Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Typical or Non-typical

Blackfoot

I was wondering which you prefer, typical or non-typical bucks? Myself, I prefer the rough, knarly look of a non-typical
grin.gif
yet I can't help but admire the elegance of a large typical whitetail.

I like a mostly typical frame, but if you throw in some drop tines or double brow tines that really adds character. I just really don't like the "cactus" type nontypicals.

A big nontypical get's me going and that's what I dream about but a typical giant is something to be looked at too.If I had my choice it would be a nontypical though!!I've shot at 2 nontypical's and missed'em both clean,they tend to make my heart go a little faster then normal!!We think there is 1 running around where we bowhunt and my son will be trying for the one we found the shed's from last year,he should be a 180"+ this year if he's still there
shocked.gif

It doesn't matter to me if a buck is typical or nontypical as long as the rack has mass, width, and height. My self imposed minimum for bow the last few years has been in the 150+ range. You guessed it, those unfilled tags make mighty poor stew. But I know they are out there for I have seen them. I have managed to harvest two 150+ whitetails with a muzzleloader, and a dandy Wyoming buck that went 168 with a rifle, so only stands to reason that I keep trying for one with a bow. Having said that however, I will not again pass up that six point with the 26+ inch wide rack and high tines that stood under my tree at 10-15 yards on two different ocassions last Dec. I have thought a great deal about that deer.....

i prefer a large typical rack, and then throw in a couple of drop tines.

In the early 1970's I had a really nice eight point buck heavy horned, wide and high standing 10-12 yards from my tree stand. He had a 4-5 " drop tine on the left antler, and a 12-14" drop tine on the right antler. I didn't even try a shot at him because I was hung up on the typical racks and B/C scoring from reading to many deer hunting magazines. Plus I had been seeing a very large 12 point that would go 185+ in the immediate area. You have no idea how many times since then that I haved wished I could replay that senerio. It doesn't matter if they are typical, or non-typical to me if they are a mature whitetail and you have an oppurtunity to harvest one of them, take the shoot. You have no idea how many times you will regret not doing so.

I wished I too lived in Iowa.I like non typical the best,I like forked g 2 s and mass.
Shot a buck that had a 14 inch spike on one side and 5 points on the other that was weird in wis.

We seem to have mainly typical bucks in this area. In 7 years of scouting and hunting I have only seen two non-typicals but both were very very nice. If I had a choice, I suppose I would take a non-typical this year since I already have 3 P&Y typicals. Only 30 days until I'm "in a tree" Praise the Lord!!!!!

I appreciate them all. big, small & in between. But you definately are getting a treat when you see a mature NT.

I hope to hear about everyones encounters this year.......Best of Luck.

I prefer typical racks for their symmetry and beauty. That said, I have never once viewed a nontypical buck on the hoof and would love to someday bag one.

Might have changed my mind. I'll use my first tag of a big typical and my second one on a massive non-typical and then make up my mind which I like best!

It doesn't matter to me, just give me a bunch of mass and some black antlers. The inside spread doesn't get me going as much as tine length and character. Our typicals are usually heavily deducted so it matters none to me, just give me a hawg of any kind. Last years buck had 2 drop tines so that one's now under my belt.

IN THE 2000 SEASON I WAS FORTUNATE TO TAKE BOTH. BOW 150 PLUS TYP AND SHOTGUN 191 PLUS N.T. I ALSO HAVE A DOUBLE DROP COMING OFF EACH G2 ON A 13 PT N.T.
MY PREFERENCE IS THE BIGGEST SON OF BUCK THAT WALKS THE HILLS OF NORTHEAST IOWA. HERE WE ARE FORTUNATE TO SEE LARGE N.T. NOT EVERYONE HAS BEEN AS BLESSED AS I, MOST WILL NEVER SEE THE JUNK WEVE SEEN ON TOP OF DEERS HEADS.
THERE IS ALSO A DOWN FALL TO NON-TYP. RIGHT NOW, ONE OF THE FARMS I HUNT HAS A GENETIC FREAK DIS-ORDER. THERE ARE AT LEAST 4 DEER WITH GREAT LEFT ANTLERS AND THE RIGHT HAS JUNK ALL OVER---A DEFINATE SCORERS NIGHTMARE. WHEN I SAY JUNK I MEAN NO TYP FRAME WHAT SO EVER, IF I EVER FIGURE OUT HOW TO SEND THESE PHOTOS I WILL....SO NON TYPS ARE BOTH A BLESSING AND A VERY BAD THING---ITS GOING TO TAKE A LOT OF YEARS TO WORK THROUGH THIS MESS MOTHER NATURE DROPPED------HEY YOU CHEDDAR HEADS DIDNT LET THOSE DEER OUT OF WISC. DID YOU....
smile.gif
M 350 OUT---BY THE WAY MY WALL HAS A SPOT FOR A 170 TYP LEFT THATS GETTING AWEFUL DUSTY....
OLD BUCK IS BY FAR MY HERO WHEN IT COMES TO N.T. KEEP IT UP CAUSE IM CATCHING UP
grin.gif

Do bucks that grow NT racks alwyas grow non-typical racks? Is the first rack they grow non-typical or does something happen later in their realtivley short life that makes them non-typical?

Born non-typical always non-typical and born typical aways typical?

The 'Bonker

I say hunt that farm!! Score matters very little to me and if they have a bunch of junk on one side and by a bunch I mean lots of horn, I'd say shoot the bugger. Like you I'm not picky and I hunt for the biggest deer I can get crack at.

Top Bottom