Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unethical Hunting and Law Breaking at it's best!!!

halielynn1

I have though long a hard about what I witnessed last weekend and finally decided to vent my frustration.

This invloves a group of hunters of at lest 35 to as many as 50+ hunters. They run the woods as if they owned it all and amazingly enough they own very little if any. The perform drives just like you and I, but that's where the ethics end.

For starters, when possible, they use vehicles to get the deer moving. Rather than walk through the draws and valleys, they drive a vehicle up and down making as much noise as possible. The hunters that are furthest away from the road carry high power rifles so they can reach out a little further. The hunters that post the drive stand on either side of the road (sometimes leaning over the hood to use it as a rest) shooting wherever the deer may go. They park their vehicle in an alternate pattern (Left Side, Right Side) as to block the deer even more. They leave a few hunters in the vehicle's so when a deer does break out they can run it down or better yet, close the gap in the alternate parked cars to make it even harder for the deer to get out. They drive across property that does not belong to them as if it is their own. The do not respect the landowner that is hunting his own property and march through his as if they own it. They shoot whatever mooves (Brown it's Down) and if it's too small or too shot up, it get's left behind. They are doing all this because this is the way they were brought up. And the sad part is that they are hunting with their kids 12-16 yrs old and teaching them that this is the way you hunt.

I can go on and on with the chain of events however I am about ready to puke. Remember, I saw all this in a matter of 15 minutes. What happens the rest of the season?

When the CO was asked about the group he replied, "I know what's going on there but it doesn't do a bit of good to write a ticket because they will do it again"

What can be done in a case like this? I know that this happens all over the State because I have seen it both North and South. If you have not witnessed this kind of nonsence, I hope to God you never do! I am an avid hunter and harvest my fair share of game, but I cannot get this sick feeling out of my stomach. In this case, I honestly feel sorry for the animals.

I wish the CO would stay and witness the entire episode. I wish the State of Iowa would ask for assistance from other State's to help cover during the Gun Seasons. I wish they would invite the Feds in to help out as well. I wish the State would pass a law that outlaws groups larger that 10-12 hunters to drive deer (not that any laws would matter to this group).

Time and Time again I hear people say that they would love to come to Iowa to shoot a Trophy Buck. That is what we are known for and we are very fortunate for that. Then you have people like this that feel that it's their right, not privilage, to enter the woods and kill whatever moves.

If you have any ideas or suggestions on how to stop this kind of abuse to our hunting privilage and our resources, please let me know. I am at the point where I don't even want to hunt anymore.

Please Help!

I also have to witness this every year it seems, Well this weekend im am going to the properties of mine that get trespassed about every year during shotgun season and i will have video camera in hand. I know that the game warden cant be everywhere at once so hopefully i can prosecute with video footage.I am assuming i wont have a voice monday from screaming and yelling this weekend but enough is enough on the trespassing in my area. Sorry for venting just getting a little frustrated with the whole thing.

i have also seen this in my area and i am also very tired of it. i wish there was something more that could be done to prevent this, but there are so many hunters and so few COs that it is impossible to keep up with it all. it seems even if you own land or are hunting on private land that these people will always show up with no respect for the landowner and treat it as their own. i would love to see something done about this, but i think it could be awhile before it happens.

first, id go to the Wallace buiding in DesMoines,and talk to that Co,s boss , and let him know that you voiced your concerns , and HE did NOTHING. Im sure when they take the job, there is a code of conduct and they are sworn in, and this co did nothing?? is he corrupt?? are these hunters paying him off to turn his head? This party violated SEVERAL game laws which EACH hunter SHOULD have been ticked for, which generates money for them , and he did nothing?id guess ,his wallet got a little thicker & hes proably enjoying a deer steak as we speak.Documentate when you reported it, what you said , where, and what time, get witnesses to write statements,(pics). If what you say is true, this person should not be employed by the Dnr.My dads first cousin is a CO in Boone county, and he would throw his own mother in the clink as his dad would before him!Send them slob hunters this way, he would have a feild day with these guys!pursue this, and let us know the outcome, this crap needs to stop.I to, sitting on my uncles property,had this happen to me, these JACK A--- RUN 4 wheelers down the finger i was hunting a few yrs back, trying to chase deer to blockers in a timber connecting that not to far away.I carry a small apec digital cam now that takes video or still pics, im now hunting slob hunters as well as Deer ,in hopes to slow this nonsence down.If i were a Co, i would SALAVATE over a chance like this.keep us posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the CO was asked about the group he replied, "I know what's going on there but it doesn't do a bit of good to write a ticket because they will do it again"
</div></div>

I've never heard a comment like that from a CO, so I think I too would be calling someone higher up and do some "shoutin".

I would also remind everyone that the sheriff's office can be called and they too have an obligation to investigate game violations.

It is sickening...but don't let them win..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Re: Unethical Hunting and Law Breaking at it's bes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ibowbigbucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">first, id go to the Wallace buiding in DesMoines,and talk to that Co,s boss , and let him know that you voiced your concerns , and HE did NOTHING. Im sure when they take the job, there is a code of conduct and they are sworn in, and this co did nothing?? is he corrupt?? are these hunters paying him off to turn his head? This party violated SEVERAL game laws which EACH hunter SHOULD have been ticked for, which generates money for them , and he did nothing?id guess ,his wallet got a little thicker & hes proably enjoying a deer steak as we speak.Documentate when you reported it, what you said , where, and what time, get witnesses to write statements,(pics). If what you say is true, this person should not be employed by the Dnr.My dads first cousin is a CO in Boone county, and he would throw his own mother in the clink as his dad would before him!Send them slob hunters this way, he would have a feild day with these guys!pursue this, and let us know the outcome, this crap needs to stop.I to, sitting on my uncles property,had this happen to me, these JACK A--- RUN 4 wheelers down the finger i was hunting a few yrs back, trying to chase deer to blockers in a timber connecting that not to far away.I carry a small apec digital cam now that takes video or still pics, im now hunting slob hunters as well as Deer ,in hopes to slow this nonsence down.If i were a Co, i would SALAVATE over a chance like this.keep us posted. </div></div>

Sounds like I hear a new job calling your name /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Get it all on video next year, present it to the land owners, the sheriff, the CO and the CO's super. If that's not enough, when the legislature meets, send a copy of the video to them.

Wow that is crazy we have a few idiots around here but nothing like you are talking about...My little brother is in school right now to become a co with his military background i think he will make a darn fine one...I wounder if the co you are talking about was scared to confront them some people just dont have the pods to do some jobs..good luck

a couple things you can do.....

i noticed your location is Eastern Iowa,

here are the two Eastern Iowa District Supervisors, contact the one your CO works for and report it! deciding to not deal with the situation is bunk!!!!!!

District 2 (NE Iowa)
Conservation Officer Supervisor-
Jennifer Lancaster
563-927-3276

District 4 (SE Iowa)
Conservation Officer Supervisor-
Craig Jackson
319-694-2430

or you can check this out for list of all other officers and district locations.

Iowa District Officers

if what you say is accurate, the supervisor would be quite unpleased to hear about how you were brushed aside.....

I hear ya, and that is the reason i hunt Late Muzz!\
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windwalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like my neighborhood /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif </div></div>Yea Wind the 20+ years I hunted Ringgold county nothing surprised me. Even the local bar would have uncased high powers laying on the table. This bar had atleast 30 large bucks on the wall, and I bet more then half were taken illegally.

I'm pritty sure Craig Jackson retired. He definately wouldn't put up with that stuff. I had a run in with him many years ago after I hit a deer with my car. I pritty much did everything wrong when it came to getting a green tag. Gutted it in a ditch loaded it up and took it to him. He wasn't very impressed and inspected the deer and my truck. Didn't get any tickets but got a good lesson.

These guys can be found throughout the state. When I put my bow down for a few weeks in December to pheasant hunt with some friends we are always on the lookout for "party hunters" Have had more than one slug fired in my direction. Whatever you do, don't feel guilty about turning in unsafe hunters. These are peoples lives they are playing with.

Would it do you any good to talk to the surrounding landowners and state your feelings? Maybe they don't know everything thats going on and would limit the number of hunters on their property.

Maybe it wouldn't work in this situation. Just thinking out loud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: String Gun Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have though long a hard about what I witnessed last weekend and finally decided to vent my frustration.

This invloves a group of hunters of at lest 35 to as many as 50+ hunters. They run the woods as if they owned it all and amazingly enough they own very little if any. The perform drives just like you and I, but that's where the ethics end.

For starters, when possible, they use vehicles to get the deer moving. Rather than walk through the draws and valleys, they drive a vehicle up and down making as much noise as possible. The hunters that are furthest away from the road carry high power rifles so they can reach out a little further. The hunters that post the drive stand on either side of the road (sometimes leaning over the hood to use it as a rest) shooting wherever the deer may go. They park their vehicle in an alternate pattern (Left Side, Right Side) as to block the deer even more. They leave a few hunters in the vehicle's so when a deer does break out they can run it down or better yet, close the gap in the alternate parked cars to make it even harder for the deer to get out. They drive across property that does not belong to them as if it is their own. The do not respect the landowner that is hunting his own property and march through his as if they own it. They shoot whatever mooves (Brown it's Down) and if it's too small or too shot up, it get's left behind. They are doing all this because this is the way they were brought up. And the sad part is that they are hunting with their kids 12-16 yrs old and teaching them that this is the way you hunt.

I can go on and on with the chain of events however I am about ready to puke. Remember, I saw all this in a matter of 15 minutes. What happens the rest of the season?

When the CO was asked about the group he replied, "I know what's going on there but it doesn't do a bit of good to write a ticket because they will do it again"

What can be done in a case like this? I know that this happens all over the State because I have seen it both North and South. If you have not witnessed this kind of nonsence, I hope to God you never do! I am an avid hunter and harvest my fair share of game, but I cannot get this sick feeling out of my stomach. In this case, I honestly feel sorry for the animals.

I wish the CO would stay and witness the entire episode. I wish the State of Iowa would ask for assistance from other State's to help cover during the Gun Seasons. I wish they would invite the Feds in to help out as well. I wish the State would pass a law that outlaws groups larger that 10-12 hunters to drive deer (not that any laws would matter to this group).

Time and Time again I hear people say that they would love to come to Iowa to shoot a Trophy Buck. That is what we are known for and we are very fortunate for that. Then you have people like this that feel that it's their right, not privilage, to enter the woods and kill whatever moves.

If you have any ideas or suggestions on how to stop this kind of abuse to our hunting privilage and our resources, please let me know. I am at the point where I don't even want to hunt anymore.

Please Help!</div></div>
This is very disappointing if the CO really has that attitude.In my mind a person working for ME has that attitude he needs a new job.I know they have alot to do and lots of ground to cover but I'm sure there is a way to get help if you aren't defeated before you start.I'm sure there are plenty responsible hunters that are willing to assist or perform citizens arrests whatever is allowed for the legal process to get this back under control.
They make be back doing it again but the pocket book will be alot lighter and the next time they can"think about it" in jail for a while.

I just wanted to give you an update on some recent news.

According to the locals, this group was visited by the CO during the first gun season and they received some type a fine/ticket. Do you have any idea of how to find out what fine(s) we cited?

Also, there is a rumor that there was a buck shot by this group and they are not allowing any one to see it. I wonder why??? There is no doubt in my mind why they would not want anyone to see!

Hopefully we sportsmen can unite to bring this nonsence to an end.

Thanks all for your help!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When the CO was asked about the group he replied, "I know what's going on there but it doesn't do a bit of good to write a ticket because they will do it again"
</div></div>

I've never heard a comment like that from a CO, so I think I too would be calling someone higher up and do some "shoutin".

I would also remind everyone that the sheriff's office can be called and they too have an obligation to investigate game violations.

It is sickening...but don't let them win..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif </div></div>

As my dad and I were driving back into Burlington this morning after our morning hunt we saw 4 sheriff's cars who busted a group of trespassers about a mile from ours. I'm still waiting to hear the details. If the DNR and Sheriffs all get involved they can make an impact.

hook me up,! conservation is what i started in, but unfortunatly, i found out its tough to work in a feild and be able to hunt also, not alot of time off those times of year, weather it be spring turkey, fishing, deer hunting, ( which i do), when your needed in the feild, trust me , you are on call, 24-7 , it takes a special person to be a c-o, but , if i could work part time on curbing the non ethical hunting going on, sign me up! i guess if i catch somthing on film, -- i guess i am, just without the salery.not saying all hunters are bad, its the ones that are, that keep raising our fees.not sure if you read one of my previous post about the guy who stole my stand, and tried to repaint it, to only forget to cover my name on the bottom of the stand, and, he put it up in a tree not 30 yrds from where he took it! ( private ground )when i seen him in it, i said , your in my stand, he said no im not , i hung this hear, thats when i told him mine was stolen, and my name is on the underneath of the one your in! I was pissed when it was taken, and its been knawing at me ever since, i know your up there 18 ft or so, but you have to come down sooner or later & im not leaving til you do. Not a good night for him, or me for that matter after dealing with cops, but lets just say , he didnt look the same when he came down , as when he went up!I even have one idiot on trail cam, trying to hack saw my chain off one of my stands,i put a trail cam about 15 ft in a adjasent tree ,(comoed) and caught the whole thing on film.this was a 360 , expensive stand, again , on private, they had to walk along way to get to it.another slob hunter goes down!my wife thinks im anal, but she doesnt realize the cost in OUR equipment, i told her, i love 3 things in this world, her, my kids, my hunting, dont mess with any of the three!i told my wife, no matter where you go there are cameras, the mall, gas stations, work, retail stores, why not the woods!!Works for me !
happy hunting ,DWILK

Top Bottom