Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unifying Hunters on a wide front to fight the scum bags…..

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
K…. There’s a LOT happening folks are working on for offense right now.
I am EXTREMELY aware of every “hunter opinion” this way or that. Or “this won’t work. I don’t agree with _____ “. “I just want things to stay the way they are”. “Don’t tell me what to do. Should be allowed to kill em year round on private land”. “Don’t take my rights”. MOST of it is garbage (with all due respect) & the rest is “easily solved” with FACTS!!! Things change for better if we do have a discussion & get to the FACTS!!!!

NO group of hunters or anyone is going to agree with 100% of anything. Period.

I’ll start this with my list off top of my head. Can we get behind this?? Let’s see if my list below, off the cuff, gets most of u to say “ya, I think we can get behind these things”. It’s NOT perfect & no one is gonna agree with em all or not find some holes here. Here’s a START…

1) can we all agree the direction hunting is going for 20-30 years has some huge downsides? (Not all downside but a host of issues). ACCESS TO GOOD QUALITY LAND is #1 issue hunters face. PERIOD. This is also data & feedback from countless other states in Midwest. I can explain why the access is going away & how to fix it. We cannot keep this pace up or new hunters will be done before they start & IMO - we will be more like Europe or Africa in 20-30 more years. DIRECTION NEEDS MAJOR CHANGE OVERALL!

2) the changes have come from special interests, politicians, $, greed & has resulted in sell out regulations that have ruined states. Some long ago- some recently. EXAMPLE: crossbow companies pay for lobbyists & donate while vast majority of hunters oppose & they get their way (MO is case example of this). Iowa is in the crosshairs & res hunters don’t want them in archery! Million examples like this. Created states with 4+ months of season- countless weapons & seasons & liberal bag limits. Hunters have been on defense for 20-30 years and receded ground every time. It’s never been offense (that’s changing).

3) we don’t need any more weapons or seasons in iowa. 4.5 months, 7 seasons, 6+ weapon choices: NO MORE!!!!!! The pockets above I-80 are way too low for deer populations. There’s a few pockets of high #’s & solutions in place for that. Most areas it’s low. Needs relief.

4) I’ll be working for “IOWA” (free of course, my duty to “pay back what I’ve been blessed with & what I want future to be able to enjoy like I did). BUT- working very hard for other states to make 1-2 SIMPLE regulation changes so they can finally have a bit of a balanced age structure & rebound from being a “disaster”. IOWA, KS, OH & few others can’t take on all of the other failed states. These failed states have armies fleeing them. (MI, MN, WI, PA, etc). The pressure to over-run iowa is GROWING. 6 year wait by me. These states - some of them- have to change. Or they will collapse states like iowa & kansas. It’s already “pretty bad”. Example of that is again: iowa residents having no where to go. It’s becoming all locked up. Other states must change!!!! Plans on that in place.

5) media/celeb tags have to go!!!!!! The views on these tags are in the 8 digits…. As in, >10,000,000 views per year “look at this guy hunting 1000 acres of deer Mecca shooting a giant & then bringing attention & discussing how great iowa is!!!” This is still a HUUUUGGGGEEEEE problem. The program has zero merit. It’s gotta go. Way past time. It’s building pressure. Needs eliminated immediately!

6) awareness of solutions for high deer #’s (the loud angry farmers)….. very few know: we have depredation tags available. Second: each dnr officer has a list of hunters wanting to come shoot as many does as possible on that land. Third: farmers can be paid or subsidized to allow walk-in hunting which folks would pummel the deer. We don’t need to rid the rest of the state for a few dozen complainers (farm bureau told me it was single digit complainers they hear from!!!) when solutions are in place.

7) If we lose resident hunters- that’s each states true hunting economy. ANY STATE…. Say I go to KS as a NR…. I bought my bow or gun & all my gear here in iowa. Bought equipment in iowa. I go there for a couple weeks a year but most my dollars stay in iowa. U allow me, as a NR, to over-run kansas - the residents lose, quit & their hunting economics tank. Fact.

8) residents of any state need to be the priority. TO THE POINT: that they have reasonable access to quality land!!!! That’s the threshold!!!! I want this threshold & mindset to really sink in!!! Every state needs to carefully evaluate this!!! When that’s achieved- let additional NR’s in XYZ state. KS, MO, IL & OH are 4 prime examples where they need to fix this badly!!!!!! They are killing their resident hunters. & when residents quit - deer #’s will explode along with so many other problems. States with horrible access for residents like the above 4 need to put a tighter NR quota on guys like me so their residents are prioritized. REMEMBER: it’s a luxury for me to go to KS to shoot a deer. It’s a necessity for the residents. HUUGGGEEE DIFFERENCE!!!!!! Most the states with NR pressure are getting that from people in states with MORE DEER & MORE HABITAT!! A NR who is 40 with a decent job can spend $2500 on a lease & win against the 18 year old new hunter who can’t hardly come up with $500. That’s who is losing every time.

9) a BALANCED AGE STRUCTURE needs to be achieved. Stabilized or enhanced in IA. BUT- this is more meant towards OTHER STATES!!! “Giants everywhere”?!?!? NO!!!!! But- regulations that let a few slip by. Change the regs that gun down every young buck on the landscape. MOST STATES!!!!…. GET GUN SEASON OUT OF RUT!!!! 14 day difference for most states!!! SIMPLE: it’s not balanced at all in most states. Theres a few simple things that need to take place to make it “more balanced”. Biology & science win this debate. The dudes that wanna shoot “whatever” can always do that. The harder we make it for the guys that want to have a balanced age structure: the more land will be locked up…. The wealthy or highly motivated will always find a way to insulate themselves from regulation madness!!

10) bad regs do result in: more guys locking up land to “self regulate”. Leasing, limiting hunters, etc. The more “opportunities” GOVERNMENT & POLITICIANS regulate - the worse the whole landscape will get & the more resident hunters & new hunters will quit. Side note: our lands are packed. Many on here probably want “less hunters” as it’s a $hit show right now. But.. I assure you- we don’t want to reduce it by losing generations of resident hunters. This will collapse the system & that’s the direction we are headed.

Sorry on long ramble. I’ll stop at 10 points. This is loose talk typed up on my phone. Clearly a concise plan is being worked on. We are working on: funding, growing movement, IBA involvement, LOBBYING in a variety of ways. The good guys have to win this. The Scum bag special interests have to lose. & yes, we need to debate in our own hunting community the “status quo”, the “YOU CANT CHANGE ANYTHING”, the “it’s always sucked so it always has to suck!” “Won’t work. Blah blah blah”. Can’t listen to them anymore. If we do- we are driving over a cliff.
We are gonna save it. We are gonna KEEP IOWA GREAT & we are gonna “Make the Midwest Great”. We must fix a broken system. We owe it to the next generations.

Thoughts? What else should we add here ?

I think somewhere it should be in the law that game is managed by biologists and no regulation should appear on the ballot. Ever. Ballot initiatives are popular in a lot of states and in the long run it always hurts hunters and eventually the game species themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think somewhere it should be in the law that game is managed by biologists and no regulation should appear on the ballot. Ever. Ballot initiatives are popular in a lot of states and in the long run it always hurts hunters and eventually the game species themselves.

LOVE IT!!!!! More power to the experts- less to the politicians. It can change. Taking their power is hard but there needs to be a better balance!!!

****** 11) harsher fines for egregious poachers!!!! U rifle bucks out of trucks for example….. I personally think we need more emphasis on this.
By fines & efforts by law enforcement. Our limited DNR, IMO, could skip past the guy making a clerical error or a minor infraction when our areas are pummeled by poachers. I’ve seen this way too many times- the worst scumbags often times don’t get caught & the focus is on the minor infractions.
Also!!!! … stiffer trespassing fines!!!!

Can a state, like iowa, or any others: IMPROVE HUNTING, ACCESS, HAVE A BETTER AGE STRUCTURE, A WELL MANAGED HERD + TAKE IN MORE REVENUE?!?!?! ABSOFRIGINLUTELY!!!!!! Im finishing a few management/financial plans & structure on how all this can be accomplished. With some help. For iowa & a few other states. There’s some NO BRAINER changes that can be made. I’ll lay it out soon. It’s a win/win/win that folks on all sides ask about often

K…. There’s a LOT happening folks are working on for offense right now.
I am EXTREMELY aware of every “hunter opinion” this way or that. Or “this won’t work. I don’t agree with _____ “. “I just want things to stay the way they are”. “Don’t tell me what to do. Should be allowed to kill em year round on private land”. “Don’t take my rights”. MOST of it is garbage (with all due respect) & the rest is “easily solved” with FACTS!!! Things change for better if we do have a discussion & get to the FACTS!!!!

NO group of hunters or anyone is going to agree with 100% of anything. Period.

I’ll start this with my list off top of my head. Can we get behind this?? Let’s see if my list below, off the cuff, gets most of u to say “ya, I think we can get behind these things”. It’s NOT perfect & no one is gonna agree with em all or not find some holes here. Here’s a START…

1) can we all agree the direction hunting is going for 20-30 years has some huge downsides? (Not all downside but a host of issues). ACCESS TO GOOD QUALITY LAND is #1 issue hunters face. PERIOD. This is also data & feedback from countless other states in Midwest. I can explain why the access is going away & how to fix it. We cannot keep this pace up or new hunters will be done before they start & IMO - we will be more like Europe or Africa in 20-30 more years. DIRECTION NEEDS MAJOR CHANGE OVERALL!

2) the changes have come from special interests, politicians, $, greed & has resulted in sell out regulations that have ruined states. Some long ago- some recently. EXAMPLE: crossbow companies pay for lobbyists & donate while vast majority of hunters oppose & they get their way (MO is case example of this). Iowa is in the crosshairs & res hunters don’t want them in archery! Million examples like this. Created states with 4+ months of season- countless weapons & seasons & liberal bag limits. Hunters have been on defense for 20-30 years and receded ground every time. It’s never been offense (that’s changing).

3) we don’t need any more weapons or seasons in iowa. 4.5 months, 7 seasons, 6+ weapon choices: NO MORE!!!!!! The pockets above I-80 are way too low for deer populations. There’s a few pockets of high #’s & solutions in place for that. Most areas it’s low. Needs relief.

4) I’ll be working for “IOWA” (free of course, my duty to “pay back what I’ve been blessed with & what I want future to be able to enjoy like I did). BUT- working very hard for other states to make 1-2 SIMPLE regulation changes so they can finally have a bit of a balanced age structure & rebound from being a “disaster”. IOWA, KS, OH & few others can’t take on all of the other failed states. These failed states have armies fleeing them. (MI, MN, WI, PA, etc). The pressure to over-run iowa is GROWING. 6 year wait by me. These states - some of them- have to change. Or they will collapse states like iowa & kansas. It’s already “pretty bad”. Example of that is again: iowa residents having no where to go. It’s becoming all locked up. Other states must change!!!! Plans on that in place.

5) media/celeb tags have to go!!!!!! The views on these tags are in the 8 digits…. As in, >10,000,000 views per year “look at this guy hunting 1000 acres of deer Mecca shooting a giant & then bringing attention & discussing how great iowa is!!!” This is still a HUUUUGGGGEEEEE problem. The program has zero merit. It’s gotta go. Way past time. It’s building pressure. Needs eliminated immediately!

6) awareness of solutions for high deer #’s (the loud angry farmers)….. very few know: we have depredation tags available. Second: each dnr officer has a list of hunters wanting to come shoot as many does as possible on that land. Third: farmers can be paid or subsidized to allow walk-in hunting which folks would pummel the deer. We don’t need to rid the rest of the state for a few dozen complainers (farm bureau told me it was single digit complainers they hear from!!!) when solutions are in place.

7) If we lose resident hunters- that’s each states true hunting economy. ANY STATE…. Say I go to KS as a NR…. I bought my bow or gun & all my gear here in iowa. Bought equipment in iowa. I go there for a couple weeks a year but most my dollars stay in iowa. U allow me, as a NR, to over-run kansas - the residents lose, quit & their hunting economics tank. Fact.

8) residents of any state need to be the priority. TO THE POINT: that they have reasonable access to quality land!!!! That’s the threshold!!!! I want this threshold & mindset to really sink in!!! Every state needs to carefully evaluate this!!! When that’s achieved- let additional NR’s in XYZ state. KS, MO, IL & OH are 4 prime examples where they need to fix this badly!!!!!! They are killing their resident hunters. & when residents quit - deer #’s will explode along with so many other problems. States with horrible access for residents like the above 4 need to put a tighter NR quota on guys like me so their residents are prioritized. REMEMBER: it’s a luxury for me to go to KS to shoot a deer. It’s a necessity for the residents. HUUGGGEEE DIFFERENCE!!!!!! Most the states with NR pressure are getting that from people in states with MORE DEER & MORE HABITAT!! A NR who is 40 with a decent job can spend $2500 on a lease & win against the 18 year old new hunter who can’t hardly come up with $500. That’s who is losing every time.

9) a BALANCED AGE STRUCTURE needs to be achieved. “Giants everywhere”?!?!? NO!!!!! But- regulations that let a few slip by. Change the regs that gun down every young buck on the landscape. SIMPLE: it’s not balanced at all in most states. Theres a few simple things that need to take place to make it “more balanced”. Biology & science win this debate. The dudes that wanna shoot “whatever” can always do that. The harder we make it for the guys that want to have a balanced age structure: the more land will be locked up…. The wealthy or highly motivated will always find a way to insulate themselves from regulation madness!!

10) bad regs do result in: more guys locking up land to “self regulate”. Leasing, limiting hunters, etc. The more “opportunities” GOVERNMENT & POLITICIANS regulate - the worse the whole landscape will get & the more resident hunters & new hunters will quit. Side note: our lands are packed. Many on here probably want “less hunters” as it’s a $hit show right now. But.. I assure you- we don’t want to reduce it by losing generations of resident hunters. This will collapse the system & that’s the direction we are headed.

Sorry on long ramble. I’ll stop at 10 points. This is loose talk typed up on my phone. Clearly a concise plan is being worked on. We are working on: funding, growing movement, IBA involvement, LOBBYING in a variety of ways. The good guys have to win this. The Scum bag special interests have to lose. & yes, we need to debate in our own hunting community the “status quo”, the “YOU CANT CHANGE ANYTHING”, the “it’s always sucked so it always has to suck!” “Won’t work. Blah blah blah”. Can’t listen to them anymore. If we do- we are driving over a cliff.
We are gonna save it. We are gonna KEEP IOWA GREAT & we are gonna “Make the Midwest Great”. We must fix a broken system. We owe it to the next generations.

Thoughts? What else should we add here ?

Legit question. Do you get paid to post on this forum?

Can a state, like iowa, or any others: IMPROVE HUNTING, ACCESS, HAVE A BETTER AGE STRUCTURE, A WELL MANAGED HERD + TAKE IN MORE REVENUE?!?!?! ABSOFRIGINLUTELY!!!!!! Im finishing a few management/financial plans & structure on how all this can be accomplished. With some help. For iowa & a few other states. There’s some NO BRAINER changes that can be made. I’ll lay it out soon.
Maybe Iowa needs to go to one deer per hunter. Wouldn't that create a whole lot more access, improve age structure. And for revenue, just increase tag cost. Sounds like the tag is the least expensive part of the whole hunting experience there.

Legit question. Do you get paid to post on this forum?

No. zero. A big $0. I make zero $ off this. I make $0 off of anything hunting related or any of my efforts. It costs me $. So I’m negative ;).
100% of my income is made: farming, CRP, projects & stuff on land.
I do this, all of above, because I CARE & because it’s right & because I care about our future hunters. None of these crazy regs impact me personally. This is 100000% about other hunters, conservation & the future of hunting.

Great question, thank you for asking it. Seriously!!! I need to know if folks think this stuff. What gave u a hint that I might be getting paid? Or if someone was getting paid- what might their motives be? I really wanna make sure I understand this.

Maybe Iowa needs to go to one deer per hunter. Wouldn't that create a whole lot more access, improve age structure. And for revenue, just increase tag cost. Sounds like the tag is the least expensive part of the whole hunting experience there.
I would personally absolutely be for this!!!!!! I don’t think or know RIGHT NOW if it should be on list to unite folks or not on one buck. It probably is the right path. This is one where we need a lot more feedback & discussion on. If hunting & access keeps on the downward trajectory- it’ll happen. I hope we change course. I know we can fix a lot of issues.

The increased tag cost: this is a “hot topic” BUT… if we leave emotion out, stick to FACTS & ECONOMICS …. We should be raising prices!!!! When it’s a 6 year wait to buy a tag for a “LUXARY” trip (hunting out of state is just that)… Economics 101 fixes this on its own. Zero emotion.

Gubment.......​

“There are four ways in which you can spend money. You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what you’re doing, and you try to get the most for your money. Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I’m not so careful about the content of the present, but I’m very careful about the cost. Then, I can spend somebody else’s money on myself. And if I spend somebody else’s money on myself, then I’m sure going to have a good lunch! Finally, I can spend somebody else’s money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else’s money on somebody else, I’m not concerned about how much it is, and I’m not concerned about what I get. And that’s government. And that’s close to 40% of our national income. [In a Fox News interview in May 2004]”​

― Milton Friedman

Can a state, like iowa, or any others: IMPROVE HUNTING, ACCESS, HAVE A BETTER AGE STRUCTURE, A WELL MANAGED HERD + TAKE IN MORE REVENUE?!?!?! ABSOFRIGINLUTELY!!!!!! Im finishing a few management/financial plans & structure on how all this can be accomplished. With some help. For iowa & a few other states. There’s some NO BRAINER changes that can be made. I’ll lay it out soon. It’s a win/win/win that folks on all sides ask about often
Please don’t raise the out of state licenses. For more revenue.

1. Eliminate 'Special' seasons. Get back to the basic seasons: (Youth, Archery, Early Muzzy, Shotgun 1 & 2, Late Muzzy).
2. Eliminate all non-residential tags, initially for 5 years, then revisit.
3. Eliminate the use of crossbows and rifles. (Exception would be crossbow for disabled.)
4. Muzzle loaders must be open sites, (no optics).
5. Eliminate 'Celebrity' tags.
6. All landowners receiving tax $ must make their land accessible to residential tax paying hunters and fishermen. (Don't want them on your property, don't take tax $.)

#6 is a BIG can of worms, and I don't know how it should be structured, but this is about as blunt and raw as I can make it in short form.

Love your passion and stewardship Skip. #8 got my wheels turning a bit though. On one hand, definitely don’t like the sounds of any group of hunters quitting or losing groups when we need the numbers to fight the anti’s and other attacks on our lifestyle. That said, seems like as long as the land has hunters on it, regardless of where they are from, the herd will be kept in check no? Again, I don’t want to “lose” residents of any state but not sure the “deer numbers will explode“ by simply changing where the hunter lives. Illinois had a huge influx of NR hunters come in through the 2000’s and to some degree still to this day and deer numbers have done nothing but go down. The only way deer numbers explode is if the land doesn’t get hunted and I dont see a scenario where that happens.

Please don’t raise the out of state licenses. For more revenue.
This is mainly for other states… where if they improve the quality of the hunting - they can: charge more for tags, keep residents hunting (& not quitting) & get a vast array of other monetary perks that come from a well managed resource.

Iowa is not likely to raise prices. Though: blunt economics without emotion says they should
As long as the NR quota stays THE SAME - we are in good shape. Special interests need to LEAVE US ALONE. We don’t want one more concession!!!

Ok so this won't be popular because I'm new to this site and new to Iowa but over the last year I've learned a few things about this state. 1st thing is ya'll need to be thankful for what you have and I mean this to the 10th degree.. I love to hunt whitetails like everyone else here but coming from Ohio (A place that does have exceptional whitetail hunting) I got educated to how good it really is here.. I moved in SW Iowa and I'm about to open a new real estate office and I've been doing the build out for the last 18 months pretty much on my own because as we have all learned everything has gotten really expensive so I have to in order to make this business work. During that time I drove the road in the evening mostly and I've seen a crazy amount of either booners or at least close to that number all over.. Matter of fact I went in different directions all the time to try to not see a shooter and I literally got stumped just a few times. With being from Ohio I have seen what does and can happen to a state when you let bureaucrats run the wildlife. I van tell you 1st hand everything that Skip has said is 110% true.. Iowa needs to stay the way it is because this is Heaven on Earth to a whitetail hunter. Over this time I got to be friends with Skip and his non stop attack on what they are trying to do here and I can't commend this guy enough. When people think Skip is making $$$ from this I want to F###### laugh in that person's face. Skip is old school honest cat and what he says he does no exceptions and this guy even though he doesn't have to help, is in with both feet. Let me make this clear to you all.. This man doesn't need a dollar from anyone to live he is set up already and if you don't believe this then I don't know what to tell you because it's factual. Skip and I have spoken repeatedly and believe this or not he will actually listen to concerns and different opinions as long as Iowa stays Iowa.. He works tirelessly to try to help everyone who love chasing whitetails even to the point he gets left behind so take this how you will.. There have been a few times I didn't 110% agree with Skip and guess what he asked why and after a conversation he has 50% of the time agreed with me.. I know him well enough to know this is actually costing him $$$ and we aren't talking about chump change either so if this helps you all want to trust what he says more than my job is done. Not trying to rial anyone up just giving my 2 cents... He's good people with good intentions is all fellas...

I 100% agree with and back Tony on his comments. Skip is doing the “people’s” work. He doesn’t need anything but Iowa hunters uniting to make our collective voice, LOUD.
We are losing every time a reg changes or gets more liberal in general.
99% of govt officials have no clue about hunting or the hidden agenda/s of these special interests. Skip is starting to push back and we need to support him and go on the offensive!
People think Iowa is the bomb, which it is, but it’s nothing compared to what it was in the late 90s and early 2000s. We’re on a slippery slope that needs addressed ASAP.

No. zero. A big $0. I make zero $ off this. I make $0 off of anything hunting related or any of my efforts. It costs me $. So I’m negative ;).
100% of my income is made: farming, CRP, projects & stuff on land.
I do this, all of above, because I CARE & because it’s right & because I care about our future hunters. None of these crazy regs impact me personally. This is 100000% about other hunters, conservation & the future of hunting.

Great question, thank you for asking it. Seriously!!! I need to know if folks think this stuff. What gave u a hint that I might be getting paid? Or if someone was getting paid- what might their motives be? I really wanna make sure I understand this.

The amount of time and effort you put into posting is what makes me ask. I could never do that.

Sometimes it very much seems like you pull a topic out of thin air or squeeze water out of a rock. It’s the right place to do that don’t get me wrong, but still. To each their own. Carry on

The amount of time and effort you put into posting is what makes me ask. I could never do that.

Sometimes it very much seems like you pull a topic out of thin air or squeeze water out of a rock. It’s the right place to do that don’t get me wrong, but still. To each their own. Carry on

That’s because he eats, sleeps, and lives for whitetail hunting. He literally talks to other hunters all day every day he hears everything.

I’ve had the pleasure of knowing Skip for about a decade now. I think he’s crazy for liking whitetails so much but they are his thing. He wants everyone to have to same enjoyment as he has when hunting them. He’s trying to protect what we have in Iowa and even make it better where we can so others have quality experiences.

If you ever get the chance to meet him he’s a little off the rocker but in a good way. He’s done a lot for me over the years. Can’t thank him enough for the time and effort he puts in to defend our state and help other hunters.

• Deleted by Sligh1
Show…

Thanks for reply!!!!!!…..

love: other hunters, young hunters, hunting, iowa, other states. The Midwest. Conservation. The purity of kids getting into hunting vs other junk. Potential of a dozen states that could be amazing. Etc

I don’t have an employer. I farm and work REALLY HARD. I’m hard driven & very energetic. I want to give back and SERVE. For hunting - this is it. For God’s plan for my life - it’s more complex but I know He has me caring about this stuff & doing this for His reasons. I genuinely love this stuff. I love this state. I hate what’s happened to the rest of the Midwest like where I came from. I want to Keep Iowa Great. & fix broken states. & help new hunters. THATS IT!!!! What u see is what u get. I’ll serve & battle for the people & for “good” for the rest of my life. I am NOT perfect - CLEARLY!!! I will make mistakes. My motives are pure. At your service. It’s my duty to the next generations as well.

Thanks for reply!!!!!!…..

love: other hunters, young hunters, hunting, iowa, other states. The Midwest. Conservation. The purity of kids getting into hunting vs other junk. Potential of a dozen states that could be amazing. Etc

I don’t have an employer. I farm and work REALLY HARD. I’m hard driven & very energetic. I want to give back and SERVE. For hunting - this is it. For God’s plan for my life - it’s more complex but I know He has me caring about this stuff & doing this for His reasons. I genuinely love this stuff. I love this state. I hate what’s happened to the rest of the Midwest like where I came from. I want to Keep Iowa Great. & fix broken states. & help new hunters. THATS IT!!!! What u see is what u get. I’ll serve & battle for the people & for “good” for the rest of my life. I am NOT perfect - CLEARLY!!! I will make mistakes. My motives are pure. At your service. It’s my duty to the next generations as well.
We are VERY lucky to have Skip in Iowa. He helped me when I moved to Iowa and bought a farm. Skip's knowledge about all aspects of land and deer cannot be matched by many, and he shares it. Thanks Skip!

Great points, Skip. I don't have time to comment on all of them... definitely would be open to a podcast discussion... my quick thoughts on how to quickly make a difference:
- I think you make a great point about taking the heat off Iowa. Everyone wants to come to Iowa...why? Because their own state sucks. Man, what I wouldn't give to be able to hunt mature bucks right by my home. That just can't happen (yet) here in Michigan...so what do I do? I leave...I hunt states all around Michigan because they have better policies, which lead to more mature bucks to hunt. If states can change just a few polices, more will be willing to hunt around home. How? Well, I'll sum up Michigan:
-- make it a 1 buck limit
-- enforce trespassing more, and stiffen fines
-- shorten the gun seasons and move them outside the rut... "oh but not enough deer will get shot...wah wah wah!!" BS... envoke earn a buck...not permanently, even 2-5 years will make a major difference

I'll add... Skip, the more someone like you can get specific for each state and explain to hunters HOW to actually MAKE A DIFFERENCE in their own state, the more us hunters will be hopeful that we can make a difference and improve things. Everyone says, "email your senator... call so & so... oh, you'll never change their minds...oh it doesn't matter, government is gonna do what they're gonna do!" ... but I know you are making a difference here in Iowa.... so maybe we need a "Changing Hunting for the Better, For Dummies" book/video/podcast/whatever that can lay out some practical solutions that can actually lead to positive changes?

Wish I could talk hunting all day, but gotta build some more websites... cheers guys

Top Bottom