Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Using your own urine in a scrape?

wtj43089

I know there are a couple threads that purtain to this subject, but i was wonding what everyone thinks. I would like to see how many of you believe in this and maybe proof that a mature buck will frequent this scrape. I would also like to see if mature bucks actually use the scrape rather than keep a distance. I am thinking about trying this but im too scared to mess anything up. Any input would be appreciated. Tyler

every scrape I've ever pee'd in was reworked when checked later. can't wait to test it for real with trailcams this year. gonna try the tampon thing this year too.

I'm not totally sold on this all the pix I've seen on here where people are doing this the deer seem nervous and are not using the scrape just investigating it. Just my opinion.

I'm not totally sold on this all the pix I've seen on here where people are doing this the deer seem nervous and are not using the scrape just investigating it. Just my opinion.

If I had to guess I would think that the nervousness was caused by the human scent left around the area not the human urine itself

This is kind of what i thought as well, all the pictures I have seen the deer stand a distance back and never come up and use the scrape.

You don't even need to pee in them. Just take your boots, rake whatever you got and make a huge scrape under a branch. Deer will visually see it and hit it. Done it a million times with or without peeing in them. Never put a camera on them though.

Sounds to me like you are pretty intrigued by this. Don't be scared, just try it. It's not like every deer in the area will leave. Scared and hunting shoudln't be used in the same sentence, it's supposed to be fun, and I have more fun when I get a ton pics in a week over my pee.

As for thinking the deer looking nervous, not sure about that. Look at this buck, he fell asleep next to my scrape.
sleepy2.jpg

sleepy3.jpg

Just do it and you'll be happy with how many pictures you get. There will never be a better time than right now, they are really hitting the scarpes.

I have been peeing in scrapes for 25 years and I have literally thousands of trail cam pics of bucks and does at these scrapes. Fresh urine is fresh urine, and your own is the freshest you can get.

i am going to try it too. i think some times people give deer too much credit. they are curious animals by nature. just think of how many times you have seen a deer go up to something diff and smell or paw it?? fresh urine is urine to them and they will go to it i would think. i don't think that they can tell what animal it is from. I have pee'd off my stand in a all day sit and had does, bucks alike walk right up to it and smell it. they walk away like no big deal. Sorry for the long winded message, but i am going to try it this year.

Somewhere I read a study on this. I think it was done at the king ranch but I can't find it anywhere. Anyways, it basically concluded that human urine was as equally effective as a deer urine lure. I have done it before and it seems to work just the same. Curiosity perhaps, but deer worked the scrape. I have also taken a leak right out of the tree and have had deer walk right over it, take a sniff and were none the warier.

I personally like to use scrape drippers. I like to set them up as soon as scrapes start appearing in early october and continue to refill them through the rut. I also make numerous other mock scrapes in the area and usually the deer end up keeping those fresh for me.

Last edited:
Never put a camera on them though.

Just curious as to why you say that?
I just started running cameras last year & the pics I had from a camera over a (natural) scrape were some of the best/most interesting I had. Looks like plenty of others do it too.

You've obviously got your reasons, though, and I'm interested in hearing them.

I cant say I have done it but I have definitely just scratched up an area with my boot and had bucks use the fake scrape numerous times. As for the pee situation, Im not totally sold on peeing in a scrape, but Im not saying it wouldnt work. Post some pics if any of you see the peeing in a scrape working. Am definitely interested.

I wonder if fresh piss while drinkin a beer is better.....or fresh piss the morning after drinkin beer would be better. Would the morning after piss be too powerful?? Just my crazy thoughts.

Top Bottom