Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Using flashlights....

kansasbowhunter

Shed Head!!!
Just curious to what extent most of you use flashlights when traveling to your stands???.

I personally use them with extreme caution. I think that if you leave it on you risk the chance for something seeing you and the potential for educating the deer. I use a mini-mag lite, turn it on at my truck and hold it in my hand with my thumb covering the light, when I want to use the light I simply lift my thumb off of the light and point it.

I have a friend that is afraid of spiders so he uses a big flashlight and looks for webs when walking the trails. It is kinda funny, he waves that sucker so much it looks like someone is having a grand opening...:)

why dont you just turn it on when you need it instead of holding your thumb over it?? i use a minimag and dont worry about it to much . i just keep it dull and on the ground. i figure if a deer can see the light than it will probably see you walking. id use it just keep it pointed downward. unless you dont need it.

i never get it out of the truck 'til it's time to blood trail... a few minutes outside the truck and most people's eyes will adjust enough to get by w/o one.

My mini-mag is one that you twist the end to turn it on and off. It is a pain to turn it on and off because I am usually carrying my bow in one hand.... My thumb fits perfectly over the end.... I have had it for years and am to tight to buy one with an easy on/off switch.....
grin.gif

the mini mags are the perfect size for deer hunting though. there small and there bright enough for whatever you need to use it for. And you can losing tree steps with em liike a hammer. I am done with my sales pitch!
grin.gif

I shine my light all over the place, Ive never worried about deer seeing it, I've held the flashlight on so many deer before shooting hours in my stand, and none of them even look up, I don't know if they can't see it or not, but i think I would get some kind of reaction when they are grazing just yards away and all the sudden the sun comes out
smile.gif

Those interested might want to look into the Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp. It's an LED that runs on a couple AAA batteries so it's very small and fits easily in a small pocket or pack. The nice thing about a headlamp it is that it gives you hands-free operation. I've heard that a lot of guys like to use them for tracking. Personally, I try not to use any light in getting to and from my blinds, but the Tikka always goes along in case I need it. These headlamps are available from most good sporting goods stores, and cost in the neighborhood of $35.

Though I seldom use it, I always carry my Streamlight pen light in my backpack. Walked right under roosted turkeys without them spooking. The green light is surprisingly bright.

I also use a LED headlamp. I got it at Menards for 12 bucks. It has white and red LEDs. The red are very dim and just enough light for walking in. I would have to say it is the best 12 bucks I ever spent!

There should be no need for a flashlight unless you're tracking a blood trail. Let your eyes adjust and you'll see better than using a flashlight. Besides, if you've done your scouting you should know the woods like the back of your hand. I can just about walk blindfolded through most of the tracts of land I hunt.

I almost always use a flashlight and don’t seem to have any problems with spooking deer. What does spook the deer is all the cussing when I get poked in the eye by small sapling branches, or when some multifloral rose catches my quiver / bow cam, or I step on a pile of dry sticks. I am also trying to avoid leaving a scent trail by brushing against too much ground cover. I think all those things spook deer a lot more than a little flashlight. I don’t care how well I know my properties; I can’t remember every little branch. Besides, I don’t want to take a chance there is another hunter (or trespasser) who gets too excited when he hears footsteps in the leaves.

If the deer are going to see you then they will, light or no light. I would rather use the light to make sure I'm being as quiet as I possibly can. The main reason I use the light is so I dont get shot by some idiot.

Top Bottom