Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Using Snow on the Ground for Late Archery Season

The Silence

PMA Member
My early archery season here in Iowa has been slower than normal for me as far as normal whitetail activity and sightings. I live quite a ways from where I normally hunt so for the most part I've had to rely on trail cams to monitor normal deer movement instead of glassing in the evenings. During the early season I also set up in stands that worked well as observation stands at times.

I haven't done this much in the past but I'm thinking about waiting for a snow fall of a few inches and then heading down there in hopes of trying to better pinpoint what's going on. I don't want to go deep into any cover but will stay mainly on the edges as they intersect with prime food sources. Like any farmer, the land owner travels around his farm periodically at various times during the day so for the most part deer down there are used to sporadic normal farm activity.

Have you guys ever done this in open farm county, and if so, any specifics that might come in handy? There's also a few places they seem to congregate during bad winter weather as well as a few south facing slopes.

I just hope we get a real winter and snow! Last "winter" was terrible! I am ready for COLD and SNOW.... at least until January 11. ;) Then snow can go away and ground stay frozen for getting work done.

I'm sure your scenario would work.... can certainly see em' better with a white background.

Top Bottom