Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Very, very slow

sw outdoor nut

Well, this is the week I put aside to enjoy the outdoors. I was blessed with a nice doe on Mon evening. I've had every (almost) household problem that could come up, has. I haven't seen any rutting activity at all. All the cameras are picking up nighttime movement only. The only movement I've seen have been young deer, very early and late. Is anyone else seeing better movement? Morning, mid day, or afternoon? Am I alone with what i've been seeing? Thanks for your input.
SW

Nothing over 2 yr olds so far

- Fri pm - couple of smallish 2 yr olds bumping some does
- Sat am - lone cruising 2 yr old - 8:15 am
- Sun PM - two separate cruising 2 yr olds - 5:15+ pm
- Tues AM - lone cruising 2 yr old - 8:00 am

Back at it tomorrow AM

i'm in sw iowa also,i seen a 150 class 9 pointer sat & sunday morning out cruisin he was a 3.5 yr old.& 1 other 3.5 yr old.haven't seen much on the way to work in the am either,but have been told about a few harvests in the last 3 days i have seen alot of big deer at night though,i think it is still in the beginning i start vacation on friday should start to get good by then hopefully.

I haven't been bowhunting very long, but this year has by far been the slowest in my career. I feel your pain, but that aside, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one getting skunked. Gives me hope...

Sunday Morning - one 130inch 8pt and one doe 8:30am

Sunday Evening - one 120inch 8pt and one doe 4:30pm

This morning - Passed a 140s 8 pointer trailing a doe and saw a 120 and 3 does.

It's sad to say but that is all I have been out this year due to the birth of our first child. Its going to be on from here on out!!!

I've been seeing mild rutting activity for the last 1.5 weeks and the past 3-4 days have really picked up with one serious fight and a lot of chasing from bucks that were previously just hanging out and waiting. Not sure why I'm seeing more activity but I'm wondering if it's because it's almost all beans around me? You guys have a lot of corn because I know my muzzy season involved lesser sightings for sure and every farm seemed to be corn.

I agree with Iowabowtech, both places that I am hunting have a lot of standing corn in the area still, and I have not seen as much as in the past. Just need to get the corn out still.

Things have pretty much slowed down my way. Saw a buck tonight but couldn't make out the size and thats pretty much it for this past week. Theirs just to much standing corn where i'm hunting and the moon phases/warm temps. aren't helping either.

Though, it's suppose to cool off tomorrow; It's not suppose to climb any higher than the upper 40's. So, a morning hunt should be interesting. yet, thursday is supposed to be in the mid 50's and we will be seeing the weekend warm up again into the 60's. This probably has been the worst year for buck activity in my career but hopefully, it'll change when the crops are taken out and it starts feeling more like november.

The full moon has had a lot of effect on the daytime movement the last few days.Not to mention the warm weather.I think most of the rutting activity is going on at night or in the corn.I also believe the key to finding bucks right now is to be where the does are hiding,They have been chased and dogged by every small buck for a week now and they are in deep hiding.

I drive 7 miles through the heart of where I hunt each moring, haven't seen a good buck in awhile. Snow, serious hoarfrost, cold, we have it all today, saw one deer.

Hunted friday night saturday monday and tuesday The only buck worht an arrow was in a ditch locked down with a doe at 2:30pm monday. Didnt see a deer Tuesday evening. The farmers are startin to get busy in the fields around me so hopefully by this weekend most of the corn will be gone.

I saw two bucks monday night about dusk from the road, a forky and a 150. Tuesday morning saw a 2.5 yr old in same spot right at daylight. Hunted last night and heard two bucks lock up less than 100yds away but couldn't see them, about 3:30. About 4:40 watched a decent 8 work a scrape on the edge of a bean field then head the other way. Picked up the horns and rattled lightly and he turned a came right in. Stuck him at 15 yds and watched him walk off. A little spike came through at dusk feeding and then spotted a 2.5 yr old ten in the beans. He came down and ran the spike off and hung around at 40 yds, watched me while I was texting a friend to help look for the one I shot. Lost blood trail last night and went back out this am, saw two nice bucks in the beans about 8:30 with a doe, watched us driving through the field 200 yds away.

Watched a 160in 8 super wide on Sat, Sun, Mon night make and check scrapes. My stand was 60 yards from his scrape line, he did the same thing all three nights at 5 oclock on the dot he'd walk across a picked bean field, def one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The only problem was i couldn't get him to respond to anything, grunts doe bleeds, snorts, wheezes i think the big boys are slowly starting to move but just all about putting your time in. Hopefully i'll get another crack at him today!!

While hunting tuesday morning by 7:30 I only saw one small buck cruising around. While flying around at work between 8:30 and 10:00am I saw several nice bucks out in the fields following does arond. I think the full moon is making the deer move more during the mid morning hours. This warm weather isn't helping much either.

After seeing him do the same thing twice...

Watched a 160in 8 super wide on Sat, Sun, Mon night make and check scrapes. My stand was 60 yards from his scrape line, he did the same thing all three nights at 5 oclock on the dot he'd walk across a picked bean field, def one of the coolest things I've ever seen. The only problem was i couldn't get him to respond to anything, grunts doe bleeds, snorts, wheezes i think the big boys are slowly starting to move but just all about putting your time in. Hopefully i'll get another crack at him today!!

I would have set a new stand at say about 4:00P and then plunked him on the third night! :) :)

I had great action this morning filming my brother. We had a 150 -155" mature odd looking 9 pointer and a 160" typical 12 pointer cruising in a CRP field at 60 yards but wouldn't get any closer...really wish I would have taken the decoy.

This was a stand that doesn't really have much activity and is really just a little ditch that runs between a CRP and Hayfield but connects a bottom bean field to some timbered cattle pasture.

This was the most activity ever seen from this stand as there were a few other smaller bucks as well...neither of the big bucks have I ever seen which makes me thing they are on the move here in Monroe County.

Good luck!

Nothing moving around me. Been hunting since Sunday and on vacation this week. Back at the house taking a quick break right now, then heading back out. Deer movement has been aweful this year. Not sure what the deal is, but I can about guarantee there are not as many deer around here as in the past. My neighbors are making sure of that. I can only hope something starts moving pretty soon.

Was out friday and monday and had good action each outing. Friday morning rattled in a mature 10pt that is on my target list. He came in tore up some saplings and made a couple scrapes at 30yds but needed to take a step to his left to give me a shot but never did. Friday evening no mature bucks but a lot activity with young bucks bumping doe around.

Made it out again Monday evening. Had doe all over the field I was hunting next to a thick bedding area at 2:30. Luckily a young 8pt came along and chased them off giving me just enough time to slip into my stand before they went back to feeding. About 4:45 used the buck roar to call in a buck I spotted thrashing some small trees. Appeared to an "ok" buck but was gonna give him a pass, put the bow down and grabbed the camera to get some video as he approached my shooting lane at 40yds. Realizing I had grossly underestimated his age and size I scrambled to get my bow as he passed through my shooting lane never giving another shot opportunity. Proceeded to mentally kick my self in the a$$ as he walked off. Rattled 5 min later and had much larger 170's + buck appear out of range. He freshened the scrape the previous buck made, throttled a large cedar, then continued to scent check the entire field edge from the safety of heavy cover.

All in all a very eventful couple of days in the stand. Can't wait to get out again and hoping the weather man is wrong and cooler temps will prevail as my vacation begins on friday.

Top Bottom