trapping & then depredation & now the law allows anyone to do it…. In 5 years I’ll bet we killed 2,000+ nest raiders in a big area. I’d guess 85% coon, remainder possum with a few skunk. It’s insanity how many birds are around now. For example, In “deer country” that had “very few pheasants” (maybe saw one in a week for example) …. I could probably limit out on roosters in couple hours.

Sucky springs for hatch sure take their toll but the more guys that spend just a bit of time on these nest raiders…. Incredible to see results.

Starting to think its more weather related than predator related..

We've seen a LOT lower rate of fawns with does this year. Yet more turkey poults than I've ever seen on our farm..

Hot dry spring = Hard on fawns but helps young birds (turkeys, quail, etc?). Inverse could be true for wet springs ??

Starting to think its more weather related than predator related..

We've seen a LOT lower rate of fawns with does this year. Yet more turkey poults than I've ever seen on our farm..

Hot dry spring = Hard on fawns but helps young birds (turkeys, quail, etc?). Inverse could be true for wet springs ??
I think you are on to something here. I forget the details exactly...but all ground based birds are VERY vulnerable to even heavy dew, let alone rain, etc, in the spring when they are first hatched. When they are still downy and not yet feathered, it doesn't take much moisture and they are then very vulnerable to death from exposure.

The upside of the widespread dry weather during this critical phase is much better brood success for turks, quail, pheasants, etc. I was hearing at least 4 separate quail whistling last week at my place and I am confident that I wasn't hearing all of them.

Predators are also a big factor, particularly when a critter can wipe out a whole nest in one swipe. Drop your predator numbers AND get a dry spring...BOOM...birds everywhere. :)

Our local turkey population has been decimated and coon and coyote populations are off the charts, it would difficult to imagine these trends are unrelated. Going to see what I can do about that…

I have 18 chick's and 4 hens walking across my yard daily.
My dog is sorta scared of turkeys but I get a little nervous that she might try one of the small ones.

I don’t know if anyone else follows pheasants forever Facebook page but they do “Pheasant Fact Fridays” and they are a very interesting read I posted some below. Just goes to show how much there really is to nesting success in birds even without predators. Big thing I notice is the chicks diet of insects. Add insecticides on crops and boom big impact.

ad25d5c79d16c2c347d2b88b30e858f5.jpg

f4601ad093a897e706bd0fad2e13fa30.jpg

198922a842274eca001b39bbfc66646b.jpg

fe61025891e915f952708673aa3a4bc2.jpg

f601ad732e00f246bdcab1379f115173.jpg

5e5aa7aa3b56f26310bbc03e4553a3f9.jpg

I don’t know if anyone else follows pheasants forever Facebook page but they do “Pheasant Fact Fridays” and they are a very interesting read I posted some below. Just goes to show how much there really is to nesting success in birds even without predators. Big thing I notice is the chicks diet of insects. Add insecticides on crops and boom big impact.

ad25d5c79d16c2c347d2b88b30e858f5.jpg

f4601ad093a897e706bd0fad2e13fa30.jpg

198922a842274eca001b39bbfc66646b.jpg

fe61025891e915f952708673aa3a4bc2.jpg

f601ad732e00f246bdcab1379f115173.jpg

5e5aa7aa3b56f26310bbc03e4553a3f9.jpg

I always liked those areas where winter rye or winter wheat is left standing.

Those areas seem to harbor a lot of hens with poults when the annual weeds start to come up in it.

I always liked those areas where winter rye or winter wheat is left standing.

Those areas seem to harbor a lot of hens with poults when the annual weeds start to come up in it.

+1. Clover + wheat or rye makes a great nesting combination come spring. Many quail flushed from these locations.

Top Bottom