Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TV- Ruining Deer Hunting?

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
So, lately I can't help but notice a few comments about 'TV' ruining deer hunting....or, something along those lines. What's your opinion on this? Has deer hunting on TV ruined hunting? Have you learned anything from it......Or is it the devil? What about facebook? Forums like IowaWhitetail.com, IowaSportsman.com, Archerytalk? Online Shows? Etc.

Let's keep this civil......go! :way:

I would say yes and no.
Yes because the commercialization of hunting has given many people false expectations of what hunting is or should be. There are many shows and sites that do a great job at displaying what hunting really is about, but there are a host of others that push the trophy aspect way too far IMO.
No because there really is a lot to be learned through watching the "pros" do what they do. Even the shows wrapped around trophy hunting are still giving good advice regarding tactics and methods.

Not unlike alot of the other sports on TV, I for one love watching hunting shows on TV and am proud that in this day in age with all the political correctness that we have the media outlets for hunting that we do. With that being said......do I think that everyone on TV represents sportsmen in a positive light.....Nope, but that is the case in all aspects of life. There are a ton of athletes that are poor poor poor role models and don't conduct themselves very well.

The thing about hunting shows is that the average "hunter" can relate closely to the people that they watch. What do I mean by that? Well, how many people that played high school football ever had a chance to play in the NFL? A small percentage at best. How many people can run the 100 meter dash in under 10 seconds? How many people can dunk a basketball or hit a 90mph fastball? My point is that not many of us can do any of these things, but on any given day, anyone that hunts can kill a trophy whitetail or hunt elk out west or chase moose in Alaska.

IMO this is where alot of the jealousy or envy or what have you comes from in the hunting world. There is a legit chance that with some hard work and knowledge anyone can consistenly kill big whitetails, it's just that most don't want to or don't have time to put the time and effort that it takes to be successfull into it. Sure, some of the people on TV caught breaks or knew someone to put themselves in their current positons, but IMO that is the case with any career choice.

For every person that is on TV, I know 10 people that work harder and kill bigger deer and are more successful, they just choose not to pursue TV or video for whatever reason, family, career, etc.

My point is that in any situation where others can closely relate to those they watch, you will always have that "I can do that better" or I don't like the way they do that" mentality.

In the end, it's all for entertainment value, and thats it. Sponsors and products and TV have revolutionized the hunting industry and added so many people to our sport that otherwise would'nt have ever tried it, and for that reason alone, it can't be viewed as a negative.

Sure there are less properties to hunt, more regulations, higher standards in some instances, but in the end, it's still about being in a stand or blind on cold crisp morning watching the woods come alive and waiting for that "chance of lifetime" that drives almost all hunters to do what we do. And in that regard, we are almost all the same!

I'm sure many of you will disagree, but if you really stop and think about it, what would rather watch on TV? Honey boo boo.......... doubt it :rolleyes:

I don't have any of the channels and don't watch any videos. Lot of reasons, too busy, some suck, some are so-so, most sit there and show buck after buck being killed that I just walked in the door passing 5 like the ones they shoot! (and I don't mean that in a snobby way, it's just no fun coming in from hunting & passing 5 bucks 2-4 years old and watch a half a dozen 3 year olds get blasted), don't pay for those channels on cable, etc, blah blah.

LAST WEEK - I SAW A COUPLE SHOWS AT A BUDDY'S HOUSE.... What struck me was not the "commercialization of hunting".... It was just the COMMERCIALS... Oh my gosh, every 15 seconds they had to plug some crap, pan over a logo, mention a product, etc, etc. It was non-stop marketing & a non-stop commercial. I guess if I watched sports they have some of that (I don't watch sports either) but I don't even think it's to near the degree us hunters put on these shows. Whoa, I hate commercials (coming from a guy who watches all DVR tv or DVD's of shows I like in the small time I have) to begin with an whoa- what the heck is our industry doing with a vomiting amount of plugs & non stop pimping?!?!?! Not a huge deal but sure enough where I sure ain't tuning back in to watch 40 commercials in a 25 minute period.

Not unlike alot of the other sports on TV, I for one love watching hunting shows on TV and am proud that in this day in age with all the political correctness that we have the media outlets for hunting that we do. With that being said......do I think that everyone on TV represents sportsmen in a positive light.....Nope, but that is the case in all aspects of life. There are a ton of athletes that are poor poor poor role models and don't conduct themselves very well.

The thing about hunting shows is that the average "hunter" can relate closely to the people that they watch. What do I mean by that? Well, how many people that played high school football ever had a chance to play in the NFL? A small percentage at best. How many people can run the 100 meter dash in under 10 seconds? How many people can dunk a basketball or hit a 90mph fastball? My point is that not many of us can do any of these things, but on any given day, anyone that hunts can kill a trophy whitetail or hunt elk out west or chase moose in Alaska.

IMO this is where alot of the jealousy or envy or what have you comes from in the hunting world. There is a legit chance that with some hard work and knowledge anyone can consistenly kill big whitetails, it's just that most don't want to or don't have time to put the time and effort that it takes to be successfull into it. Sure, some of the people on TV caught breaks or knew someone to put themselves in their current positons, but IMO that is the case with any career choice.

For every person that is on TV, I know 10 people that work harder and kill bigger deer and are more successful, they just choose not to pursue TV or video for whatever reason, family, career, etc.

My point is that in any situation where others can closely relate to those they watch, you will always have that "I can do that better" or I don't like the way they do that" mentality.

In the end, it's all for entertainment value, and thats it. Sponsors and products and TV have revolutionized the hunting industry and added so many people to our sport that otherwise would'nt have ever tried it, and for that reason alone, it can't be viewed as a negative.

Sure there are less properties to hunt, more regulations, higher standards in some instances, but in the end, it's still about being in a stand or blind on cold crisp morning watching the woods come alive and waiting for that "chance of lifetime" that drives almost all hunters to do what we do. And in that regard, we are almost all the same!

I'm sure many of you will disagree, but if you really stop and think about it, what would rather watch on TV? Honey boo boo.......... doubt it :rolleyes:
I bet Cooter thinks Honey boo boo is hot!

I think it has. Take for instance finding land to hunt. I have lost a lot of land to people leasing it or buying it from out of state. Everytime I turn on the tv everybody says you need to go to Iowa to shoot a big buck. Then you have all the outfitters buying up land. I could go on and on.

I don't have any of the channels and don't watch any videos.
Likewise.

LAST WEEK - I SAW A COUPLE SHOWS AT A BUDDY'S HOUSE.... What struck me was not the "commercialization of hunting".... It was just the COMMERCIALS...
One and the same.

Oh my gosh, every 15 seconds they had to plug some crap, pan over a logo, mention a product, etc, etc. It was non-stop marketing & a non-stop commercial. I guess if I watched sports they have some of that (I don't watch sports either) but I don't even think it's to near the degree us hunters put on these shows. Whoa, I hate commercials (coming from a guy who watches all DVR tv or DVD's of shows I like in the small time I have) to begin with an whoa- what the heck is our industry doing with a vomiting amount of plugs & non stop pimping?!?!?! Not a huge deal but sure enough where I sure ain't tuning back in to watch 40 commercials in a 25 minute period.
You used the word "industry". :(

Last edited:
Skip, what industry are you in........... :rolleyes: Think about it for a minute. How do you sell your products....... Oh that's right, through advertising. You of all people know how business is done these days, sucks, but the way it is in every industry. And yes, hunting in the purest sense of the word is not a industry, but all the gear and products that we use certainly are. When people invent something that helps do things more efficiently, it gets marketed, and becomes a product, that leads to a industry. Not many guys who preach purety in hunting are making their heads out of rocks or building arrows out of sticks or killing sheep and making their own clothing,,,,,,,, you get my point. :way:

I liked the shows better when they did not show the bait and the camera the outfitter set out for them.

When hunting stops being a pastime for me and becomes an "industry", I'm out.

pastime is a hobby, or, as the Oxford English Dictionary puts it, “a diversion or recreation which serves to pass the time agreeably; an activity done for pleasure rather than work; a hobby; a sport, a game. Also: a practice commonly indulged in.”

Industry is the production of an economic good or service within an economy.

pastime is a hobby, or, as the Oxford English Dictionary puts it, “a diversion or recreation which serves to pass the time agreeably; an activity done for pleasure rather than work; a hobby; a sport, a game. Also: a practice commonly indulged in.”

Industry is the production of an economic good or service within an economy.

So, what about those who do it: as a hobby, not to make money, to have fun, to share with others, and give them a good laugh and message to take away?

I guess I come from not all shows are the same - some give hunting a bad rap and others are pretty darn good, minus the commercials. Just like some hunters can give all of us a bad rap...

When hunting stops being a pastime for me and becomes an "industry", I'm out.

Agreed 100%...

"Industry" - whatever, how about the hunting world as a whole- hunters, the products they use, etc. EVERYTHING we are involved in (pretty much) has an "industry" involved, come on, let's not get caught up in lawyer chat here.

I have no problem with some "commercials" or "commercialization" - I want to make my point crystal clear.... What blew me away was the frequency and annoyance level. I market products to hospitals, I sell a car on craigslist, whatever. I look at company's marketing material for things I buy - all done without annoying the living daylights out of folks!!! These commercials were so over the top it was astounding. I mean- annoying, incredible frequency, non-stop bombarding, CHEESY - WAY OVER THE TOP!!!! If there was a fine line of "good taste, reasonable frequency, useful marketing, etc" they crossed that line by 10,000 miles compared to any other "industry" I can think of.

Again though, I will admit- commercials annoy me to begin with - all talk radio I listen to is podcasts (no commercials or I fast forward), DVR tv, dvd's, etc. But dang, the "hunting industry" needs to chill out and rein in these commercials a TON to a TASTEFUL LEVEL. No, commercialization is not ruining the "industry" but the commercial just personally made me barf in the 1 hour I saw it- won't be seeing it again (could care less if others do and don't think it's ruining things) and my buddy's said that this is the new norm for hunting tv. Just not for me.

*Exception!!! I did buy the Outreach outdoors DVD. Only DVD I've bought in 4 years. Last one was TREMENDOUS!!!!!!! Had NONE of the things that annoy me above and the quality & meaning of material was incredible!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom