Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Urban/City Bowhunting

tedturano

Hello,
I am moving to Iowa. I am a serious hunter and only shoot mega/mature bucks and don't mind shooting does what-so-ever. I wanted to know if anyone knows about the bow hunting in the city areas. I know there are monsters and that you need to harvest 5 does before you are awarded a buck tag. How difficult is it to get the permits. I heard you have to take a course and pass a shooting test, which will be no propblem. However, do the season's last as long as the state season? Is it only a couple weeks long? I know they do it in Cedar Rapids and Des Moines. What about Davenport/Bettendorf? Are there a ton of guys doing it or do they not want to bother because of the time and the restrictions? Do you have to sign in before each hunt or do you just get a permit? If there is any other information i should know, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
Thanks for your time,
Ted

I have been in one for over three years. Our season starts Sept.15 and runs thru Jan 22. The one in which I am involved awards the first ten hunters that harvest 5 does any any sex tag. There are 10 other tags that go out in a lottery type draw for hunters that didn't get the first ten but have harvested. Although this hunt sounds easy, you still have many-many situations to make it difficult. I have had an any sex tag for three years in a row and have yet to take a buck. I have taken alot of does, I have seen bucks but like you like to go after mature ones.
Even city deer only take so much pressure and move to another area. They eventually find the ground where you can't gain access and they remain safe till the season ends. Other hunters in this special hunt can also mess up things for you. Depending on the area which you hunt, you may not be alone. I have had other hunters come through looking for deer they had shot and messed up my whole morning or afternoon. Not doing anything intentional against other hunters-just being responsible and recovering.
Don't use these situations above to discourage yourself not to get into one of these, I was just giving you a heads-up being an experienced urban hunter and trying to give some hot tips on not expect this to be as easy as many people think. Definately talk to the other hunters in your area. If you all have the same game plan it help not to interfere with each others areas.
Good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom