Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

turkey fryer

D

dewclaw

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks on deep frying wild turkey? I have done this only once before and just loved it, moist and juicy. Hopefully I'll tip one over in April and be able to fry one up again. What is your favorite way to do this?

I don't think there is a better way to cook turkey. This is the way I cook and get excellent results.

Use a tall small diameter pot for the best oil displacement. This will allow use of less oil and lessen chance for overflow.

Most fryers come with a rack to place the bird on, some are better than others. If you can get one that has a flat drain disc on the bottom, these work very nice. They support the bird the best and are user friendly.

Place bird in the fryer pot with water to determine your oil level. Oil level should barely cover the bird.

Then take bird out and marinade with rubs or injectables. MAKE SURE you dry off the bird inside and out with a towel. Getting moisture off the bird is very important. It will make your cook a lot nicer. Use anything that isn't real viscous for injection. Be creative. I like to use tabasco sauce for my spicey birds. I've found that it takes a lot of marinade to get a bird to take on the flavor well.

Bring oil temp up to 375 degrees before placing the bird. Place the bird on the rack with the body cavity facing down. This is very important as it allows the body cavity to fill easily with oil and will allow the oil to penetrate the bird better when cooking. It also reduces the chance for overflow (spatter). Make sure you have no skin blocking the void in the neck area. The oil will circulate through the cavity much better this way. Lower the bird in VERY slow to prevent overflow and spatter. Once bird is in, the temp will take a dive and you'll have to bring the heat back up quick. This takes a pretty good amount of heat. Once your temp is at 350 degrees back your flame down and hold it there for the duration. When your temp is where you want it, it takes much less flame to hold it there. Cooking time is 3.5 minutes per pound. Some birds may become blackened almost appearing burnt, depending on the seasonings. This doesn't make difference, you'll find the meat will be fine.

Using this method I've never had a bad bird. Very little mess from the oil also.

I did a couple birds for my boys at the firehouse on Thanksgiving. Some had never had a fried bird and said they've never had better!

GOOD LUCK.

I've started placing the bird- breast down on the rack. Much less splatter from oil bubbling through the body cavity. I never understood why one way was listed in directions vs the other.

I think cooking time should be adjusted slightly if you are frying a wild bird because a wild bird is a longer, thinner bird compared to its barnyard brother. I would also plan on overflow on your first bird just in case!

Top Bottom