Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Season Report

Iowaide

Now that the turkey season is quickly approaching a week old what type of activity is everyone seeing? I thought I would start this post since the Rut Report was such a good tool. The birds that I have been seeing as of this morning are all still pretty bunched up. Not exactly running to a call yet. Of course that could be my fault too!

I'm with you Muddy. I had a long beard 50yards from my blind this morning for 30min. I could not understand why he would not come in to my decoys. Then i found out why. He was following a hen the whole 30min.
frown.gif

Vman, my son and I had three Toms at about 75 yards for more than an hour that just would not budge.

Jason laid down some good video footage and we sure had fun but just could seal the deal for Gabe during youth season.

My daughter is on deck for this weekend!
waytogo.gif

My buddy tagged out Monday but said he sat and watched the same bunch of birds for three hours before they even moved his direction. Another two hours after that and something spooked them. Luckily a nice two year old came running past him. Not text book, but sometimes it takes a little luck.
grin.gif

I agree with what everyone else is saying, got one bird really fired up and he was a loner so I was lucky enough to pull him into the dekes. Also had another bird come in on Monday that busted me. Tuesday evening me and my brother found a lonely tom making his way across a pasture and he was very responsive to calling, strutted and gobbled when I yelped at him, then came on a dead sprint to 25 yds. after a little purring.

Finally got into some birds this morning. Three good toms in the bunch and none would budge from their hens. They hung up at 50-60 yards. Worse yet the biggest tom ran off one of the other Tom's who was heading my way! Once the hen's start leaving the bunch to nest I think a lot birds will die. Until then I keep looking a dumb one to get into bow range!

Hunted Monday ,saw 2 hens heard 1 gobble.
Hunted same place Tuesday AM numerous gobblers on the same ridge.Tree gobbling good.Shut up when they landed.Had 1 Tom and 3 hens come in from behind -spooked them.Decided to change locations.Came over top of pasture and see the tips of 2 fans.Belly crawled across the pasture
7 hens stick their heads up and bust me.I stand, one of the toms quits strutting ,sticks his head up.Kaboom.
24 lbs ,10 3/4 inch beard , 1 1/8 spurs
Sometimes its good to be lucky.
OA

I have yet to hear a gobble once they hit the ground. Had a group working my way this morning until the farmer thought he would take a drive around the fields.
frown.gif

Opening morning we set up along a river between two timbers. All we had come through was a single hen. We had one gobbling in the south timber on roost.But like everyone else after fly down they shut up. Then In the evening I went solo because my hunting partner had to attend his kids track meet. Did I mention it was windy on monday
confused.gif
Anyway I set up solo with a jake about 3 ft. behind a ready to breed hen,8yds.from the double bull. Started calling every 5-7 minutes with no response for about an hour. Then I went silent for 1/2 hr. No luck. Then all of a sudden 150yds out in the pasture timber four long beards appeared. I yelped to them and all four became alert,looking my way. So I called again and the race was on. Here they came at a dead sprint to the deeks. The past 5 yrs of turkey hunting I've never had them come running to me like that.Anyway so I cleared all my crap outa the way drew my Mathews tipped with a spitfire 100. I told myself the first bird to clear the window was mine which luckly was the biggest. I stopped him at 8 yds and let r fly. He went about 30yds and dropped. 23lbs. 10 3/4"and 5" double beard and stubby spurs. Let me tell ya I was all
grin.gif

Awesome to hear, I am going out in 2 days and I plan on sitting all day, just can't get them in the house, you never know when they'll step out!!

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to hear a gobble once they hit the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]
Have to agree. Haven't heard gobbling activity once they are on the ground.

I hate to go against the grain guy's but I've heard more gobbling on the ground this year then I've ever heard.
You all must be saying thing's they don't wanna hear!!!
grin.gif

Top Bottom