Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnip tidbits...

Daver

PMA Member
Just because I know others have had varying experiences before on turnips, I thought I would give a "turnip report" from my place for a conversation starter. :)

I have one(approx. 1/2 acre) fair to good stand of turnips this year and one other(approx. 1/2 acre) that I would have to judge as poor, but there are some there.

It appears as though I overseeded in most areas due to the fact that I have a lot of small ones, close together in some areas and I knew I was underfertilized, although I did do some. (More work is required to build my soil, both of these areas are fairly poor soil that has not been improved much yet, but the locations were too good to pass up so I am going to continue to build it up, etc.)

But if any deer have been feeding on these turnips yet I sure can't tell it. I do have good to very good activity on rye and clover though that in some cases are immediately adjacent to the turnips. (Deer densities are strong to too strong even in my area.)

I know that others plant turnips in "the neighborhood", but so far, there is not a strong attraction to mine. I do suspect that things will change as they sugar up and other food sources, which are now still very plentiful, get worn down.

Would you like me to send a few over to help yours learn that they are indeed tasty Dave? :D

Over seeding is easy to do with that fine seed and they do require plenty of soil nutrients so it's worth it to spend a few bucks on a soil test.

You can plant rye on almost anything with no inputs and get away with it but brassicas require a little more TLC...;)

One of my first experiences with turnips was being disappointed in the lack of action/activity on the turnip plot. Then, in November, in MN, I walked up to my plot and it looked like someone had mowed it (seriously!) I saw between 10-15 deer on that plot every time I hunted it in November and early December until they wiped it out. Be patient.

Top Bottom