Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Hunting

Rauk42

Hey guys so I am going to try turkey hunting this year for the first time, I've got plenty of private land with tons of turkeys on them. What season does a guy pick? I know first season is out because I want to hunting on the weekends. Any advice or tips would be awesome! Don't know much about turkey hunting but have always wanted to try it out. Thanks!

I like the 4th season - you get more time to get after birds. This is assuming the land you're hunting isn't going to be pressured by other people seasons 1-3

Good luck!!! I'm in Michigan so don't have much advice for you since I don't know your seasons. This is my first year hunting turkeys as well, my season is April 28 through May 4th. Excited to give it a try and see if I can't stumble my way into some fun.

For sure 4th season then I would decide between 3rd and second depending on which you have more time to hunt. On one hand it's nice to give them a break but I like to people to keep going

Hey guys so I am going to try turkey hunting this year for the first time, I've got plenty of private land with tons of turkeys on them. What season does a guy pick? I know first season is out because I want to hunting on the weekends. Any advice or tips would be awesome! Don't know much about turkey hunting but have always wanted to try it out. Thanks!

Find a buddy or someone who has done it and tag along. Turkey hunting can be the easiest thing and it can also be the most frustrating. Only way to figure it out is with time and over time you'll gain confidence in calling in certain situations and not in others. Learn the birds habits come season and know that less is more, don't over call. That is the first thing rookies tend to do, call call call. You have a bird that's hot (gobbling and cutting himself off) let curiosity kill the cat and he will come, however if you keep calling every time he gobbles you will more than likely be a losing dog in that battle. Turkey hunting is a blast and one of my favorite things to do in the spring, it's overall stress free, there is no scent control, playing the wind and being set up before light. If you don't wake up on time, sleep in until 10 and hunt until 2, odds are good he will be out searching for another fine lady to breed. Season dates, all depends on the weather, 2nd season everybody and their dog will be hunting so if you have land that others can also hunt I'd steer clear of that. I personally love first season, you have first crack at birds and odds are good you can get on a group of multiple dumb 2 years olds which makes for some fun hunting. If those don't work I'd just hold off and buy 2 fourth season tags, all 4 season are equally good in terms of bird activity the kicker in the equation however is the weather in terms of how much it will effect you as a hunter (super windy-won't hear em gobble) (rain-birds tend to be less vocal) (etc etc etc)

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!!

Just keep after them, don't get discouraged, don't overthink your calling. Turkeys are fun to hunt. Starting out my biggest hurdle was not second guessing myself or my calling. When you first start out its easy to get discouraged if you get in a group of older birds. They seem to sit and strut out of range then turn and leave and naturally the first thing that comes to your mind is what did I do wrong? Don't worry about it, get on another group of birds or change locations the next morning. Go out hunting as often as you can no matter what time of day. If you put your time in and hunt where there are turkeys, you shouldn't have a problem getting a shot opportunity. I think the most important thing to my set up is roosting the birds the night before. Get on a ridge before dark and glass till you find them, that will give you a great starting point for the next mornings hunt. Just remember not to set up too close and the earlier you get set up the better. Good luck!

Thanks guys for all the replies, this is very helpful! I've got two of my bowhunting buddies going with me so we will all be learning this together. Cant wait! So a few of you guys said going two seasons? You can do that? I havent read the regulations or rules yet, have to do that within a couple of days. Can you guys explain that to me abit more? Thanks!

In Iowa you can get two tags. One can be season 1, 2, 3, or 4 and the other has to be season 4. Unless you get two archery tags, then you can get two tags that are good for all seasons!

Also wanted to say that is all private ground that no one else can hunt and the surrounding properties are private also. Total I'd say I've got atleast 1000 acres to chase them around on. Thanks again guys!

Went up to Des Moines last weekend with a buddy saw a few strutters out Saturday morning along the way good luck to all going after them gobblers this year

Top Bottom