Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkeys and other seed hunters

whitetailnut

Hey guys, I've planted a number of plots this summer and fall and most are doing great. However with the long dry spell we had some seed didnt do much for a while. I have to plots that I planted in rye, oats and some red clover for next summer. I broadcast the seed and rolled it in with a yard roller. Both of the plots got hammered by turkeys and they decimated my seed. Do I try to bury it a little?? Any thoughts on keeping the turkeys out??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I try to bury it a little?? Any thoughts on keeping the turkeys out?? </div></div>

I had the same problem in an earlier brassica plot. I tilled down spring oats so they went crazy scrathing for those oats and didn't do the brassicas an favors in a few areas... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I just posted more info on planting depths for grains in the Cereal Grain thread. Where turkeys or dry weather is a problem I would lightly till, disc, drag or harrow the grain seed several inches deep.

Then roll and then broadcast clover seed (or any small seeds like brassicas etc.) and re-roll to cover that.

Turkeys may still tear things up and mess with the clover seed (not eating it but scratching may destroy germinating seeds) but the cereal grains should be fine.

You can always frost seed more clover this winter and you could re-broadcast some rye ahead of a good rain to add to what you have should there be bare or thin spots.

Tough to keep the turkeys out...scarecrow maybe? Dress him in camo and make em look like a turkey hunter /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

thanks dbl, they havent seemed to bother my clover or rape or turnips I think cuz the seed is so small. But the big fluffy stuff probly had 20% germination. I reseeded all my oat/rye plots last tues and have had rain every other day since so I hope that got them started. Thanks again, I'll check the cereal grain post.

Top Bottom