Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Urban deer hunts.

ironwood

I am interested in hearing from those of you who have been involved in the urban deer hunts available acrossed the state. What requirements did you have to meet, could you earn a buck tag with in the area you hunted, is it enjoyable or just to much trouble, where are we seeing expansion in urban hunting, is there a need for more hunters anywhere? Let's hear from you who are involved.

Mike - I have not done it yet, but plan on it this fall. I do know that you have to take a bowhunter ed course, then take a profiency test at a local pro shop that is certified. I know too that they added two new parks in WDM for the urban hunt. Talk to Onecam about it sometime, he does a super job with it. I'll let you know when the next course is.

I am on a list for the course but have not heard anything about the when of it. When you hear let me know. Tanks

Participated in the Marion urban hunt two years ago , you have to take a proficiency test after you draw , and you have to have written permission from a land owner inside the city limits. No bucks, but it is a great opportunity to see some nice bucks and to put some meat in the freezer.....which in turn makes it easier to be patient with my regular bow tag....like hunting the big fellas but when push comes to shove, gotta get some meat.

River - you just have to shoot 20 arrows at two different yardages, and keep them in the vitals on a 3d or whatever designated area on a paper target if they have you shoot it. I think that's it.

I have particiated in the Squaw Creek Park hunt east of Cedar Rapids. You are required to first shoot a doe and check it in and then you are allowed to use your regular tag on a buck if you choose. I believe they still require a proficiency test, bow hunters safety course, and a short ethics and rules class at the park. It's an 'extra' hunt that has exceptional management. Contact Dennis Gomat at the Linn County Conservation Commission if you need more info.

Has anyone heard anything on a bowhunter safety class in the Des Moines area? I'd like to take part in the urban hunts this year if I can still get into a safety course.

Thanks.

Top Bottom