Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Using a bow to fill a Gun Tag?

Nontypcl1

I was having a discussion with a buddy on whether this could be done. I think it has been brought up on here before but I can't remember for sure.

Can a person legally harvest a deer during gun season with a bow if said person has a gun tag?

I just got off the phone with DNR customer service line and I was told no you cannot use archery equipment to fill a gun tag. Not even during late muzzleloader season.

I had thought I'd always heard the contrary. That yes you could fill a late muzzleloader tag with archery equipment but not vice versa. I may have to call the CO on this one to verify.

Wow, imagine that....a DNR employee who doesn't know the regulations. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT ;)

Hmmm....let's hire some more 'non-consumptive' users who don't hunt.....just because they have a wildlife degree.

I think it would be scary to see how many of the employees up in DM in the wallace building hunt/fish.....espescially the 'top dogs' who make the decisions.

I agree. You should have gotten the persons name and let there supervisor know what up. But then again the supervisor might not know either?

Wow, imagine that....a DNR employee who doesn't know the regulations. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT ;)

Hmmm....let's hire some more 'non-consumptive' users who don't hunt.....just because they have a wildlife degree.

I think it would be scary to see how many of the employees up in DM in the wallace building hunt/fish.....espescially the 'top dogs' who make the decisions.

I was at the Cabela's in Prairie du Chien, WI a few weeks ago with a buddy who was going to buy a resident archery license in Wisconsin as a non-resident attending school in the state. The girl working the counter said we couldn't do that, even after pointing it out in the regulation book. Some people..

Pg. 25 of the regs there is a chart. Legal method of take per season. Archery is available for everything except Early ML and the 2 shotgun seasons. Yes, it is included in the Nov and Jan antlerless only seasons as well.

College roommate is a DNR employee in SE, and from what he's told me the hook n' bullet boys of old that actually lived the job are quickly being phased out as they retire with the "new age, touchly feely, never hunted or fished" types but have a wildlife degree.

I just checked the regs, pg 25. I never realized you could do this. I knew that you could carry your bow with you during late muzzleloader season along with your muzzleoader if you had not used your anysex archery tag and had bought at late season muzzleloader tag.
So, tell me if I am right. I have already used my anysex archery tag for this year on a buck. The way I understand this is that I can now go buy an anysex late muzzleloader tag and use my bow again to shoot another buck and put my late season muzzleloader tag on it?

The way I understand this is that I can now go buy an anysex late muzzleloader tag and use my bow again to shoot another buck and put my late season muzzleloader tag on it?

That is correct. You can legally use your bow late season and tag another buck (or doe) using the late season muzzy tag either sex tag.

That is correct. You can legally use your bow late season and tag another buck (or doe) using the late season muzzy tag either sex tag.

:way:, I can't believe I did not know this. I'm surprised I don't ever hear on anyone really doing this to often.

I just checked the regs, pg 25. I never realized you could do this. I knew that you could carry your bow with you during late muzzleloader season along with your muzzleoader if you had not used your anysex archery tag and had bought at late season muzzleloader tag.
So, tell me if I am right. I have already used my anysex archery tag for this year on a buck. The way I understand this is that I can now go buy an anysex late muzzleloader tag and use my bow again to shoot another buck and put my late season muzzleloader tag on it?

If you fill it during the late muzzleloader season, Im sure you knew this and didnt mean otherwise I just wanted to make sure it was pointed out that you can not buy a late muzzy tag and fill it with a bow during regular bow season, the season dates still apply it just allows someone who doesnt gun hunt to hunt the late season if theyve already filled there bow tag.

i don't know about you guys but after a long bow season i look forward to being able to reach out and smack something with the old smoke pole

:way:, I can't believe I did not know this. I'm surprised I don't ever hear on anyone really doing this to often.

That's because the deer are so spooked by this time of year getting them into bow range is very hard. Smoke Pole all the way for late season!:way:

I prefer the muzzy for late season. Like said, they are pretty skittish, plus there's little cover available in the treestand by then.

The only way I would see myself using this law is for some doe management. Unlike some others on here my area, particularly a couple farms, still have a very large deer population and an overabundance of doe. I'd like to use the bow to stealthily kill a couple doe while still being able to have the option of using the muzzy if I'm unable to get it done with archery tackle. However, if a big old iowa giant steps out you bet I'm reaching for the muzzy. :)

If you have both a bow and a muzzleloader in your stand/blind you also have to be wearing orange.I don't think that you can use a bow for the November antlerless season.To fill a November antlerless tag.But why would anyone want to.You could just as easy get an antlerless bow tag.

Top Bottom