Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

TV- Ruining Deer Hunting?

Anyone that bowhunted during the 70-80's can attest, things are not better now. It's like having a honeyhole fishing spot one day, the secret gets out, and there's 5 boats there every weekend afterwards....never quite the same. Sure, products are better, more lethal, and much easier to use, but are you after the challenge of hunting, or just killing ?? Some will understand.....

Nobody can tell me products were better 5 years ago than they are today.

Bowtech Destroyer 350. Came out years ago and no has been able to reproduce stats like that. Even bowtech can't do it. They had to quit making them so they could sell their other models.

Said it many times; nothing good comes from the "commercialization of hunting".;)

Agree 100%, it leads to outfitters leasing up ground that displaces local guys who don't have the money to lease or buy ground. It will lead to less opportunities for the average non landowner, and thereby, lead to the slow decay of our pasttime and heritage.

Bowmaker- Do you really think the reason you don't see squirrel or rabbit hunting on TV is because of a lack of merchandise to market? Have you ever got squirrel fever?

It seems a though a couple of you may have missed the point here...

The point is, you don't see rabbit and squirrel hunting on TV because it would be boring to watch, period. Not because of a lack of merchandise to pimp.

Squirrel and rabbit hunting, fun?? Heck yes!

Squirrel and rabbit hunting exciting to watch on TV?? Not so much. :)

Someone should make an IowaRabbits.com and see how many members it grows too and exciting posts it has!

Someone should make an IowaRabbits.com and see how many members it grows too and exciting posts it has!

I'm in. Are PMA's available? This is way better than talking deer hunting. In my area, outfitters are starting to really lease up the old folks back yards and it's getting hard to find a good squirrel haunt. Corn cobs on a nail are being replaced by solar Moultree feeders on timers. Sad really.

Bowtech Destroyer 350. Came out years ago and no has been able to reproduce stats like that. Even bowtech can't do it. They had to quit making them so they could sell their other models.

I am a bowtech nut. The destroyer came out in 2010. Not a bad bow but the insanity is faster and the experience is amazing. I would take either over the destroyer.

All i know is when I started 20 years ago the products then compared to now do not compare. Lots of changes in the last 20 years.

Let me ask you guys a serious question. And I'm not being a smartass.

Do you truly enjoy hunting and being outdoors? I mean is it more than a passtime for you?

If the answer is yes, than what does it matter what everyone else around you does? Why wouldn't you be happy for people that can turn it into a living? I know there are many things on the hunting networks that I don't like or agree with, but never once has it actually effected the way I hunt or the the sport that I love so much.

Yes I truly enjoy hunting and being in the out doors and have for more years than you have been on earth, I am guessing! I shot my first squirrel in 1958 and have been hunting ever since. ;)
I do disagree with your overly simplified solution about the TV show issue. I already don't watch them partly because I don't have cable or dish so I only receive a couple of channels from Des Moines and local Fox and ABC from Kirksville and they don't carry any of these programs. Also about 20 years ago I decided that these types of shows were just too much to endure any more. Whether we watch them or not they would not be on air if large numbers of people didn't watch them. They do all of us harm in many ways from the increase price of hunting equipment, to land access, to over harvest of the deer herd, to over crowding of hunters.

These hunting shows have really driven the antler greed and poaching that we currently endure. 25 years ago no one ever refered to a big buck as 170" buck, they were always a 10 or 12 pointer. These shows made lots of hunters classify bucks this way and gave the impression that if you couldn't kill at least a 150" buck then you weren't much of a deer hunter or more importantly you were not using the proper new equipment or technology. 25 years ago you didn't have neighbors fighting over THEIR deer or doing things to keep their deer from crossing the fence to the neighbors and at the same time trying very hard to draw the neighbors deer onto their property. Almost never did we find a deer in a field with the head cut off and a rifle bullet in the shoulder. I am not saying that there weren't poachers then, but the deer were killed more for food than for horns. Back then you couldn't sell deer horns and the poachers didn't have a monetary reaon for killing until we got into the "my deer is way bigger than your deer" thing. Now they can even sell the horns on E-Bay for heavens sake!

Another way that these shows hurt me even though I haven't watched them in 20 plus years is the massive increase in deer hunters and the greatly reduced harvest numbers and success ratios. From the IDNR site in 2011 there were 392,930 license issued to 335,450 hunters who only killed a total of 121,407 deer in Iowa. To focus down a little more there were 92728 archery licenses issued to 79,021 bow hunters who only managed, even with all the knowledge and high tech equipment and extra hours in the stand, to harvest 21,983 deer.

Now let's travel back in time a little. In 2000 there were only 229,800 total licenses issued, but I can't find the total number of hunters, but with a total harvest of 126,535 deer. This was actually a little higher than total in 2011, but with 163,130 FEWER licenses. The archery numbers were 44,685 licenses issued and a total archery harvest of 17,727 deer. That is a difference of only 4,256 deer killed but there were almost double the licenses issued, 44,685 in 2000 and 88,526 in 2011. This drove the success ratio from 40% in 2000 to only 25% in 2011. I know that some of you will call this selfish thinking that I don't want more hunters, but that is not true. Even though there are way fewer deer to hunt, I do own my own farm so I at least have a place to hunt. The hurt falls on those who don't have their own or family land to hunt and must compete with twice as many bow hunters just for a place to hunt, much less the much lower chance to kill a deer.

How can any one explain why deer hunter numbers have exploded where as other types of hunters have fallen to an all time low. My explanation is the direct promotion of deer hunting for those 11 years on TV. The shows also have pushed most of these hunters to want or expect a trophy buck and almost gives them permissin to use almost any means to attain that goal. How many hunters planted food plots before seeing it on TV? How many put out mineral blocks or bait to draw deer to an area so that they can get trail cam pictures before the TV shows? How many of these TV hunters have been discredited when it has been proven that they were hunting behind high fences and shooting fed and drugged deer? How many new hunters saw this and learned that this was an acceptable way to hunt, especially if the were able to shoot "the buck of a life time" on camera? I believe that I do see the big picture and what I see is a picture of greatly diminishing returns and far less satifaction for a sport that I do love. There is less enjoyment when a person must constantly be on the look out for illegal hunters and tresspassers and less than eithical practises because more uninformed new hunters get their methods and ethics from the celebtries on TV. During the deer seasons, nearly every day there will be a post on here about poaching or trespassers, or stolen stands, or stands placed on a fence line or lots of other transgressions. I honestly believe that almost all of the woes and violations of laws and hunting ethics can be layed directly at the feet of the TV shows and the celebrities and climate that these shows have generated over the years.:thrwrck:Maybe some one can show me a different big picture but I believe that mine is much closer to the truth than what some of you see. None of this is meant as a shot to anyone who has posted on this topic, but only as an explanition of how I have arrived at my current beliefs. :way:
Good luck and good hunting!!!

How can any one explain why deer hunter numbers have exploded where as other types of hunters have fallen to an all time low. My explanation is the direct promotion of deer hunting for those 11 years on TV. The shows also have pushed most of these hunters to want or expect a trophy buck and almost gives them permissin to use almost any means to attain that goal. How many hunters planted food plots before seeing it on TV? How many put out mineral blocks or bait to draw deer to an area so that they can get trail cam pictures before the TV shows? How many of these TV hunters have been discredited when it has been proven that they were hunting behind high fences and shooting fed and drugged deer? How many new hunters saw this and learned that this was an acceptable way to hunt, especially if the were able to shoot "the buck of a life time" on camera? I believe that I do see the big picture and what I see is a picture of greatly diminishing returns and far less satifaction for a sport that I do love. There is less enjoyment when a person must constantly be on the look out for illegal hunters and tresspassers and less than eithical practises because more uninformed new hunters get their methods and ethics from the celebtries on TV. During the deer seasons, nearly every day there will be a post on here about poaching or trespassers, or stolen stands, or stands placed on a fence line or lots of other transgressions. I honestly believe that almost all of the woes and violations of laws and hunting ethics can be layed directly at the feet of the TV shows and the celebrities and climate that these shows have generated over the years.:thrwrck:Maybe some one can show me a different big picture but I believe that mine is much closer to the truth than what some of you see. None of this is meant as a shot to anyone who has posted on this topic, but only as an explanition of how I have arrived at my current beliefs. :way:
Good luck and good hunting!!!

Not trying to be argumentative just playing a little devils advocate. I honestly agree with you on a ton of issues, especially those related to the harvest, and every time I see one of your posts regarding the issue of over-harvesting, etc., I hope people can understand what you are saying because it is spot on!

I do want to hit on a couple things you mentioned though:

1.) Personally, the reason I refer to a buck as 170" vs. a 10 or a 12 pointer is for ease of communication. If you really want to know the size of a buck, inches is the only way to get a clear representation. A 10 pointer could be 85 inches or 185 inches....

2.) Food plots, minerals, cameras, etc..... are positives for the health of the deer herd, aid in scouting, etc..... why is that a bad thing?

3.) I believe there was just as much poaching in the past as there is now. I can't prove it because I wasn't alive, etc., BUT, I do hear stories. Yeah, people poach big bucks now for money, but back then, people just shot stuff.... anything and everything, on a whim. It wasn't conveyed as a serious offense because record-book deer weren't as hyped, but it isn't like it was absent from society.... far from it.

I don't really want to keep trying to 'argue' on this, but I just don't understand some people that prefer to live in the past. Yeah, the past was great, but you don't live in the past, so why not make the most out of now. Instead of whining, people need to do something about it.

It's kind've like the phrase, 'Guns don't kill people. People kill people' . ..... Well, 'TV doesn't ruin the hunting culture, people ruin the hunting culture." Promote better people to promote hunting.... it's all in perception. Getting rid of the hunting industry does nothing except speed up the disappearance of quality hunting. We just need quality people in the industry that know how to best represent hunting.

Not trying to be argumentative just playing a little devils advocate. I honestly agree with you on a ton of issues, especially those related to the harvest, and every time I see one of your posts regarding the issue of over-harvesting, etc., I hope people can understand what you are saying because it is spot on!
thing?

I don't really want to keep trying to 'argue' on this, but I just don't understand some people that prefer to live in the past. Yeah, the past was great, but you don't live in the past, so why not make the most out of now. Instead of whining, people need to do something about it.

There is a great line in the movie Shawshank Redemption. "You can either get busy living or get busy dying"

One way or another we have to adapt to change. I'm in the insurance business and in the 1990's the internet and the Geico lizard were NOT a big deal now they are. We have to adapt to a niche (which we have) to be successful.

If you want to continue to hunt, you can't hope TV and video goes away, it won't. Adapt to it, find yourself a piece of ground either via ownership/lease/hired hand work or whatever (it probably will cost you some $$$). To expect to hunt with no money out of pocket is 1980's thinking.

Another option is to hunt public?

Couple things: I don't think the hunting shows have ruined hunting. Think of all the advances in safety, technology, and awareness just a simple hunting show can bring. More "sponsors" want better product that are safer, stronger, lighter, faster, etc. doesn't mean you can't kill a dear if you don't have that stuff but I would much rather have a safety harness that has been scrutinized over and over again to be the leader in safety over industry standards than a rope tied to my boots!

I Just talked to a guy that is on a major hunting show and it took almost 3 years for him to get the footage of the "big deer" and cost him a lot of time and money. Trust me the sponsor benefit don't pay for that! So the vast majority work just as hard at their profession as the second shifter at the local quarry. They just do it on a hunting show because they were lucky enough to have the opportunity and their love of the outdoors and hunting. There are a very select few that actually make it and actually make enough to earn a strong living.

On the other hand I do believe hunting shows have altered the expectations of hunters in this way: you can't just walk out in a stand and shoot a 175 inch deer. I mean you can but that's not realistic. The unfortunate side of a 30 min show is you can't fit the month or two of daily hunting to capture that footage. And the younger generations with all the technology want everything "NOW."

To each his own in my opinion, everything in life requires work, and nothing in life is free.

Good luck to all who will be in a stand this year, hunt hard and aim low!!

Only that guy on the Sportmens channel that shoots the big white antlered deer in pens and then is also his only sponsor and promotes his herbal medicine for any and every problem. That guy is ruining more then hunting, he's ruining lives.

th

Top Bottom