Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Types of Clover:

loneranger

Can anyone explain pros and cons of the clover types? All I have ever planted was ALSIKE. It is called the poor man's alfalfa. Grows in all types of ground, is hardy. Is $1.36 per lb. Do deer like other types better? They seem to like this type. Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone explain pros and cons of the clover types? All I have ever planted was ALSIKE. It is called the poor man's alfalfa. Grows in all types of ground, is hardy. Is $1.36 per lb. Do deer like other types better? They seem to like this type. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most commonly planted clover for both deer and cattle are white clovers adapted for grazing. Ladino Clover I think is very common in most clover mixes. There are other types such as Kura Clover and Durana White clover.
Deer will eat Red Clover also, but IMO it doesn't hold a candle to white clovers which stay tender thru out the grazing season.

http://www.penningtonseed.com/section/forage_02.asp?type=articles&id=481

Welter Seed has a description of many types of clovers and you can put together your own mix or try different plots and see what deer seem to prefer.

http://www.welterseed.com/productItems.aspx?id=2&org=0

As far as the "pros and cons" I look for a clover that stays tender and doesn't go to seed and turn rank. One that can stand heavy grazing and that deer will eat into the late fall. Different types of white clovers seem to fill the bill for me.
I'm going to test several clover types and brassicas next to a new alfalfa seeding this fall. I'll be able to watch deer feeding and see if they prefer anything and what last longer into late fall/early winter.

Just bought small lots 25# Ladino $2.83, 25# Jumbo Ladino $3.38, & 10# or medium red clover for $1 something. Always had good luck with deer use in whites like ladino, will throw some red down as well for insurance as it does better in drought.

Frost seeded some clover today including some Imperial Clover from Whitetail Institute. Checked the label on the back and it contains:
32% Wina Brand Berseem Clover
19% Advantage Ladino Clover
8.6% Insight Ladino Clover
6.3% Seminole Ladino Clover
34% Coating material!
bigshock.gif

All at a mere $9 a #!!!

Kind of interesting to see what goes into their product...and also a reminder why I mostly buy the "cheap" seed at the local feed store!
grin.gif

Top Bottom