Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

using a double bull blind in the snow

antlerfreak

does anyone have any experiance with this? I have a field I want to hunt and with a NW wind I need to be in the middle of the corn field to be in range with the muzz. I plan on getting a snow cover for it, but was wondering if deer would spook from it or will they not even see it. my other option is to take a shovle with me and dig my own blind out of snow in the middle of the field but I figure a blind would be warmer.

Will, as cold as it's been I would throw the shovel idea out, ground has to be froze by now...

Last year I had a very similar situation. I actually just threw up the DB out in the middle without a snow cover and let it sit for a couple days. When I came back to hunt it the deer tracks in the snow said it all, it didn't affect them one bit. I hunted it twice with a buddy filming and we were surrounded by deer both times. No big shooters but the deer were there and paid very little attention. A snow cover would have been nice and surely wouldn't have hurt, but we didn't have one and still had an effective setup. Good luck!!

My experience has been the oposite of what DannyBoy experienced. I have found that if it has not been there for quite some time (at least a couple weeks) the deer are very cautious of the blind. They might come within gun range but my experience has been while bowhunting. If setting up on the spot I would hug an edge and brush it in if possible.

Good Luck!:way:

I was thinking about buying an ameristep snow cover for my dark horses and then an orange blind cap to try this late muzzy. The problem I have is I will have to do a same day set up but hopefully if I set up 200 yards off the timber they won't be so leary of it. The main thing I am worried about is staking the blind down. Not sure what the best way to quietly stake the blind down to the ground when it is frozen.

I have some experience using a Double Bull 360 in the snow during the late muzzleloading season.

I purchased a king size white bed sheet and cut some shooting holes in it.

I then set it up in the evening when I wanted to hunt in it. Deer didn’t seem to pay much attention to it using the white sheet.

I will say that I have not had very good luck when not using the white sheet during snowy conditions.

I have found that when hunting when no snow is on the ground deer don’t seem to like the blind at all with out breaking up the outline somehow. I like to tuck the DBB back in next to some Evergreens, brushy treeline or a brush pile and use some nature cover placed on the blind.

If the ground is frozen use a brace & bit to drill holes at an angle for the stakes.

Good luck. :)

Doesn't the DNR require a blaze orange cap on a blind during gun seasons?

I'd just do what Blake said about the white bed sheet. I have a friend who only hunts Nov. rifle season and pretty much hunts that way exclusively.

Here is my DB Matrix with my DB snow blind cover. I found this at a scheels in ND and was shipped free to the west des moines scheels for me. A scheels employee in ND, that is a member on AT, let me know he still had 2 in stock last year. These are tight and stretch over your existing blind, and have no wind flap like a sheet would offer. You then have to cut holes where you want them. I had several deer walk within bow range and just kept right on walking. Just used it very little last year. Lil buddy heater and a snow blind...the warm way to hunt late season.

[FONT=&quot]
33uczki.jpg

14v4pj7.jpg

287owls.jpg

2vsfgb8.jpg

213hw6.jpg

bgbiv6.jpg
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I need to find one of those covers for my Dark Horse. I've looked all over the internet to no avail. Looks like it's time to call up double bull archery or the primos boys. Just wish the cover had somewhat of a breakup pattern to it. Oh well, should be able to brush it in somewhat.

I need to find one of those covers for my Dark Horse. I've looked all over the internet to no avail. Looks like it's time to call up double bull archery or the primos boys. Just wish the cover had somewhat of a breakup pattern to it. Oh well, should be able to brush it in somewhat.

I couldn't find them either when I was looking other than one on ebay. They used to call them "winter coverups". Maybe we're not looking in the right place idk.

Guys,

Just buy the Ameristep hub style snow cover. It's cheap and will fit the blind. Look at the dimensions of their snow cover and look at the dimensions of your doulbe bull. They are the same and only 20 bucks versus the 80 double bull charged.

http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/covers.html

I think u might be on to something there. I looked at them but didn't realize they were that cheap and only an inch or so difference in the dimensions. Thanks for the eye opener:way:

What the heck?? Isn't the pic in the link Blake posted from ebay the same pic Hardcore posted???
I may have to look at the ameristep one. Thanks.

What the heck?? Isn't the pic in the link Blake posted from ebay the same pic Hardcore posted???
I may have to look at the ameristep one. Thanks.

I am sorry if there is some confusion. :confused:

The photo I posted was copied from the eBay website. :)

LOL!!! The guy takes a pic of MY blind that I posted an AT last fall, and just recently here, and uses it to sell his blind covers. WOW:rolleyes:

A buddy of mine just ordered two of the DB brand off of ebay(the one where the guy stole my blind pic) and he also ordered an Ameristep one like posted here for $20. Him and his body think these will be the cats butt for late muzzleloader.

I just spent two hours last night sewing a Double Bull white snow cover on one of my Double Bull Matrix's. I sewed around the 8 windows I created, and the entire bottom perimeter. This is the way to go imo; much simpler then putting the snow cover on the blind each time you want to hunt in the snow. I decided to keep it all white, and just add brush when I want it. I may setup in areas with no brush or very little, and I want to be able to blend in with an all white area too. Good luck guys; ground blind Bow hunting whitetails is tough.

i ordered the ameristep blind cover for my dark horse- haven't had time to see how it fits, but it looks like it should work just fine!!

Top Bottom