Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Vetran blind hunter tactics

Jethro

I have killed many a turkey with a shotgun even a few out of the blind with a gun but this year will be my first year I am going exclusively with a bow. Other than the blind location and decoy set-up which has already been discussed in other posts, what are some other tips, advice or strategies some of you seasoned turkey archery hunters have experienced throughout the years. Just thought this might be a good topic to share with other IW members since the season is fast approaching and everybody has got the fever to get out. I figure run and gun will really not be an option and I believe this will test a hunters and my patience level for sitting it out and waiting for them to come to you. Feel free to share as little or as much info as you like.

I think the main thing I learned is you gotta place the blind where the turkeys want to be, or are going to be. This sounds stupid but when I first started I kept thinking I needed to try to hide the blind or brush it in, but you don't. I don't know why it was so hard for me to stick a blind out in the middle of a field with a few decoys and give it a shot but it was. I found myself setting up in areas a little farther away from where I knew turkeys would come out at just because there was no cover there, and alot more cover a 100 yards away. I found myself watching alot of birds from a 100 yards away
grin.gif

Liv,
Hopefully I will be hunting out of a blind this season. Can you just stick it up in the middle of a field, place some decoys around and they will come in? I am not trying to be stupid but am really wondering. If so that leaves my options wide open.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes. Put it in the middle of your yard if that is where they end up. They pay no attention to the blind. After hunting turkeys with a gun for many years and not being able to blink without being detected it is very difficult to put it up in the middle of a field but it really doesn't bother them... I would caution you if you are using decoys, make sure they can't sit in the tree and see them. They will pitch down the other way.

you can definitely set up in the middle of the field and have it work. The only downside to doing this for me anyways, is deer do not like it and tend to blow and snort at the blind which I have seen scare turkeys. If you aren't worried about the deer, give it a shot. I don't think turkeys have enough memory capacitance to notice something out of the ordinary.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would caution you if you are using decoys, make sure they can't sit in the tree and see them. They will pitch down the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I always figured you wanted to set them were they could see them after morning light. Stupid question, but why would that be?

I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping the birds would see the strutter deke.

They are stupid birds but when given the opportunity to watch decoys from the roost for 10-15 minutes or so after they can see and before they fly down. There is a good chance they are going to figure out something is up... I try to set up just around a corner or where their view will be slightly obstructed from the decoys. I am not saying that this is an all the time situation because they are all different. These are just my experiences.

Limb,
Funny you say that because a couple of years ago I had a Tom in my front yard attacking my Jake decoy. I know a few places where with a blind I will be in the catbird seat now.
grin.gif

Thanks for the info.

I have to agree with not letting the birds see the decoys from the roost. In the early years I would always sneak in real close and put the decoys up so the birds would see them before they decided where they were going to fly down. Just about the time I thought the hunt was over they would fly the other way. It took a few hunts to realize they didn't like it. I think it has to do with them not seeing or hearing birds fly down and all of a sudden when it's light there's birds on the ground.

Here are my helpful hints.
1. Make sure you peek out EVERY window before you stumble out of the blind to do whatever.....because more than likely there will be a turkey in range of you.
2. Try not to curl up in the fetal position and take a nap on the floor of the blind....cause when you wake up to "what was that noise?" and look out the blind window....the entire flock of turkeys has already worked their way through the decoys, are out of range, and won't come back to calls.
Hope this helps!
grin.gif

On a more "tactical" note, I don't worry about setting up close to the roost when hunting with a blind. When I have a blind, it generally means I have a person with me and getting close to roost sites can be tough with two hunters and all their gear (especially if the other hunter is a newbie and doesn't really grasp how quiet I would like them to be when setting up!) I generally like to set up in areas the birds will eventually be coming to strut and show off for the girls. Sometimes that means birds will be in the decoys 2 mins after fly down...sometimes it means I have to sit for a few hours. At least when you hunt strut and feeding areas you don't have to worry (most of the time) about bumping birds that are super-close in the roost.

My advice is to not use decoys unless you are wanting to film your hunt and wanting the extra show that a decoy may provide for you. Decoys will hurt a hunter way more than they help IMO. If you are going to use decoys, place them 5 yds from your blind, no more. If they hang up at 20 yds at least they are still in range. Tom decoys facing you and hens with their butt to you. Make sure that when you set the blind up in the A.M. dark that you are not facing the east so that when the sun comes up it is in your face and the same can be said for an evening setup and the sun going down. Where a black top inside of your blind, black ski mask, black gloves, and don't have the back windows open in your blind so that you can be silouetted. Don't worry about netting over your windows and eliminate the netting so that you are shooting through a clear unnetted window. No need to brush in or worry about concealing the blind either.

[ QUOTE ]
They are stupid birds but when given the opportunity to watch decoys from the roost for 10-15 minutes or so after they can see and before they fly down. There is a good chance they are going to figure out something is up... I try to set up just around a corner or where their view will be slightly obstructed from the decoys. I am not saying that this is an all the time situation because they are all different. These are just my experiences.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's nice to know. I was planning on setting up real close to the roost.

[ QUOTE ]
My advise is to not use decoys unless you are wanting to film your hunt and wanting the extra show that a decoy may provide for you. Decoys will hurt a hunter way more than they help IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done this gun hunting and had it work. Will they still come close enough for a archery shot by coming to the sound of the call only? I would have figured that they needed a visual to draw them in. I suppose it would have to depend on how pressured the birds are.

This will change my strategy for at least one spot i am going to hunt this year! Back to the drawing board!
doah.gif

[ QUOTE ]
This will change my strategy for at least one spot i am going to hunt this year! Back to the drawing board!
doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I was planning on setting up in a bottom area the early AM close to the roosting site with dekes, but now I think I might head right to the top of the ridge and set-up smack dab in the middle of it. Last time I was there ( Late muzzy season) it looked like a cow path crossing the ridge going from two seperate blocks of timber. Although I don't know if that really matters we couldn't walk around a bend or over a ridge without busting turkeys on the whole farm.

Good Lord guys don't change your plans... You never know what these birds are going to do. Go with your gut, then modify your plan once you see what happens. The first day of the season you may get away with things you wouldn't mid to late... Give er a whirl.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Good Lord guys don't change your plans... You never know what these birds are going to do. Go with your gut, then modify your plan once you see what happens. The first day of the season you may get away with things you wouldn't mid to late... Give er a whirl.
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK! You talked me into it!
evil.gif

Top Bottom