Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Using ground blinds

jlwdvm

I have a pop-up blind similar to a double bull in design(ameristep brickhouse) and was wondering if you think the "black hole" effect of only opening a few windows frightens of alerts deer if they aren't used to seeing the blind? Do deer need time to acclimate to the blind, unlike turkeys? Would it be better to have most of the windows open and just be carefull drawing the bow back? How much do you brush in the blind?

I bought the Ameristep blind this year and have used it with some success but I am amazed that deer are scared to death of the thing. I set it up near one heavily used trail and it took them a week before they started using the trail again and about half the deer never came back at all, just started using a new trail about 40 yards away. Sometimes they still snort and stomp their feet at it when the see it. Here's a pic so you can see how well I brushed it in. You can see how I just keep an area open in one corner to shoot through.

20IMG_0894.jpg

I have managed to get a couple shots out of it, but they can definitely see into it better than you think. You must keep the back of the blind closed and keep the light out by only opening just enough to shoot out of. Most people shoot though the screen because it helps keep more light out but I haven't been able to bring myself to do that. Wear BLACK.

I also used one over a waterhole in Kansas last year and the whitetails just quit coming in in the daylight, although a mule deer doe and two fawns did come in before dark. This one I had brushed in heavily with cornstalks as it was on the edge of a cornfield.

I'm not feeling very good about their effectiveness.

I also used a ground blind a few weeks back and it was like I had a big red flashing light over top of the blind. Every deer that came either stomped and ran and stood looking trying to figure it out before they would spook. I think they are built more with the gun hunter in mind. IMO
Anyone else have any tips or better luck?

Scrape

i hadd goo success with mine when i set it up in august??? an left it all year. I also left the windows open when i was not in it so maybe they would get use to it. I have a lot better louck in the area now that i have a stand and not the bling.

Top Bottom