Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Two Men Charged With Hunting Violations

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR:

Two Men Charged With Multiple Deer Hunting Violations

GUTHRIE CENTER – Two men have been charged with multiple counts after one was injured while pursuing deer earlier this month near the intersection of 200th and Elm Avenue in Guthrie County.

Robert McCauley, 21, was practice shooting his bow with Derrick Johnson, 27, northwest of Guthrie Center when they saw some deer headed in their direction coming across the road on Nov. 10th. McCauley and Johnson pursued the deer in an attempt to harvest some with bows and arrows that each was carrying. They crossed an alfalfa field running to get into position to get a shot, with McCauley running ahead of Johnson.

While part way across the field, McCauley tripped and fell with his head striking the bow above his left eye cutting him open. Officers believe when that occurred, Johnson, who was immediately behind McCauley, then ran into him with an arrow.

The arrow struck McCauley half way between his left side and spinal cord in his lower back. At that time McCauley stood up and pulled the arrow out. Then he ran a short distance and collapsed on the ground where help was rendered by his friends and family until law enforcement and ambulance arrived to assist.

McCauley was taken to the Guthrie County hospital and then transported to a Des Moines hospital.

McCauley was cited for no hunting license, no habitat fee paid, spotlighting, and no deer tag.

Johnson was cited for no hunting license, no habitat fee paid, spotlighting, no deer tag, and attempting to take deer.

Neither individual had been through hunter education.

I'm trying to envision that one playing out.....

Must have just had a field tip on the arrow? He's lucky he isn't dead.

......... Sorry I almost couldnt resist laughing when i read that. What a couple of idiots. The guy that got stuck is very lucky... But stupid

hahahaha!! good lord. I cant wait to see some of the stories that will play out this weekend too.. I'm sure ill be witnessing some real brain dead acts like usual come saturday.

Niether one had taken hunters Ed? Maybe someone should look at their "trophy" rooms and see how many other times that they'd been hunting :confused:

Geeze i bet the orange army is laughing at us now! Spot lighting, while practicing and then chasing deer at night.... did i read anything about being drunk? or did they leave that out????

They were sneaking into my buddy's land across the road from where they had like 12 acres to hunt, mostly hay ground. The medics told me that it really bled when they pulled the arrow out, hadn't they seen any old westerns, never pull it out. Wonder what type of broadhead they used?

Sounds like they both need the hunters safety class they are missing? Don't run with an arrow in on the rest. Common sense thing sounds like to me?

Top Bottom