Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Situations?

H

hershy

...I hunted 1st season and the toms in my area were extremely henned-up...they would gobble once or twice in the morning - on the roost (if at all)...the hens would answer then fly-down and lead the toms away...few gobbles were heard after fly-down...I am guessing they were too busy strutting for the girls...what have you guy's been experiencing with the turkeys this year?...and where are you hunting in Iowa?...I was in East-Central Iowa...

Poor season for me, SE Iowa. Had very few gobbles once birds were on the ground. one strutter just over a hill with hens- hunt wrecked by pack of dogs on Monday AM. Wind & heat made hunting hard the rest of the day & Tuesday. Wednesday I was back in same place above the hill- lots of AM gobbles on the roost but none on the ground. Bird strutted with hens where I was on Monday AM. Worked several things but no luck- hens finally led tom away. Rest of the day spent trying to figure them out but got skunked.

Me and my son also heard and seen alot of hen's,they were very noisy on the roost and I think they were flying down and going to the toms because everything got real quiet about 7am.I think 3rd and 4th season's will be better with most of the breeding going on now.

Top Bottom