Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

up in smoke

bukket

Hello everyone. I have to vent a little. My super-prime spot that I've hunted for the past 2 years was completely burnt out this week by a camp fire that got away from some folks.
What a bummer. I've been observing, managing, and enjoying this timber for quite awhile and was looking forward to 2nd season so much!
The good thing is that the area will be much better off because of the fire...but now I've gotta scramble to get another place lined up.

I bet you'll be alrite, with that all burned off the young sprouts and shoots will be up and accessible for the turkeys sooner than anywhere else since they won't have to dig through leaves and stuff to get to them. I wouldn't count it out just yet!! Good luck though!!

Bukket,
Don't run from it too fast! Same thing happened to me about 12 years ago. The turkeys were still in there. Your clothes and boots may stink like an old campfire but I think you'll find you'll be alright.

Pupster

I'm feeling better already. This area has really produced some great deer and turkey over the past 3 or 4 years. In '97 there was a big wind that knocked down A LOT of trees and the wildlife has been thriving becasue of the added cover and browse available. It has been awful hard hunting, though, because of the terrain. This fire is a good thing, but I was afraid it would drive everything out and ruin the spring seasons. I'm going down early Saturday morning to observe and hopefully you guys are all correct!

I can't remember who the "famous" turkey hunter was but in an interview he was asked how soon after a fire you could hunt- his reply was "as soon as it is cool enough to sit down"

Don't sweat it, this area will green up fast and is actually likely to benefit your hunting. I attended a seminar several years ago at the Cedar Rapids Nature Center concerning fire and it's benefits. It really opened my eyes and I think many people misunderstand how much fire can benefit habitat.

The original North American hunters, Indians, used fire purposely to manage the land and we would be well advised to operate similarly today.

This may be the best year you have ever had. In Kansas it seems they burn everything to get rid of pests. One year I shot a gobbler out of a field that was burned the day before.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom