Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

used boat question

vrod

The good news is I finally decided to buy my own boat and not have to depend on someone else.It is a 88 16' lund with a 40 hp johnson.It is a clean boat that looked well maintained for its age.The previous owner told me he just had new seals put in the lower unit as preventative maintence.On my maidon voyage it stuck in reverse and would not go into neutral.I called the previous owner who said he had not used the boat since the motor work was done and would contact the repair shop.He called me back and said to take it to them and they would check it out,which was cool.Today I find out that the controller at the console had teeth gone off the gears causing the problem.The boat repair shop said they could tell they had been broke for a while and would have been like that when I bought it.
I know that Iowa is a buyer beware state and legally there is no recourse for this matter.I just feel that if the guy has any morals he might offer to help pay for the $500+ repair.My question to you guys would be whether I should even ask the guy?

Tough one there, wouldn't hurt to ask, but if he's some guy you don't know, I doubt you'll get much out of him. Maybe phrase the question as asking to get some of the money back that you paid due to the damage.

i have been there twice and both times it was my responsibility. kinda sucks, but i feel your pain

If he sent you to the shop I would tell him what they told you and see where it goes from there. Never hurts to ask. Worst he can do is say no.

Same as above, wouldn't hurt to ask him. On a side note, the controller should not cost 500 bucks........especially if you can find a used one, which you should be able to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a side note, the controller should not cost 500 bucks........especially if you can find a used one, which you should be able to.</div></div>

You might be surprised by what you can find out on the net. Look and see if you can find the gears you need. I just sold a 82 Evenrude and could find every part for that motor and controls.

Bad deal for sure. I'd have a hard time spending $500 on an older 40 horse outboard. I'd be tempted to put a little more with it and look to upgrade to something newer. Just a thought.

NWBuck

I searched the net and found some used controllers of older models that they still wanted $125-$150 for.Not all controllers will fit and they also need to have power trim which I have not seen one used one online.All I need is one gear out of the unit,but that part is no longer made.As far as the controller,new one is $250 and then you have to buy an adapter for $100+ to connect to old connections.Then you have labor.

Well I got pretty much got what I expected from the previous owner.A big fat not my problem! I feel small claims will gain me nothing,but the satisfaction of the inconvenience to him to appear in court.I hate evil people!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRITRGITR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you remold the teeth on the gear somehow? Can a new gear be cut and put in? </div></div>

Anything is possible with enough time.I just get mad thinking that I just bought this thing and don't get to use it.I can see it getting repaired just in time to winterize it.It will all work out and give me many memories,good and bad.

Ah yes........the wonderful world of buying used equipment. Unfortunately, like myself, you must not be rich. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif Boats are great, but they can be a pain in the butt.........too bad yours had to start off on a sour note. Fortunately, after you catch your first fish out of it you'll forget all about the controller.

Top Bottom