Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Video Camera...

Plowboy68

I know a lot of you guys video your hunts, I'm looking for suggestions for a new video camera, but not necessarily to record hunts. I video A LOT of tractor pulls all summer long, I currently have a cheaper digital video camera that does a decent job, but I'm looking for something that will work better in low light situations as well as maybe offer better quality video.

Any suggestions or experiences are gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Oooh, tough one. Would love to help - can you give me (or PM me) a budget? That will help.

Another thing is - how quality would you like it? How smooth and how important is it to have "non-herky-jerky" footage?

Do you want/need a dSLR - because you can get a nice camera for still pictures and great video in the same piece of equipment.

If that's all you're doing, I would recommend a dSLR and a nice lens that can capture more light. Maybe a Canon t5i (latest model) and a nice f/2.8 IS lens on a fluid head and tripod....?? That will get you great footage!

Hope that helps...

Yes, being able to take stills would be a huge bonus too. The one I have now can take stills, but the quality is sorta lacking.

Budget wise, I'm not really sure. I'm not against spending a few hundred to $500 (ish?) for a good camera.

I'd love to have something with great HD quality, like what a gopro offers, thats 1080p right? I'm going to be buying one of those this summer too for on board stuff.

Budget wise, I'm not really sure. I'm not against spending a few hundred to $500 (ish?) for a good camera.

That will be tough to get good quality unless you buy a used dSLR and have a cheaper lens (kit lens).

If you want decent quality, you're probably going to have to be in the $1000+ range.

There are a few cameras less than that do a pretty good job - can vixia line does a great job as well that would be in that $500+ range...

Sorry I'm not more help..

I'm not against spending the money, I just didn't know what I could get. So much for thinking technology has gotten cheaper over the years..lol

Maybe I'll have to make a trip into Best Buy or something and play around with some cameras and see what might work.

That Cannon camera you mentioned is one sweet unit though. Might actually look into it.

Thanks for the help so far!

If you're looking at going the dSLR route, the best "bang for your buck" is definitely just buying the body only online and finding a nice lens to buy separately.

Best wishes in your purchase

Top Bottom