Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Virginian Wins Calling Championship

blake

Life Member
NEWS:

Virginian Wins NWTF Grand National Calling Championship

2016170.jpg

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Bobby Woods's focus, talent and practice paid off today when he won the Friction Division at the Wild Turkey Bourbon Grand National Turkey Calling Championships in Nashville, Tenn.

"It feels great to win it again; I'm the only caller to do it twice," said Woods, who also won the Friction Division in 2007. "At first I was nervous, but when I began my first call, the butterflies went away."

Every February, callers from all over the nation flock to the National Wild Turkey Federation's National Convention and Sport Show, sponsored by MidwayUSA, to compete in the championships. With more than $25,000 in cash and prizes going to the top callers, seats fill up with onlookers to see and hear the terrific turkey talk.

In the Friction Division, callers are asked to perform a series of calls that imitate a single hen. Some of these calls include the yelp, cluck and purr, kee kee run, and cutting of the excited hen. A panel of seven expert judges score each call and the slightest mistake can virtually eliminate a caller from contention.

Hailing from Dante, Va., Woods used the "Classic Crystal," "Cluck and Purr Pot" and "Kee Kee Disc" made by Woodhaven Custom Calls, to emerge from a field of 24 callers and be crowned champion.

"Winning a title at the Grand National Turkey Calling Championships is like reaching the summit of a mountain. There is no higher place among the turkey calling's elite," said George Thornton, NWTF CEO. "The atmosphere in the room during the trophy presentation is electric. Raising the first-place trophy at these contests means that you have beaten the best callers in the world."

Each year, thousands of outdoor enthusiasts and NWTF supporters rally at the NWTF National Convention and Sport Show. The event features the Grand National Calling Championships, seminars from hunting pros, more than 550 vendor booths, top entertainers at evening functions and more.

The NWTF is a nonprofit conservation organization that works daily to further its mission of conserving the wild turkey and preserving our hunting heritage.

Through dynamic partnerships with state, federal and provincial wildlife agencies, the NWTF and its members have helped restore wild turkey populations across the country, spending more than $306 million to conserve 14 million acres of habitat for all types of wildlife.

To learn more about the NWTF's National Convention and Sport Show, visit www.nwtf.org or call (800) THE-NWTF.

Top Bottom