Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Unused Deer Tag Survey

I have 3 tags left and one is of the unfilled status. Shotgun 2 antlerless tag. Still have a Bow Antlerless and Late Muzzy statewide to fill. I don't have high hopes for those at this point in time either..

My only comment is that the term "herd management" is a grossly over used phrase anymore. It's been heard by so many viewers of the TV/cable programs that it is generally accepted as the right thing 100% of the time. I think it has become an excuse to just shoot something for the fun of it. I was an advocate of the HUSH Program when it first came about and have used it for an outlet of a few deer over the years (probably donating more bucks than does). But in all honesty, I think it has contributed greatly to the situation we find ourselves complaining about now. Without the easy outlet HUSH provides to rid ourselves of those "herd management" deer, a lot of hunters would probably exercise more restraint. Most would not be in favor of shooting them and letting them lay but would also not want to expend the coin to have them processed, hence "maybe" a lowering of the harvest of does.

Haven't shot a doe in years and can't really come up with a logical reason personally to do it again for quite some time (unless asked by a landowner of property I hunt). Even then, it's gonna be a difficult thing to swallow in light of the declining sightings I am seeing firsthand.

Un-filled any-sex bow, antlerless bow for a So. Iowa county, and late ML any-sex (as of today).

Last edited:
I have an unfilled any sex bow and 4 antlerless tags (different counties) unfilled. We buy the doe tags so we can still hunt if one of us happens to fill our buck tag early.
A land owners shotgun tag unfilled.
Muzzy??? Prognosis not looking good if weather doesnt change.

I would like to get some meat in the freezer!!! I am just afraid to shoot any deer unless its wall worthy.

#s way down this year.

I have an unused Harrison County doe tag from shotgun 1. I didnt even go out and dont feel bad about not going! Plus I have an unused bow doe tag and a statewide bow buck tag still. Probably going to get my late muzzle tag later today.

Top Bottom