Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turnips

I think its a 50/50 shot but if you get them to grow I think the bulbs will be very small. Agreed with above post, plant ground hog forage radishes instead. This late I'd personally pland Doubletree's winter rye/clover mix in most of my field. It is an awesome draw

Thanks for reply. I put some in last week of July and they look great but think I should of waited little longer. Thought about putting a strip through clover plot.

Like sligh said, radishes would do great now if you planted them. I'm planting radishes and rye this weekend. Turnips should still do fine you just won't get a really big bulb like you would if you planted late July/early August. They'll still get sweet though at the first frost and draw deer. :way:

I planted turnips August 18th one year, and like has been said, they had very small bulbs, but the deer loved 'em!! Seems awfully late to me, but if you get timely rains and mild temps through mid October, you'd probably be OK.

You could plant turnips still and get a crop yet, but you are probably looking at golfball sized bulbs max v. softball sized bulbs if you had planted in late July/early August. I agree that radishes are a better brassica choice at this date.

Top Bottom