Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unsure why....

Oct-Lull

Coming from a non hunting farm family I learned much of what I now know from my own experiences. I am not old or bitter, but I have seen a tremendous amount of change since I was a kid when it comes to whitetail hunting. The popularity and the attention that comes with it as far as I am concerned hasn't made things better. What I am really writing about is a different topic, one I feel strongly about. I don't know exactly what the laws are or what it would take to change them but I am seeing more and more confrontation and articles telling stories about what I consider a big problem. DOGS. Now I am a dog guy, had many over the years, labs mostly and some mutts as a kid. Always loved my dogs. Had one that was shot chasing sheep at a neighbors farm. I was sad but I understood, at 13, my dog Kent (named after Kent Herbek) was gone. I see more and more about dogs being shot, people fighting over them, videos of dogs ruining hunts, chasing deer. I see and hear dog owners complaining about things happening to dogs running on private property. Saying things like, my dogs are my kids, they are family. Now I don't let my kids run free un supervised causing trouble. If I did, I would be held responsible, not to mention I would be constantly worried. So I don't buy that bs. Where does it say you can let your dog run free over the county doing whatever he wants? Or several dogs? Crossing private ground, jumping farm to farm? You cannot always control a dog and I realize that. But once you turn him out you are accepting the possibility of a bad outcome. Now I am not advocating blowing away a pack of dogs on first sight. All the stories I read and hear about are multi offenders. I think unless property damage is in progress a warning and benefit of the doubt is the right course of action. How is it different sending out dogs to push coyotes out of a block of private you don't have permission on, or parking on the road and sending a shed dog onto private? Or even flying a drone over someone land. Even as a kid I understood if my dog ran free there was a chance he wouldn't be home tomorrow. I always keep very close tabs on my dogs at home or in the woods. I do it out of respect for them and others. They are trained to stay home, and are monitored. Out in the woods they stay in sight. "To far" is a command they learn early. I also take a complaint from a neighbor very seriously and correct, apologize and repay any damage asap. Dog owners need to take and be held responsible for the actions the animals take. We are in fact responsible for their health, well being and safety.

I've had a lot of problems with dogs the past few years. We contacted the owners and it didn't do anything, they continued to let them run free. Once they started chasing my landowners horses that was all it took, SSS. Didn't seem to matter, they just got more dogs and let them run loose as well no matter how nicely we ask them to keep them tied up. Unfortunately I have a shoot on sight clause now because of the dogs aren't running deer they're chasing horses. This fall I got chased into my truck by a free ranging St Bernard... he met my bumper and never came back. Drives me nuts that people "love their dogs" but don't love them enough to take care of them properly.

I always keep very close tabs on my dogs at home or in the woods. I do it out of respect for them and others. I also take a complaint from a neighbor very seriously and correct, apologize and repay any damage asap.

The biggest problem is this is not the common attitude. I grew up on a farm and understand the importance of keeping your animals in check. Especially if you own pasture along a busy highway.

As more and more "city folk" that have no rural experience move out of urban areas into the country, many of them bring with them the attitude that their dog has the right to roam free. It's frustrating, and irritating. Too many people don't respect private boundaries.

We've had plenty of dog issues where I live, and I'm 5 miles off the closest highway. To the point where one time while putting up our pool my wife and daughter were stuck inside it for 15-20 minutes while stray dogs were in the backyard about 20 yards away growling at them. That scared the poop out of them.

I'm all out of patience and stocked up on bullets when it comes to stray dogs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem is this is not the common attitude. I grew up on a farm and understand the importance of keeping your animals in check. Especially if you own pasture along a busy highway.

As more and more "city folk" that have no rural experience move out of urban areas into the country, many of them bring with them the attitude that their dog has the right to roam free. It's frustrating, and irritating. Too many people don't respect private boundaries.

We've had plenty of dog issues where I live, and I'm 5 miles off the closest highway. To the point where one time while putting up our pool my wife and daughter were stuck inside it for 15-20 minutes while stray dogs were in the backyard about 20 yards away growling at them. That scared the shit out of them.

I'm all out of patience and stocked up on bullets when it comes to stray dogs.
I totally agree, I have a neighbor that moved out from town and feel they need a dog because they live out here. They do nothing with it, don't know when it's gone. They are on dog 3 or 4 and most have been dispatched by someone for chasing cattle. Had one steal a bag of cordless tools from my garage leaving a trail to thier porch. Never even came and brought them back, I had to go find them all over the road and yard. Not to mention, shoes, boots, pants, my Carhartt vest, even a broom. Even had one that will come over and bark at my kids on the porch or in the yard. Sheriff said to do what I felt necessary, seeing is there is no leash law Not one apology in all the years. I went over and told him if it didn't stop his dog would not be coming home. His wife called the sheriff. I'm all for trying to work it out, but in my experience if a dog is trouble, the owner is even more trouble. I had a dog I couldn't control a few years back, killed some chickens in my neighbors yard, he is a good guy. Bought him replacement birds and after another month of trouble sent the dog packing. It's a lot of responsibility, it's not yard art.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

What sucks is that they're just dogs doing what dogs do, then they get punished for their owners acts of irresponsibility.
Pure and simple dogs are pack animals and need to be shown who's boss. The wife thinks I'm nuts, but now and then our 11 month old 110 lb Rottweiler "puppy" needs to be tossed around a bit and put in a choke hold. It actually calms him down and puts him in his place. Yep, dogs have instincts and that's what makes them amazing friends. As owners, it's our job is to control those instincts.

I've had problems with neighbors dogs too. I started leaving deer carcasses at the fence crossing for them to drag home to the neighbors front porch. Magic.

Last edited:
A lot of different situations and solutions. The simple problems are the one where the dogs are a threat to people or livestock in this instance no warning is nessecary. The threat to wildlife is one where the law doesn’t support shooting of dogs unless they are deemed feral and do not have a current rabies vaccination. While annoying the coyote and or other hunting dogs shouldn’t be shot unless one of the above conditions apply. In the instance where dogs are a chronic problem the best solution is trapping it is normally non lethal and it allows for a humane dispatch if that is deemed necessary. The last thing anyone wants is a wounded dog making it home.

Free running dogs, and the "handling" of that issue, have been one of the most passionate, conflict producing subjects in the history of the internet. I have shot a few over the years, but only those that there was really no other way to stop them...due to poor owners. If it is a loose pet, or an otherwise a cared for animal, I have been extremely tolerant...multiple, multiple times. But if they are a threat to person or there is no hope of them ever being controlled, they disappear around my place.

Over time, even the hard headed, poor owners come to understand.

Top Bottom