Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Two LOT questions

Another question. If you own different parcels that qualify in different countys can you get tags for each parcel? Or are you limited to getting LOT on just 1 parcel? thnx.

Another question. If you own different parcels that qualify in different countys can you get tags for each parcel? Or are you limited to getting LOT on just 1 parcel? thnx.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can only get one tag. It doesn't matter how many parcels you have or how many different counties they are in. You should be able to hunt all of those parcels as if they were one big parcel, as long as each one is registered.

You are only eligible for 1 LOT tag no matter how many parcels you own. Not sure if that 1 tag is valid on all the parcels but I would bet it is.

If he rents 6-10 acres from you for qualified purposes, he can get LOT for only those 6-10 acres. If you own 120, or 1,200, he cannot hunt the rest of it, only the 6-10.

That may well be the "spirit of the law", but is it actually spelled out that way anywhere? Perhaps more importantly, is it, or has it ever been enforced that way? Bet not. :confused:

That may well be the "spirit of the law", but is it actually spelled out that way anywhere? Perhaps more importantly, is it, or has it ever been enforced that way? Bet not. :confused:

Exactly, I don't see how that could be the law. That would mean the tenant can only hunt on the tillable or pasture acres??

So if he (tenant) rents an 80 and there are 60 tillable with a big wooded draw down the middle. He would not be able to hunt the wooded draw?

Most rental contracts list the legal, and may spell out tillable acres but that seems like nightmare for enforcement...etc...

Tenant tags are only good on the acres that the tenant controls the farming activites on. If not for this there could be 10 tenants that each rent 10 acres on a 100 acre farm and each would be able to hunt the whole 100 acre farm. Look into the defination of a tenant.

I don't think they would allow 10 different tenants to register for the same parcel number and each receive a tag.

Now if that 100 acres happens to be divided into 10 separate parcels, then each tenant should be eligible for a tag for their respective parcels.

If a parcel consists of 100 acres and only 10 of it is tillable or otherwise eligible for
"agricultural purposes", then one should be able to hunt all 100; because it is all part of the qualifying parcel. Otherwise LOT tags could only be used on the actual tilled portion of the property (fields); and not in timber, draws, fence rows, waterways, or any other acre of a property that is not being directly used for ag purposes. And this just isn't the case.

Otherwise LOT tags could only be used on the actual tilled portion of the property (fields); and not in timber, draws, fence rows, waterways, or any other acre of a property that is not being directly used for ag purposes. And this just isn't the case.

Well if you look at it that way the landowner still owns all of the land including those parts of it so of course they could hunt it. The question is does a tenant whose contract specifically states they are renting 10 acres have the right to hunt the entire 100 acre parcel or just the ten they are leasing.

I see what you mean. I suppose the tenant and landowner would need to clarity hunting rights in their agreement.
I know of a landowner in the area I hunt that leases all of his parcels out to row crops, hay, cattle ground and such, but states in his contracts that the tenant doesn't have hunting rights.

Well if you look at it that way the landowner still owns all of the land including those parts of it so of course they could hunt it. The question is does a tenant whose contract specifically states they are renting 10 acres have the right to hunt the entire 100 acre parcel or just the ten they are leasing.

I think that's why you register the whole parcel number as a LOT and not a specific description of the actual acreage that is leased. At least that's how I read it.

I think that's why you register the whole parcel number as a LOT and not a specific description of the actual acreage that is leased. At least that's how I read it.

I would think that if you register by the parcel number, it includes the whole parcel. Not sure if they obtain the lease agreement to determine which part of the parcel is leased, or if that has to be stated in the registering process.

I guess if you want the tenant to be able to hunt the whole parcel without any questions, rent the whole parcel for the rate of the tillable/pasture/or whatever use ground.

I think you are putting way too much emphasis on "registered parcels". If I own 10 parcels, I only need to register 1 of them yet can hunt all 10 that I own. If I rent 5 of them to someone to farm, they too only need to register 1 of them yet can hunt all that they rent. They cannot legally hunt the other 5 that they do not rent. On the other hand I doubt that, unless tipped off, many/most COs would ask to see a rental contract to verify, so I suspect the rules may get "stretched" some. What if there is only a verbal contract so none to look at??? Really tough laws to enforce. Thankfully, I think most people are reasonably honest.

One any-sex landowners per farm. Everything under that farm name is included no matter which county its in.

I use to buy multiple any-sex tags to group hunt with 2nd gun season. I would use my landowner any-sex tag for 1st season shotgun and 2nd if I shot a buck on my ground. My reg firearm any-sex I would use for late muzzy. I think they stopped people from doing that this year.

This year I have a late muzzy any-sex with my landowners and a doe only for gun 1 and 2 landowners. My reg gun tag is for 2nd season.

I think you are putting way too much emphasis on "registered parcels". If I own 10 parcels, I only need to register 1 of them yet can hunt all 10 that I own. If I rent 5 of them to someone to farm, they too only need to register 1 of them yet can hunt all that they rent. They cannot legally hunt the other 5 that they do not rent. On the other hand I doubt that, unless tipped off, many/most COs would ask to see a rental contract to verify, so I suspect the rules may get "stretched" some. What if there is only a verbal contract so none to look at??? Really tough laws to enforce. Thankfully, I think most people are reasonably honest.

This is correct.

Top Bottom