Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Venison Chilli

Adventure

With temps in the high 30's last night and discussion in another thread about chilli (breakfast, lunch or dinner) it got me thinking about one of my favorite meals. Thought it may be interesting see what some of the favorite venison chilli recipes are.

Gonna make my first batch of the season tonight (inspired by other thread), and although the it's never exactly the same, the basics are as follows:

2 lbs. ground venison browned
4 or 5 12 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 12 oz. cans diced tomatos with green pepper & onion
1 can kidney beans
1 can chili beans
Chili powder and tabasco sauce as desired.

Heat to a quick boil then reduce heat to simmer for a couple of hours. Make plenty 'cause it gets better each time you reheat as leftovers. Necessary condiments include shredded cheddar cheese and oyster crackers. Great complimentary sides include deer summer sausage, garlic cheese bread and cold milk :way:

NWBuck

I'm sort of on the other end of the spectrum, my mom would always use so much hamburger that I may as well be eating maid rite. I still use a pound or so of meat but love dumping extra beans, diced green peppers, and onion in the mix, then simmer it down so its more like a thick stew than soup. Of too runny I add ample amount of Ritz crackers as they then give a hint of butter flavor.

instead of crackers (or, in addition to) try fritos corn chips. i won't even consider making chilli with out a couple bags in the house

I like mine more like a stew. Take deer meat ( not burger I like to use loin ) cubed then lightly brown in pan. Two 16oz cans dice tomatoes two cans chilli beans one onion chopped coarse ( I like big chunks ). Then peppers chopped coarse. I like trying different peppers best has been salsa peppers out of the garden but I have used all kinds. Chilli powder then 8oz of V-8 spicy hot. Put everything in crock pot on low in the morning and and enjoy for lunch and supper.

Great sides are peanut butter sandwich and a glass of milk.

Mobile Cooter

Last edited:
My mom used to put dices up potatoes instead of so many beans growing up. I'm to lazy to make it like that very often but still do ocasionally. I'm with teeroy on the cornchips instead of crackers....also like to add a little velveta and or sour-cream

instead of crackers (or, in addition to) try fritos corn chips. i won't even consider making chilli with out a couple bags in the house

I rarely agree with your line of thinking, but... that is brilliant. :way:

nanny, fritos will be engaged next Saturday.

Then there is the crime against chilli .........my wife's one pound hamburger one can chilli beans one can petite diced tomatoes and tomato juice......... this is a chilli crime I guess I should have made it:(

Mobile Cooter

Spicy bloody marry mix is good too... I like to keep jalapeno juice and use some of that as well. Canned tomato with green chillies are a nice addition. Basically anything that adds spice. Fritos are great.

I like all the above but I use tomato sauce and juice then put in a can of tomato paste. Gives the chilli a velvety texture.

An addition I like is mac and cheese mixed with chilli. Had some left overs of both and mixed them together.

I have also been known to throw in green olives and cottage cheese. After it has cooked and in the bowl.

I grew up in a home that was quite proud to be Norwegian so all the food, including the chilli, was quite bland. Don't know what happened to me but I overcame. I can't eat raw habeneros like I used to. My wife forbids it because she hates to hear me scream in the bathroom the next morning. Only because my screaming wakes her up.

Then there is the crime against chilli .........my wife's one pound hamburger one can chilli beans one can petite diced tomatoes and tomato juice......... this is a chilli crime I guess I should have made it:(

Mobile Cooter

That sounds just disgusting.

for those of you that can your own salsa, after you cook the salsa down, and before you put it in the jars, strain off the juice to make your salsa thicker, but don't throw away the juice!!! can it in jelly jars, or pint jars and add to your chilli.

Whipped up my first batch of the fall last night.

1lb ground chuck browned with an onion and 3 scoops of brown sugar.
1can Rotel
1 large can Tomato Juice
2 cans chili beans
Worcestershire sauce
Lots of Chili powder
hot sauce

Sometimes add shredded cheese and sour cream when its in the bowl with Fritos. Good stuff. Definitely hit the spot.

That sounds just disgusting

Its gonna be a quite one at the Cooter ranch this weekend.......

Started mixin up a batch of my chilli and the wife says whats that for you takin it to work.

I said no its for us.

She replies we just had chilli last night.

My responce was no we didnt........ I got what I like to call the go bonk your self look:thrwrck::eek::D

Good call Fishbonker, I like to use tomato juice and then ad the tomato paste to thicken it up, it does give a a really smooth texture.

This is not chili, but once you make it, I guarantee it will take first place on your list.

TACO SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
·2LBS GROUND HAMBURGER, VENISON
·1 ONION
·1 CAN DICED ROTEL
·2 CAN DICED TOMATOS
·1 CAN WHOLE KERNEL CORN
·2 CANS PINTO BEANS
·1 CAN RANCH STYLE BEANS
·1 PKG TACO SEASONING
·1 PKG RANCH DRESSING MIX
* Fresh cilantro will put it over the top

Fry meat and onion together, once the meat is brown add taco seasoning and ranch mix. Next add Rotel, tomatoes (or salsa), Corn (drained), beans. Bring to boil and let simmer, this is when I add the cilantro.

Serve with Fritos or Doritos and hot cornbread.

Guaranteed hit at any house. :way:

Top Bottom